Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

Paves initial review... my .02 cents... get out your change.

Finally got out with the rally today in my hotel parking lot. Car is COMPLETELY stock including the battery (and charger for that matter). This is my first experience with a bone stock, out of the box RTR setup as a new user would find it. Overall, im impressed with everything but the charger. With the technology out there today, traxxas can surely do better without adding significant cost to the RTR package. The wall charger is junk and will be the first area of frustration and disappointment for a new person in the hobby. A simple 1 or 2 hour quick charger with no buttons or settings would be adequate. Something that allows you to get out and run for more than 15 minutes ever 8 hours. That is my ONLY rant. I personally think the factory 3000mah NIMH battery is decent for an RTR. Its just the charger thats junk.

Now that the rant is over, on to the good stuff.
    First, I have to say, this is my 2nd experience with the TQI radio and im just so impressed with it. I have big hands and its comfortable for me. Its also SO light to carry. Any smaller kid will appreciate the weight along with a set of 4 LiPo AA's (disposables). Controls are easy to use, nothing is overly complicated for someone who just wants to open the box and run without any setup. I tried to approach this thing as if I was new and really think about how each component would feel to a new user. The radio is certainly a huge winner.

The car is really well finished. I didnt find anything that looked out of place or poorly built/assembled. I didnt adjust or check ANYTHING before i ran the car. Not even the slipper. I just charged the battery, installed it an ran. Im only through my first pack but there were no issues. Once the battery was plugged back in, fully charged, the ESC came on with a red light and no issues. Servo was nearly dead centre and took only a tiny bit of adjustment to get it straight. The throttle and brakes were both calibrated properly and worked excellent.

From the very first second I squeezed the trigger and spun the wheel I knew this was a car I was going to like. Last night, when I opened the box I was concerned about how the tires, with their taller, very square kknobs, would perform on pavement. I was worried they would either grip too well and make the car hard to slide, or they would wear extremely fast. Neither are the case. The car will stick if your easy on the throttle and steering inputs, or it will slide if you get a little more aggressive. Once a slide is initiated, I find this vehicle to be very stable and easy to control. Unlike the 1/16 rally that seems to diff out very quickly and easily ends up backwards with just slightly too much throttle or steering, the 1/10 rally can be flicked into a slide and held sideways with both the throttle and steering until you want to exit the slide, which requires only a slight decrease in throttle and steering input. As I said earlier, very predictable.

When I first got my hands on the car I was initially concerned about how soft the suspension was set and how extreme the body roll appeared to be. While I still feel a set of sway bars would be very beneficial here, I was again, impressed by how the car handled on the very sticky pavement I was running it on. The pavement here is coated in a stick rubber sealant. It couldnt offer more grip than it does now. If the car was every going to exhibit excessive body roll or even traction rolling it would be here, and it doesnt. it sets up onto its outside wheels, with what appears to be nearly perfect front to rear weight bias, and slides. I didnt even notice the inside front wheel leaving the ground during the hardest drifts, which i very much expected.

In terms of power, the VXL system appears to do a fine job in this car with the stock gearing and stock battery. Its very evident the car can handle far more power than it has. Its also clear the VXL system is begging for more amps than the stock 7 cell can provide. I would think using a good 2S lipo with stock gearing will likely prove to be the max the VXL system can handle before heat becomes an issue. And, at the end of the day, you have to take into consideration the thousands of people who will be running this car with no background knowledge of brushless systems, gearing, heat etc... in its basic RTR setup, the rally is more than fast enough and stays well out of the temperature danger zone. So this is good. Anyone who wants more from the car likely (though not always) will have more understanding of all the finer electric RC details.

Many have said they dont like the look of the stock rally body. I, for one, love it. I think its aggressive, clean and uncluttered, its got a nice shape and broad shoulders. It looks tough. I love the wing but really wish it was made of plastic in stead of lexan. I fear it will be easily destroyed in one good crash. Time will tell. The lexan used for the body appears to be the standard, thin stock traxxas uses for most of their 1/10 vehicles. its not overly tough, but doesnt seem to crack as much as it wears through very quickly. Its very flexible but I doubt it will last long, particularly if the car is run, and crashed, on pavement often.

After only 15 minutes of running I certainly dont have every aspect of this car figured out. I need more time and my own equipment to really get a complete feel for the car and all its attributes. However, from a new user perspective, I feel this car is a huge winner. Other than the disappointing charger, I cant think of anything a new traxxas customer would find unsatisfactory.

RC Champion
    Thanks for write up Pave, enjoyed it. Looking forward to running today. I'm with you as well with the looks on the body. I love the look of it and paint job etc... Nice and vibrant. A body worth reinforcing for sure IMO.

When I pulled it out of the box that's one of the first thing I noticed was the suspension set-up, here I was reaching for a set of Ten-T's or Power Strokes lol, and told my self give them a chance, run it as is and tweak from there etc...
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Good writeup as always pave. As for the charger totally understand that. I have a shoe box full of those. I can only see your review getting better and better. I kept mine stock for about a day, that was to get it on the road. 5 minutes with the nimh and then a 2S pack for another 30. Once I got the new system in i've only run 3S. Stock gearing didnt stay on long either. I have a bad habit of making things my own. Guess why the only truck that stayed stock the longest was my Digger. Since then not hardly.

Did you have a crowd of people while driving or get any funny looks from the hotel staff? Or did you pull a sneaky and go out the side door while no one was looking??
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Great write up Pave makes me want one even more. And rickwoo if you would have read the entire review he said new to the hobby or beginner would be frustrated with the charger. Again thanks Pave.
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

RC Champion
    Hey rickwoo - I believe Pav is doing a review of the car from his "roadtrip hotel room" and since I'm sure he doesnt travel with his garage, I would place my bet that he has decided to focus his review from the "New guy to the RC world perspective" - as TRAXXAS has decided to focus 70% of their market at the "New guy to the RC world perspective" !

His comments regarding the charger are SPOT ON regarding the new kid, i think, would LOVE to run his RC car longer than 15 minutes a day - maybe 30 minutes if he gets up early enough.

I personally agree at they could provide a stock charger than would cut the charge time in half and not raise the price - THE PUBLIC DESERVES IT!!!!

HERES TO PUSHING AN IDEA TO REALITY!!! Traxxas, pony up on this one.....I almost forgot - "Pretty Please"!
    Last edited by Redsawacs; 11-01-2012 at 12:13 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    ^^
    Exactly, I have the BEST charge setup. But these things are sold to people who have ZERO experience in RC. Since I have non of my own equipment with me here I figured why not try and do a test/review as if I were a complete newb to the hobby. Try and look at it as if this was my first RC project. What would I be impressed with and what would bother me. The only thing that I could find not to like was that wall charger. An onyx 100 costs like $20 or something new... probably costs $5 to make. Im sure the traxxas wall charger costs $.05 to make. But if you had to raise the price of this vehicle (or any traxxas RTR for that matter) by $5 for the sake of adding a decent charger, im sure no one would complain and new users would be much more satisfied. Thats all im sayin.

Thanks for the nice comments, its my pleasure guys. Im a writer... I test things. I was bored. Hehe. This is what happens.

At least it comes with a charger, i paid $600+ for a Summit and it didnt even come with the wall charger.
    And i looked everywhere for it too, till i saw on the box the "required" items and the charger was on there.

Great Review dude

I cant wait for mine.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Champion
    Great review Pave!

Rickwoo: He's looking at it from a newbs perspective. Edit okay I see your side of it.

Digger: I would take the clown car out the side door and hope nobody id's me. Now if it was an adult rc hopped up and breathing fire then maybe I would let people catch me driving it.

Dumpy rtr chargers and poor run times make Traxxas's other charges and lipos look and perform awesome in comparison. They know what they're doing. More money, more money.
    Last edited by BL-Bob; 11-01-2012 at 12:42 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I do wish traxxas offered ARTR's, as I never use the stock battery or radio.

They did for awhile on the slash I think?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    ... Thanks for the nice comments, its my pleasure guys. Im a writer... I test things. I was bored. Hehe. This is what happens.
    And you did a GREAT job!