Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First chassis dyeing.

While not a new build I chanced a couple things around.
    I got rid of the receiver box.
    I'm happy with the chassis, the pics didn't come out that well, its kinda dark so I used the flash and its not a real good camera.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Now for some shock limiters to lower it about half an inch.
    My ofna tires are at the lhs, they called at 7:30pm, I'll get them tomorrow.
    They said another week before the pf8 body shows up, oh well, all good things take time.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 09-09-2014 at 09:55 PM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hey billy, is that blue dye? that's awesome about your tires are finally here. where did you order your PF8? I order mine on eBay and it gets here in like 5 days.

as for shock limiters, I like to use the blue ones that are outside and put it inside.

and here's the difference with one inside
    humay has left the building, peace.

It's black but the cameras flash makes it look like that.
    I'm color blind but the dye was black.
    This is what it looked like when I took it out of the dye.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Does it look blacker in this pic?
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I have some rpm limiters right now, no shock bumpers but thanks for the tip, perhaps for a future endeavor.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    its much darker than the last pics. how long did you soak it?
    here's mine after soaking it overnight

I let it soak for about three hours, thought of over night but got impatient as always.
    I might try to leave the next one over night.
    I'm curious as to how my already blue 2wd chassis will come out.
    The scalpel looks wicked now, I wish I'd done this much sooner.
    I have to get more dye tomorrow when I get my ofna's and knowing me a couple hundred dollars worth of other stuff.
    Sometimes I think I should leave the credit cards and most of the cash home when I go to the lhs (aka candy store).

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I feel the same way, I can't be inside LHS for long or I will end up spending more than what I can afford lol. only time I go to my LHS is when I need a part(s) asap, like when I bought E-Maxx hinge pin then I also end up getting a body clips, can of lexan paint (dark blue), & TRX battery plugs

Looks good! It still has a slight blue tint to it. May I ask a question? I have often thought of dying a chassis. My concern is how well it holds up to scratches? My chassis bottom is horribly scared and if I had dyed it would it be black and grey or does the dye penetrate deep enough to where the grey won't bleed through?
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S 2400 MIP King Headz RPM 3PL

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Looks good! It still has a slight blue tint to it. May I ask a question? I have often thought of dying a chassis. My concern is how well it holds up to scratches? My chassis bottom is horribly scared and if I had dyed it would it be black and grey or does the dye penetrate deep enough to where the grey won't bleed through?
    I personally dont know yet as its my first one.
    I've heard however just like an anodized aluminum part its not that hard to go thru.
    I did notice however a black sharpie works great for small imperfections, I forgot to take some chassis material off so my tekno big bone didn't rub and used one to cover the make/, it did an exceptional job.
    As far as the blue tint perhaps I'll leave the next one in overnight.
    One of the great things about being color blind, it looks good to me,lol.

I just thought of something, I light my hobby room with those newer fluorescent lights.
    Perhaps this is causing a blue tint.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 09-10-2014 at 08:52 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    The dye goes a little into the plastic, but not by much. Light scratches stay black, medium ones go purple/blueish and large ones go gray

But you can always dye it again, so no big problem.

(The gray area originated from going under a 1:1 car and being scraped over the asphalt)

RC Qualifier
    Dying the chassis make it look alot cleanerI've had a hard time getting mine completely black. But I'll do what Humay does next time and leave it over night. Billy is that the car you run the scalpel body with and do you need to run wide tires to fit it better?

Quote Originally Posted by RadReptiles831 View Post
    Dying the chassis make it look alot cleanerI've had a hard time getting mine completely black. But I'll do what Humay does next time and leave it over night. Billy is that the car you run the scalpel body with and do you need to run wide tires to fit it better?
    Yes sir, that is the scalpel chassis, I bought four rear tires for appearance more then anything.
    I just didn't care for the smaller fronts.
    On a good note I picked up my tires and wheels today, on a not so note I came back with a lot more then I went for.
    I hate it when that happens.
    Oh well I needed the tekno 17mm adapters, just not the rest of it,lol.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Not really, I needed to upgrade to xo-1 diffs on the new build also.
    Plus it never hurts to have spare parts.

Thinking about using the ofnas for the upcoming pf8 build, not sure how I feel about the look on the scalpel.
    Opinion's welcome and wanted.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by billy-bones; 09-10-2014 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Second car pic and opinions.

RC Qualifier
    I bet your lhs loves you....lol. I like the xo1 wheels on the scalpel better.

I bet your lhs loves you....lol. I like the xo1 wheels on the scalpel better.
    LOl, I had my own seat at my lhs up north by the summer house, I've only recently discovered the new one down the road a few clicks from the winter place, this one is much nicer and carries most everything.
    I've never seen tekno 17mm adapters on a shelf before, not to mention strc, hot racing and FLM to name a few.
    The rc car and truck section is the smallest of them all as well.
    Planes and trains are huge around here.
    I too like the XO-1 wheels and tires.
    They give a classier appearance IMO.
    The white spokes give more of a muscle look, nothing wrong with that, just not as fitting as classy to me.

Every time I find an rc product I believe to be the best, I buy another tekno product and realize there is no better.
    These are buy far the best quality 17mm adapters I've ever seen, so far I have traxxas, mip and the tekno but have dealt with strc.
    The next build in full swing.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by billy-bones; 09-10-2014 at 10:48 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The build is looking sweet bro! Looks like a quality build with great parts.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardXO-1 View Post
    The dye goes a little into the plastic, but not by much. Light scratches stay black, medium ones go purple/blueish and large ones go gray

But you can always dye it again, so no big problem.

(The gray area originated from going under a 1:1 car and being scraped over the asphalt)
    Thank you for the picture! I was hoping that the dye went deeper than that. The black chassis looks good, just requires constant maintenance to keep it looking good.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S 2400 MIP King Headz RPM 3PL

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I dyed my lcg chassis blue, el sob. I bash it offroad, and the bottom is all scarred up with grey starting to shine through. If you spend most of your time on road it may not happen as quickly.

I'll bet the dye could be brushed on for touching up scrapes?
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

An inquiry on diff fluid weights.
    I've run 30k rear 50k front and am now at 15k rear and 30k front in speed run trucks.
    I'm content with the current 15wr/30wf in the scalpel but want to another setup a try for my new GT8 build, I'm considering 100k front/rear, anyone running this thick?
    The rig will be a straight line rocket only turning at the end of the run.
    My concern is poor response on small corrections, I dont think it should be an issue but it would be nice to hear from someone with experience with this weight.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    An inquiry on diff fluid weights.
    I've run 30k rear 50k front and am now at 15k rear and 30k front in speed run trucks.
    I'm content with the current 15wr/30wf in the scalpel but want to another setup a try for my new GT8 build, I'm considering 100k front/rear, anyone running this thick?
    The rig will be a straight line rocket only turning at the end of the run.
    My concern is poor response on small corrections, I dont think it should be an issue but it would be nice to hear from someone with experience with this weight.
    my Backsl4sh has 100K front/50K rear diff wt. oil and seems to be very stable at high speed, only difference that I find from my GT8 is that my backsl4sh tend to turn wider and that's due to thicker front diff fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    my Backsl4sh has 100K front/50K rear diff wt. oil and seems to be very stable at high speed, only difference that I find from my GT8 is that my backsl4sh tend to turn wider and that's due to thicker front diff fluid.
    Thank you, I was thinking the opposite, 100k rear with 50k front but your experience is far greater then mind in this field.
    I think I will try the 100k/100k, this will provided more data for future reference.
    This will be the last rig I have to upgrade to XO-1 differentials, even the pede has been done.

I'm also wondering about the new 4wd slash, the add says e revo spec diffs, could this mean what it sounds like?

The new build has an 11mm ride height, this may be a bit low but I'm going to give it a try.
    50 weight front and rear in the power stroke shocks, thought of using my pro specs but IMO the ps is still the better unit.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Castle 2650 MM2 combo with 23/50 gearing, diffs right now are 50k f and 30 k rear.
    I will be doing the XO-1 beef up soon (already have the kits) at which point I'm going 100k front and rear.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Pf8 body arriving soon with some other surprise goody's.

RC Qualifier
    It looks good that low! Are you going to extend then arms to fit the pf8 body better?

It looks good that low! Are you going to extend then arms to fit the pf8 body better?
    I want to see how it looks first, I dont want to buy new tekno dog bones, then again I didn't want to buy the tekno 17mm adapters either but their the nicest I've ever seen.

RC Qualifier
    I ended up just extending the rear and I was happy with it.
    Last edited by RadReptiles831; 09-12-2014 at 08:42 PM.

Talk about weird, I put a 3s in the new build to run up the motor, while doing this I immediately noticed one tire wasn't ballooning at all, the other three more then I expected for ofna's.
    After a series of high rpm pulls it slowly started to act as the other three.
    My only theory is the one was glued to the point of sealing it air tight creating a vacuum effect.
    It still doesn't balloon as fast as the others, but seems to be getting closer.

Here are a couple more pics, I put the standard comes with four way tool under it to give an idea of the ride height I'm starting with.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by billy-bones; 09-12-2014 at 10:47 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Hey man here's a tip if you don't want to loose the tekno capture pins that screw into the stub put a small zip tie around it to act like a capture pin it still comes loose but you don't loose the pin it's self. Just a little tip.
    Slash 4x4 spc powered

Quote Originally Posted by Wakesurfer98 View Post
    Hey man here's a tip if you don't want to loose the tekno capture pins that screw into the stub put a small zip tie around it to act like a capture pin it still comes loose but you don't loose the pin it's self. Just a little tip.
    Thanks for the tip, I will definitely keep it in mind.
    I went with dremling a flat on the pin for the set screw to fit in, I read several posts on the situation this seemed to be the general consensus.

Took it out for a 3s run today, performance lacked luster IMO.
    Going to make a 4s run in the morning, should prove more adrenaline lifting.
    Slid into the curb a bit, the carnage was minimal.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The back right rim took the worst of it but I didn't snap a pic of it.

RC Champion
    A little bit of curb rash won't hurt. How fast do you think you were hitting with 3s?
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    A little bit of curb rash won't hurt. How fast do you think you were hitting with 3s?
    I didn't have a gps on board but would be surprised to find much over 50mph, it just didn't seem very impressive.
    This is one of the reasons I like 2wd so much more, their just a ton more fun to run.
    I'll hopefully have a better report after the 4s shot, if that doesn't do it I'll try 5s then 6.
    The 2650 may become a casualty of war but it will be a good time.

RC Champion
    Very nice. Does have a slight blue hue to it. I kind of like it even though it was from the flash lol. Just recently dyed mine on the slash.

Gotta say that is once clean rally!

Quote Originally Posted by mrtwohands View Post
    Very nice. Does have a slight blue hue to it. I kind of like it even though it was from the flash lol. Just recently dyed mine on the slash.

Gotta say that is once clean rally!
    I'm extremely color blind but my girl friend says it looks a bit like a charcoal briquette, I guess three hours wasn't long enough
    I had nothing to keep the water warm, perhaps that had something to do with it.
    I'm fine with it, much better then the stock grey, tho black black would have been better.
    I will leave the next one over night per Humayraya's idea.

RC Champion
    I hear ya Billy. My fiance makes fun of me all of the time because I'm color blind. I kept getting her and my kids even to look at it too make sure it was black lol.

I did mine on the grille in an aluminum pan on low heat. Left the lip open. Water stayed 130-140 throughout the process. Took two hours total and ended up using the whole packet of dye.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I didn't have a gps on board but would be surprised to find much over 50mph, it just didn't seem very impressive.
    This is one of the reasons I like 2wd so much more, their just a ton more fun to run.
    I'll hopefully have a better report after the 4s shot, if that doesn't do it I'll try 5s then 6.
    The 2650 may become a casualty of war but it will be a good time.
    50mph is pleanty fast for me, I'm only reaching 30 right now if i'm lucky.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    50mph is pleanty fast for me, I'm only reaching 30 right now if i'm lucky.
    I'd love to hit 100mph, so far it hasn't happened, 82mph is the highest speed I've actually recorded and that was with a 2wd.
    I may have gone faster with the Scalpel but without a gps who knows.

Bought the pro track arms, variable rate shock kit, rod ends and lunsford steering rods, camber rods had to be ordered, they had steal but I'll wait for titanium.
    I'm hoping to get the body later this week or early next.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    So are you doing the Tekno long dog bones or are you going the hybrid route? And how are the ofna wheels treating you? I have banditos on my gt8 and they are a little too soft and grippy. I had a nice flip when it traction rolled and im not used to that. I think i want to try something different for it.

So are you doing the Tekno long dog bones or are you going the hybrid route? And how are the ofna wheels treating you? I have banditos on my gt8 and they are a little too soft and grippy. I had a nice flip when it traction rolled and im not used to that. I think i want to try something different for it.
    Yes I'm going the tekno long bone route, nothing against the hybrid units.
    The ofnas are sweet, they balloon a bit more then I thought they would but their more then capable of handling the job in front of them.
    When I say they balloon I dont mean like most sc tires, their just not like the XO-1 rubber, those hold their shape great.
    I hear you on the banditos, I put mine on my 2wd rally and even with the lcg it was traction rolling on me.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Did you buy the belted tires? I know my kyosho aren't belted and the tires ballooned at high speed and I bought it preglued and on my first run my two rear tires pop (unglued) and the front were showing separations at the bead so I end up forcing them to come off and reglued it myself, after I did that it was doing fine until I noticed the tires are wearing out unevenly so I stop using it and put it for display lol plus the tires were showing no grip for me anymore thats when I order GRP and I can't believe how grippy it was and no ballooning what so ever, its my only set of GRP with plenty of life still. Sweep are also my favorite and the fact that its bigger than GRP I get better top end, its just a little pricey but worth it buying.

I didn't specify belted so my guess is their not, as for the way their glued, its done extremely well.
    The first run up three of them ballooned slightly and the other acted like it was solid rubber.
    My only theory is the glue job was so efficient there existed a vacuum inside the thing preventing it.
    After the third run up it evened out with the other three.
    They dont balloon as in I fear there ready to come of the rim, I just got used to the XO-1 rubber.
    I watched a video on the 144mph rustler and his ballooned a bit as well.
    Not as much as mine but I believe he too was running GRP.
    I think I will give them a try also.
    On a bad note I went to pick up my pro track tekno bones only to find the part number didn't have the pl at the end.
    I'm sure you know what that means, I hate it when that happens.