RC Racer

3 cell lipos in Stampede 4x4 - can the car hack it?

Folks,

Had the car for less than 1 week. Taken it out twice and each time have snapped a rear driveshaft part. First the right, now the left.

Am running the Traxxas recommended 3 cell 6400mah lipo and not sure why the car cannot come back from grass runs without any jumping or bashing and have broken bits each time.

Ran a 10amp 2 cell lipo with no issues at all but as soon as the 3 cell goes in, the rear driveshaft parts crap themselves. I happy to replace the rear end with aftermarket bits but have not yet found any aftermarket replacements for the driveshafts.

Any ideas or comments greatly appreciated.

Hi crackelakor you want to get mips or tekno driveshafts and gear down to a 9t pinion to run 3s or your motor and esc will melt.so get the esc fan and one for the motor and the alu bearing adptor 6893x then you will be good to go...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Ran 3s on mine with sv2/3800, 16t pinion and badlands. Motor was cool but esc overheated and shutdown after 200 degrees. So I'm putting the motor and esc in my rustler and I have a mmp/2400 on the way for my Pede

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

RC Enthusiast
    My rears would snap in seconds on 3s. Get the MIP XDuty CVDs for the rear. My stock fronts lasted me 10 months with occasional 3s use. However, I did replace them with MIP after they broke. eBay $50 a pair hurts the wallet initially but it's worth it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have run good 3S LiPo's in my Stampede 4x4 for over a year now and the rear sliders are just now starting to looking worn and twisted. So drive shaft failures must depend on how the truck is driven.

RC Qualifier
    Jakey, it also depends on the motor. High torque motors like the castle 2400 or really anything under 3000kv will snap the shafts with little to no effort. Tires like the Trenchers are also a factor. Mine took a couple speed runs up and down the street and shafts went flying. I assume if you drive carefully in soft dirt and dont punch the throttle, shafts might last longer.

I think there are more than a few variables involved here but driving style and set up are among the biggest. I m still running the original shafts that came on my truck when I bought it in March. Granted I only run 2s but the shafts still look like the day I brought the truck home. I run smaller tires with a Castle 3800kv motor and mostly on the street and grass.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter33 View Post
    Jakey, it also depends on the motor. High torque motors like the castle 2400 or really anything under 3000kv will snap the shafts with little to no effort. Tires like the Trenchers are also a factor. Mine took a couple speed runs up and down the street and shafts went flying. I assume if you drive carefully in soft dirt and dont punch the throttle, shafts might last longer.
    I run the stock VXL system, GOOD 3S LiPo packs and Trencher tires. The truck gets run primarily on mowed grass, with some dirt and occasional pavement speed runs thrown it. Most running includes full throttle bursts while trying to control the out-of-control wheelies. Every now and then I'll try some back flips. Lastly, the most brutal runs are serious play/chase time with two Jack Russell Terriers. The one Jack Russell has been known to grab and shake a wheel so violently as to immediately snap an axle off and he has done so more times than I like to think about. So no, the truck is not driven carefully.

RC Champion
    I snapped or nearly snapped ( twisted like a pretzel ) shafts on my slash 4x4 almost every pack running just 2s 20c cheap packs.. It was the jumps that killed mine I believe.. I would run a small back yard track.. Anyway. Took the plunge and got MIPs and the breakages stopped for well over a year.. Now I am getting some worn barrels and pins in the joints of my MIPs but its really no shame for them..

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Racer
    Thanks to all for advice. I plan to run 3 cells in them mostly and have ordered the MIPS overnight and cooling fan too. I don't mind taking the blame for breakages when I am doing something stupid or using parts which Traxxas don't endorse however Traxxas should not recommend or imply that the 3 cell 6400mah battery is ok to use without sufficient warning and recommendation for parts upgrade. At least the newby like myself goes in with eyes open and can make the necessary investments up front to equip the car with stronger bits. The way I have driven the car now twice on the 3 cells clearly indicates to me that it cannot handle 3 cells without additional upgrades. Love the car and all but it obviously has a weak driveline especially when it keeps breaking in the same spots. I can assure you, not jumping just hard accelerating on a mowed grass part which has some hill curves. Looking forward to the new shocks and MIPS I just ordered. Thanks again.

Do not forget the bearing adaptor 6893x the stock one will melt on 3s very quickly dude but this upgrade is a must...peace

RC Racer
    Thanks again. Will order that too.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Do not forget the bearing adaptor 6893x the stock one will melt on 3s very quickly dude but this upgrade is a must...peace
    How many of these bearing adapters do I need to order?

just the one and it replaces the plastic one on the slipper shaft dude...peace

RC Racer
    Legend. Thanks heaps

No worries just looking after a fellow stampede brotherif you need any more help just holla.......peace

RC Racer
    Hi again. I have the Traxxas cooling fan on order and I have read that some people also install additional fans to cool the motor. What good options exist for keeping the motor cool? I plan to run a lot of 3c power through it...

Get a heatsink with a fan for the motor and make some small holes in the windshield to let cool air flow over your esc and motor that should keep your truck happy man...peace

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=josh62685;5324327]Ran 3s on mine with sv2/3800, 16t pinion and badlands. Motor was cool but esc overheated and shutdown after 200 degrees. So I'm putting the motor and esc in my rustler and I have a mmp/2400 on the way for my Pede

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE
    Yea I run the same setup minus the 16 tooth pinion I have stock spur and 12 pinion I believe....anyways I have the same issue the esc is always way too hot for me and I run the included motor fan over it....I'm really considering Picking up a mmp
    Last edited by eschmitt4; 11-01-2012 at 07:32 PM.

RC Competitor
    man i must be doing something way wrong or having to much fun,i blew through axles like toothpicks on a stock batt,am running the revo slipper,mmps fixed that,but lipos will be soon then get to realy tear it up

RC Racer
    Does anyone know if the Integy Super Motor Heatsink + Cooling fan will work on the Stampede 4x4 VXL?

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...8#.UJgLN7cayc0

I like the look of this one too.

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...8#.UJgMOrcayc0

Would most cooling fans for the 540 size motor fit or is it not that simple?

Both fans would fit with no probs dude and make sure you get the traxxas one for your esc

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Both fans would fit with no probs dude and make sure you get the traxxas one for your esc
    Thanks. ESC one already ordered and just about to order one of these ******* ones. Thanks again.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    I have run good 3S LiPo's in my Stampede 4x4 for over a year now and the rear sliders are just now starting to looking worn and twisted. So drive shaft failures must depend on how the truck is driven.
    Might have missed it, but has proper slipper adjustment been mentioned??? I know running some pretty good 2s batteries myself(Thanks Jakey!) on carpet with a very tight slipper setup on a small tight super traction track would screw the the shafts into candy canes within a few race days. These are some of the most harsh 2s conditions a driveshaft will see and I expected them to fail often. Was very conscious of weight on my race trucks driveline and traded durability for less rotating mass by sticking with the stock shafts. $15 for a new set of rear shafts every 3 weeks was cheap for what I was spending racing. A small slipper adjustment may exponentially extend the life of your shafts. Dont underestimate the importance of a properly adjusted slipper.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Might have missed it, but has proper slipper adjustment been mentioned??? I know running some pretty good 2s batteries myself(Thanks Jakey!) on carpet with a very tight slipper setup on a small tight super traction track would screw the the shafts into candy canes within a few race days. These are some of the most harsh 2s conditions a driveshaft will see and I expected them to fail often. Was very conscious of weight on my race trucks driveline and traded durability for less rotating mass by sticking with the stock shafts. $15 for a new set of rear shafts every 3 weeks was cheap for what I was spending racing. A small slipper adjustment may exponentially extend the life of your shafts. Dont underestimate the importance of a properly adjusted slipper.
    When you have power its a must man...peace

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Some do run 3s power, and metal shafts are not always a must. The op is running the stock motor on 3s, and you know Jakeys packs are putting out top power, and he is getting the shafts to last... Just sayin'...

i run my slipper loser since my last run and its much better running on 4 wheels instead of 2...peace

RC Racer
    Some do run 3s power, and metal shafts are not always a must. The op is running the stock motor on 3s, and you know Jakeys packs are putting out top power, and he is getting the shafts to last... Just sayin'...
    Went to my LHS and asked him why I was snapping shafts everytime I took my 4x4 out on 3cell. He told me to not accelerate from stop to full throttle and it should be good to last longer. Took it out yesterday on 3cell and took his advice. So far so good. I start gradually and when I have some motion, then gradually work my way up to 100%. The thing launches into a wheelie even with a 568gram metal roll cage. 3 cell is insane and I plan to run it more on 3 cell than 2. Just need to keep that motor cooler as it does get hot.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackelaktor View Post
    Went to my LHS and asked him why I was snapping shafts everytime I took my 4x4 out on 3cell. He told me to not accelerate from stop to full throttle and it should be good to last longer. Took it out yesterday on 3cell and took his advice. So far so good. I start gradually and when I have some motion, then gradually work my way up to 100%. The thing launches into a wheelie even with a 568gram metal roll cage. 3 cell is insane and I plan to run it more on 3 cell than 2. Just need to keep that motor cooler as it does get hot.
    Even though it may not seem like it, trying to accelerate the extra weight of the roll cage could have a noticeable impact on the drive shafts.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Even though it may not seem like it, trying to accelerate the extra weight of the roll cage could have a noticeable impact on the drive shafts.
    I have no doubt that the extra weight will also add additional stress.....

568g is 1.25 lbs! Thats about a 25% increase in weight.

RC Enthusiast
    I run jato shafts on my electrick rustler on 3s lipo and im NOT easy on my truck. Ive snapped whole chassis in half but my jato shafts have lasted. If im right the stampede has the same length A-arms as a rustler so they may be a slightly stronger yet still cheap option for people with this same problem

RC Racer
    568g is 1.25 lbs! Thats about a 25% increase in weight.
    Yes. And don't forget the 2 cell and 3 cell lipos are also around 500grams as well. I just installed the Traxxas big bore shocks on the car and need a firmer set of springs to cater for this additional weight.