RC Qualifier

Burning up ground wires.

Jimmie N and I have been trying to figure this out have come to a point neither one of us is real sure anymore, so turning to the board for more input.

Here is what is going on. With the normal parallel battery connections was not having any problems at all.
    As soon as the switch to a series battery connection (Tekin system) the trouble started. First burned out the ground on Rx Controlled on/off switch, fixed that and then burned out the ground on the CCBEC. Both are feed from leads off the wires from the series adapter.
    On the above burn outs had the feeds one of each battery plug. What I now have done is put both leads off one battery connector. Rx Controlled on/off switch only draws power when the fans are turned on via the Tx, BEC draws constant power so both off one battery will draw it down faster but my self feel not that bad as the switch only draws power when the fans are turned on.

All the wiring in the truck as been redone and wires where tinned before connectors where crimped on. Everything looks good and test great with a meter.

Here is a drawing of how the series adapter is now wired. Can anyone see any potential problem, as it is getting real expensive burning things up.

Thanks ahead of time

This schematic shows wiring

This is a detail of the series adapter
    Endeavoring to persevere !

Quote Originally Posted by Edstoys View Post
    This schematic shows wiring
    the drawing is wrong, Or your series adaptor is wrong. I'm guessing the drawing is
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC Champion
    Basically you need to do two things:

FIrst, the FIRST battery goes like this:

POSITIVE OUT
    NEGATIVE to OTHER battery POSITIVE

THEN other battery is NEGATIVE OUT.

(You need to swap the + and - of the second battery on the top right)

THEN, you need to change the BEC to come from the SECOND battery, not the first. It is getting it's positive and negative screwed up. If you ever tried to ground it it would blow a fuse, or switch or any of that. It needs to get it's POSITIVE and NEGATIVE from the SECOND battery.

If you don't do that, when you connect the CH1 to the receiver that the ESC is on, you instantly screw up the ground and pop goes a wire - AT LEAST!

Good luck! =)

RC Qualifier
    Looks like I need to set down with my Series adapter and make a drawing with it sitting next to me and not from memory, because this is a premade Series adapter from Progressive RC. Will go take a look at it and see what is going on Krall and thanks.
    Jimmie figured you would be the one to find the problem

As far as the first one goes should have never posted it as it is really not how it wired was trying to show that both sets of feeder leads come from the same battery connector.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Basically you need to do two things:

FIrst, the FIRST battery goes like this:

POSITIVE OUT
    NEGATIVE to OTHER battery POSITIVE

THEN other battery is NEGATIVE OUT.

(You need to swap the + and - of the second battery on the top right)

THEN, you need to change the BEC to come from the SECOND battery, not the first. It is getting it's positive and negative screwed up. If you ever tried to ground it it would blow a fuse, or switch or any of that. It needs to get it's POSITIVE and NEGATIVE from the SECOND battery.

If you don't do that, when you connect the CH1 to the receiver that the ESC is on, you instantly screw up the ground and pop goes a wire - AT LEAST!

Good luck! =)
    To make sure I understand you correctly, this is how it needs to be changed?

Thanks Krall hit wrong smiley in previous post.

RC Champion
    No! The way you have it there, the fan would be getting the combined series voltage, not a good idea. The BEC can no doubt handle it (it can handle up to 6s) so it's not a big deal.

What I would do is.... ............. I'll draw up a diagram for you and.. yeah.. just don't do anything yet!! =D

RC Champion
    Two things I don't understand in your diagram:

POWER SWITCH
    FAN

Not sure what kind of power switch you would be using, so I left it out of the drawing, and secondly the FAN can just be hooked in to the BEC side as well, no need to take it directly off of the battery.

You cannot supply power from the ESC to the RX, AND the BEC to the RX, so make sure to disconnect the red wire from the ESC in to the RX.

Hope this helps?

*** EDIT ***

Actually, if you are running a 3s lipo, you could just power the fan directly from the balance connector!

RC Qualifier
    Krall IM sent about the Fan switch which I am trying to control remotely and the Receiver Controlled on/off switch LUM-ONF allows this but needs power from a battery.
    Your drawing is totally understood and the way it was set up with the parallel (titan) but when I got the Tekin and Series adapter that threw me for a loop. Might have to ditch the Tekin system and go back to stock so it can be run some before the 20th of Nov. Or get a Dewalt.

RC Champion
    The way I have it there, IS series though.

RC Champion
    Ooooooooh a RECEIVER CONTROLLED switch, not an ON OFF switch for the receiver I geeeeeeeeeeet it! All the RX switches I've used, get their power from the RX itself, not externally like the one you're using. Sorry, I thought you were making a POWER switch for turning the car on and off.

Yeah I've never used that receiver switch you're talking about - never hooked on up - but they diagrams on that site you sent me show how it is to be hooked up, have you seen them?

RC Champion
    So I've redone it, and this way would work fine for you: (Edited, I forgot about not knowing what voltage fan you want to run, so here it is running off of just ONE battery - make sure it's the battery that has NEGATIVE coming out, and positive in the middle)

If you don't care about the voltage of BOTH batteries, you can hook it up this way:

Full Size
    Last edited by krallopian; 10-30-2012 at 10:33 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    So I've redone it, and this way would work fine for you: (Edited, I forgot about not knowing what voltage fan you want to run, so here it is running off of just ONE battery - make sure it's the battery that has NEGATIVE coming out, and positive in the middle)

If you don't care about the voltage of BOTH batteries, you can hook it up this way:

Full Size

Thanks Krall

RC Qualifier
    Tu

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Qualifier
    /\ sorry about that. I just saw that I somehow posted that and it's too late to take it down. I'm gonna chalk it up to smartphone gremlins.

Did u get it figured out?

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Qualifier
    Ya I got it figured out but taking me a while to do it all. Upped my pain meds so can only work on it an hr or so then go back and double check everything that was done then move forward. About got it and should be able to put some power to it this evening.
    Thanks for all the help and hopefully everything is done right and no more burned up wires, which was getting real expensive.

RC Champion
    No problem at all, should work no problem! Just be sure all solder connections are isolated and it's put together the way I show it in the picture - keeps all the grounds common.

Hope you get it all wired up soon! =)

RC Qualifier
    Krall used the top diagram in post #11 and just got threw doing my last connection and checking everything.
    Decided to take a break before hooking the batteries up. Will look it over again before doing that, all solder joints are solid. Started to take a couple of pics but figured you would probably not be able to tell anything from them. So will go back to it in a little bit and check things over again then hook batteries up without the BEC or fan connected at first. Then shut it off and hook up the BEC and so on so if by some off the wall reason smoke shows up will know where to start looking.

RC Qualifier
    Going back to the Titan! Have had it with the Tekin system. Hooked the batteries up without the BEC hooked up or the fans, no smoke. Turned everything off and unhooked the batteries and hooked up the BEC then hooked up the batteries, with hooking up the second batter the transistor or whatever the black thing is on the end of the CCBEC blew out, meaning with a bang it blew a hole in the end of it. So am threw messing with the Series adapter which means no more Tekin unit, tired of messing with it as well as burning things out.
    Krall fallowed you diagram exactly.

RC Champion
    This is horrible!!?

The capacitor blew. Is this a unit that was already damaged?

What batteries are you using?

RC Champion
    I've been looking in to why this might have happened and I've found that a lot of people have had this same issue. Look up, "blown capacitor ccbec" and you'll be shocked at how many results there are! They all rave about CC being good with replacing them, so maybe give that a shot? I have two or three, and haven't yet had an issue with mine so I know they're not ALL bad!

RC Qualifier
    That's the first one I have trouble with and it was brand new. To late, Tekin is out of the truck and almost threw wiring the Titan back in. Might have been a bad CCBEC but either or blew at the wrong time, if ya know what I mean. Got 19 days left before surgery so want to be able to run the truck some.
    Krall thanks again for the diagrams and help, also want to thank Jimmie for all his help with it. Just tired and want to be able to pick it up and run it.
    Can not mention the batteries as they come for the wrong place, so that should give you an idea of what batteries are being used.
    Off to bed, early doc appointment.

RC Champion
    ... haha I just placed an order for another one of those batteries! Save 25% but wait a month.... oh well.

I know what you mean about just wanting to run it! I haven't run mine since the day after I got my new motor and esc installed! It's in pieces beside me still waiting for parts parts parts. BUT I've been looking over your build thread time and time again for ideas on rear steering - punk rc should be here any day now.

ANYWAY, bummer it blew, but glad you have the Titan to rock! *cheers