RC Qualifier

Fan for stock motor?

Does the Castle motor fan fit the Velinion motor? Would it make the thing run cooler?

RC Qualifier
    yes I believe the 14 series blower will fit and yes it will cool your motor down

RC Competitor
    I use the integy heat sink fan. It does make the motor run cooler. I have ordered 2 though. The first one I got worked fine but the second one I received the fan didn't work. Integy has horrible customer service. Email service only. Took them over 3 weeks to get back with me And said I could return the fan at my expense. As it is only a 15 dollar part it just wasn't worth
    returning.
    Thanks to tower hobbies for replacing the fan for me. I called them on a Monday and had the the replacement fan Friday.
    Slash 4x4 - 2.8 Trenchers
    !!!!!KEEP BASHING!!!!!

Just be sure to get a single fan for the motor. A dual fan setup will over load the bec in your esc and cause your truck to freeze in place.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S 2400 MIP King Headz RPM 3PL

RC Qualifier
    I have the Integy model but the fan sounds so weak I am questioning whether is makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Oprime110 View Post
    I have the Integy model but the fan sounds so weak I am questioning whether is makes a difference.
    It does make a difference. If you put your finger by the motor can, you can feel the breeze from the fan.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    It does make a difference. If you put your finger by the motor can, you can feel the breeze from the fan.
    How is yours geared with that setup.

RC Qualifier
    I use the Castle 36mm blower. It fits right on the motor and just uses zipties to be held on. $9 and 10/10!

RC Qualifier
    Just be sure to get a single fan for the motor. A dual fan setup will over load the bec in your esc and cause your truck to freeze in place.
    It will not. A fan draw around 0.1-0.2A. The BEC leave at least 2.5A.
    If you don't already are on the limit, like high powered servo, there's no problem with two fans. Whether two on the motor or one on the motor and one on the ESC.
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by vladsly View Post
    I use the Castle 36mm blower. It fits right on the motor and just uses zipties to be held on. $9 and 10/10!
    So it doesn't stay on by itself? Does it clip? What kind of temps do you get with it and what type of gearing are you using?

RC Qualifier
    This will work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321040764015...84.m1497.l2649

But this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOBBYWING-EZ...71226700343%26

With this mod:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...a-heatsink-fan

Are more effective.

You can also buy from a site not to be mention here...
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC Racer
    i just got my first slash 4x4 a couple days ago i bought it brand new and i have the esc fan on it but i was wanting to get both (the motor fan and the esc fan) but can you run them both and if so how?

RC Qualifier
    I ran the Integy single fan heatsink today and it was noticeably cooler. It was a pleasant surprise. I also ordered Castle's 1/10 cooler and will replace the integy with it. The Integy will be moved to my Stampede.

I was in the 150s today with the fan using the following gearing: 15/54 on grass.

I am trying 16/54 tomorrow.

RC Racer
    nice yeah i was able to get my slash with different gearing up to 80(: and it didnt overheat or anything with the fan

[QUOTE=Sverige;5549003]It will not. A fan draw around 0.1-0.2A. The BEC leave at least 2.5A.
    If you don't already are on the limit, like high powered servo, there's no problem with two fans. Whether two on the motor or one on the motor and

Let me clarify my statement. If you run a fan on the esc and a dual fan on the motor it will overload the bec. That is why I always say a single fan on the motor. I am assuming that a person would also run a fan on the esc.
    Last edited by El Sob; 07-25-2013 at 09:38 PM.

RC Racer
    alright i just encountered a problem....... the piece of metal holding the pinion on bent do i need a whole new motor?

Quote Originally Posted by jackdruley View Post
    alright i just encountered a problem....... the piece of metal holding the pinion on bent do i need a whole new motor?
    You don't need a whole new motor, you need a new rotor for your motor. If you are running the stock motor, I believe you can get a rotor for $40.00.

RC Racer
    alright or is it covered by warrenty cause its 2 days old?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdruley View Post
    i just got my first slash 4x4 a couple days ago i bought it brand new and i have the esc fan on it but i was wanting to get both (the motor fan and the esc fan) but can you run them both and if so how?
    Yes, no problems. You plug in the motorfan in the receiver (in the receiverbox).
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC Qualifier
    Let me clarify my statement. If you run a fan on the esc and a dual fan on the motor it will overload the bec. That is why I always say a single fan on the motor. I am assuming that a person would also run a fan on the esc.
    Ok, but I disagree.
    I don't think 3 fans (~0.5A) will automatically overload the BEC.

I ran my Stampede (before I installed power-LED, with a seperate UBEC) with 2 fans and 20 LEDs (~0.28A) without any problems.

I don't think there's any problem when you use Traxxas 2075. But if you run a Sav÷x servo it might...
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

Quote Originally Posted by Sverige View Post
    Ok, but I disagree.
    I don't think 3 fans (~0.5A) will automatically overload the BEC.

I ran my Stampede (before I installed power-LED, with a seperate UBEC) with 2 fans and 20 LEDs (~0.28A) without any problems.

I don't think there's any problem when you use Traxxas 2075. But if you run a Sav÷x servo it might...
    Again, it has happened to numerous members on this forum. It doesn't happen immediately but in my experience it happened and I have had others argue as you are doing. If you do a forum search you will find plenty of threads asking why their truck is frozen in place and won't move at all. My only guess is that the bec isn't rated to handle the power that it says it can. I appreciate your argument but experience has told me differently.

Oprime, are you asking how I have my trucks geared? The Castle Creations fan shroud is held onto the motor with two nylon ties. The Integy clips onto the motor. Sorry it took so long to respond to your questions.
    Last edited by El Sob; 07-26-2013 at 08:00 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Again, it has happened to numerous members on this forum. It doesn't happen immediately but in my experience it happened and I have had others argue as you are doing. If you do a forum search you will find plenty of threads asking why their truck is frozen in place and won't move at all. My only guess is that the bec isn't rated to handle the power that it says it can. I appreciate your argument but experience has told me differently.
    Ok, I see what you mean.
    I haven't experienced any problems, but like you said, others have. Can't argue against that...
    (And I feel no reason to search if there might been any other circumstances/parameters.)

It's a good thing to know what you're doing.
    Nothing wrong being on the "safe side"...
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC Qualifier

Oprime, are you asking how I have my trucks geared? The Castle Creations fan shroud is held onto the motor with two nylon ties. The Integy clips onto the motor. Sorry it took so long to respond to your questions.
    Yes, how do you have your truck geared? Also, any idea why a 16T pinion would cause a squealing noise:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...quealing-sound

Yes, how do you have your truck geared? Also, any idea why a 16T pinion would cause a squealing noise:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...quealing-sound
    My Slash for speed runs is geared 22/50 on 4s which has been good for 79.79mph. My Ultimate Edition is geared 19/54 and I run it on 3s. I have never done any GPS on it so I don't know how fast it goes. Also I am running the Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro 2400 motor system in both of my trucks. I have recently found that the aluminum hub bearing adapter for the slipper clutch can make a squealing noise.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by vladsly View Post
    I tried installing the CC Blower and the wires from the Velinion motor kept getting in the way. Any ideas?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by simon32man View Post
    yes I believe the 14 series blower will fit and yes it will cool your motor down
    I have installed the CC Blower for the 1/10 scale vehicles and it does drop the temps by about 20 degrees. It is leaps and bounds better than the Integy heatsink and fan.

RC Qualifier
    Glad you like it and it drops your temps...

RC Champion
    I tried installing the CC Blower and the wires from the Velinion motor kept getting in the way. Any ideas?
    Wires as in the temperature probe for the TQi telemetry, or as in power wires?

I too was thinking of adding a fan, but was concerned with the TQi sensor and wires getting in the way of the band clamp or what ever holds the fan in place around the motor.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Wires as in the temperature probe for the TQi telemetry, or as in power wires?

I too was thinking of adding a fan, but was concerned with the TQi sensor and wires getting in the way of the band clamp or what ever holds the fan in place around the motor.
    No, the motor wires. It is easily avoidable by turning the fan until the wires are out of the way and then turning it back in place.