Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!

Complete 4-Tec teardown and rebuild BL & 3.3 diffs

I have been wanting to do this project for some time. I knew it was only a matter of time until the Sidewinder system and lipo power destroyed my diffs. It was ok for awhile, but alas, the time has come to gibe the old girl the rebuild she needs. I figured if I'm going to go that far, I might as well go all out. I did a bit of research and got my parts list from the 3.3 diff sticky and added some more. I am going to replace all the pulleys, bearings, belts and install 3.3 Nitro diffs front and rear. I got a new bumper, foam, sway bars, rear side plates, and upgraded output yokes. I'm also shopping for some new wheels and tires and I'm also considering making a lower chassis from a piece of aluminum. I've cut several for other custom builds, and by comparison, this one would be quite easy. I got everything from ebay, but am still waiting on a few parts. Yesterday, I got two completely built new diffs with bearings for fourteen dollars including shipping! I have two sets of tires and wheels for this car already, and I'm considering getting drifters. Looks like fun. I also discovered that my rear shock tower is cracked, and I believe RPM makes a replacement, so I'll be getting one of those as well. I might also get some aluminum shocks for it since I'm going this far. This will probably take some time, as I'm busy remodeling my house. (See my thread in the Alley) Here's some pics of what I have assembled so far.....

No need for a body; this one hasn't seen much use....

Looking a little rough....

The bumper is pretty much gone. Jumping your 4-Tec in rally trim will have this affect after awhile!!

The 5700 is taking a toll on the internals....

My parts collection so far....

Not sure if you can see, but the tower is broke in two places. 2

Not bad for $14!!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 10-23-2012 at 05:26 AM.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Champion
    Wow looks good maxx, I've been thinking of doing the 3.3 diff change out to. I replaced the stock diffs already once and there holding up good so far with the vxl system. Your really missing out not haveing drift tires I think that's the best part of it, you can get a set cheap.
    Let us know how the diff change out goes and show us how you do it.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I got my side plates and yokes in finally, and with plenty of rain coming, I may get this project underway soon! First up will be tear down and cleaning. I don't work tomorrow night, so project 4Tec may begin....

RC Champion
    I haven't really gotten started with my 4tec rebuild, but I have collected a few more parts. I found an RPM rear tower at a hobby shop and I also received my Hong Kong drift tire/wheel combo. I also found a stash of 4tec parts at a shop, and got them all at a discount price. I got some axle shafts, upper and lower control arms, carriers, and some other stuff. I'm currently reworking three other trucks also, and with winter coming, the poor 4tec is not my top priority. I will continue to post some updates just to give you E-4tec diehards something to read!! Here are some pics of my updated parts collection.....

RC Champion
    Don't despair, my project is still a go! Just been busy with other vehicles lately. I have been collecting more parts for my 4tec build. I decided if I was going to rip this all apart, I might as well put it back together with hex screws. I picked up a set on ebay and a few more goodies as well. I know I said before I wasn't going to get a new body for it, but I have always loved the look of the Toyota Trueno bodies. I got one of those as well as a spiffy tuner dress up kit. Intercooler, can muffler, mirrors, disc brake hexes, and scale wipers all included! I also decided to put a Hitec 645MG servo in it to give it rock solid steering.
    I have a few other projects going on, so I'm not sure when this one will get started. I will keep on posting any new updates....

I haven't gotten any of my new goods, so I'm just using the stock photos for now.

Plenty of screws to get the job done. A few extra, too.

Yes, its from an ebay Chinamart, but a good value for seven bucks!!

Enough torque to keep it pointed where I want it to go!

RC Champion
    I got my screw pack and two days off of work coming, so I might just get started on this project, finally. Just waiting on the body and drift kit, but those are final touches. This is going to be cool. This poor old girl needs some attention.

RC Champion
    Got some more stuff in today. My Trueno body came in along with some parts for other vehicles. I also decided to get organized so I'm ready for the re-build. Basically got a parts container and organized all the screws and did some unpacking of parts. I think I'm most excited about painting up the body. Gonna have to be a crazy paint scheme for sure! Here's a few more pics. Not sure if I am going to start this tonight or not. I need to give one of my other trucks some attention so I can run it in the snow tomorrow. Anyone watching? Let me know what ya think. I know the XO-1 is all the rage right now, but at 1/5th the price, this car is still a lot of fun!

This body is pretty cool. No, the HPI stickers will not be included in the final product!

Ready to go!!

RC Champion
    Now I am really ready to get this build underway! I got all my work done on my truck for some snow running tomorrow. After I did that, I cleaned up my work bench a bit, got all the necessary tools at hand, and laid out my parts. I guess the first thing will be to strip all the electronics off the car and start ripping her apart. It will be nice to finally replace all the Phillips screws with hex-heads. Lots of cleaning and lubing will be in order, too. Gonna be fun! Stay tuned....

Let the build begin!!

Lots of cleaning and tlc in store.....

RC Champion
    Well, I got some free time tonight, (yes, I'm still awake), and I got a good bit done on my 4tec rebuild project. I got the rear end of the car all torn apart and mostly back together. I scrubbed all the pieces I'm going to reuse with Armor All and an electric toothbrush. Plastic comes out looking like new! I think the only parts I'm re-using are the diff housing, main shaft, the axles, and the turnbuckles. I had new short shafts, a-arms, bearings, belts, yokes, and most importantly, the Nitro 3.3 diffs with new larger bearings. I followed the diff swap sticky, and it was easy as pie. I put most of the rear end back together, with the exception on the shocks and the body posts. The shocks need cleaned up and rebuilt, and the body mounts are a little bent, so I'll be replacing those as well. I also came up with an idea for the paint scheme and colors I will be using when the time comes. Now for the pics.....

Can't believe all this time I've been running on bushings! They gotta go!

On my way.....

New a-arm next to the crusty old one.

All cleaned up and looking like new again. Still hafta clean up and rebuild the shocks.

RPM shocktower mounted up.

How my workbench looks during a project.

Got my colors selected....

The paint job will be similar to this body. More colors and the zigzag separating the different colors will be black.

22"3

Stay tuned; more to come.....

RC Champion
    bout time i see a 4-tec on this forum. i sure wish traxxas would come out with a new improved 4-tec. love to street race with my fl