Thread: carpet oval

RC Competitor

carpet oval

so I ordered a body for the carpet season hoping it would come in on time. the race was saturday nite(20th). I recived my truck in the mail at 12 on friday, then lost power at 12:30.no power,no airbrush,but I got power back that night and here she is.

the track

the next morning. they call it the bash class,wounder why?

this is my first time using the airbrush on a body,first none micro body

does anyone have a link to a helpful oval tuning how-to?or tips) I did pretty good for my first carpet oval but lots of traction rolling. Its a "spec" class I belive, only stock or rpm parts,do whatever you want to them.

can you use non-stock tires?

maybe adjust the ride height and 47.5 wt oil in front and 40wt in the rear?

im no xpert on racing, infact i just drive around the track for fun. maybe softer springs.
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    only stock tires, they told me the kumos are best for this track with the most traction and im using the tires with the least amount of traction on front. I dont know why they say that because traction is no issue for me. you can use tire compound but that made TR even worst.

its a very fun track. we do oval, figure 8 with cross-over jump(for truck), small circuit, and we are trying to set up a indoor "carpet" short course track. the only problem is how clean my truck is after a race

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I see you are using tape on the rt ft tire. Try the rear also.

Lower the ride height as much as possible(raise or trim the body if you need to, to get that chassis lower.

Add negative camber to both rt side tires, run between 1.5 and 2.5
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Get the left side down to minimum ride height. Our track is 1/2". Right a little higher.

Try this... Positive camber on the right front. 3 to 4 degrees. What? It looks funny? Not when you're turning left and there is load on the right side... Perfectly flat. No edge to catch.

RC Champion
    Very nice job on that body!! For those black marks on it, use some denatured alcohol.

Samsung Epic - Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Positive camber on the right ft will lean the tire outward at the top. Def will increase roll overs. Go with neg camber on the outside tires(leans in at the top)....

RC Competitor
    thanks for the tips everyone, Ima try and get some track time in tomorrow to tune the truck.
    As for the left side(inside) being lower,I had it that way the first heat and noticed the left rear tire lifting, what I did for the main was I raised the left side and lowered the right,now that looks backwards, but when the truck was under load the inside tire had enough travel to stay touching. It seemed to work pretty good.
    Im using 80wt shock oil all around,some of the guys are using 100wt.
    They said to put peanut butter in the diff too? im using some diff lock stuff,very sticky, but does not lock it.
    I race for fun, and boy is it fun to win

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Positive camber on the right ft will lean the tire outward at the top. Def will increase roll overs. Go with neg camber on the outside tires(leans in at the top)....
    No it won't... Trust me, all the fast trucks at our track run that way.

We even took video/photos of trucks going through the turns to see how much the wheel was turned throughout different stages of the corner. Then we turned the wheel that amount, put a little weight (pushed down on the right front of the chassis) and set the camber. Did that for all four corners.

I think the RR was straight up. LR was +1 and LF was -2.

Voila. Maximum contact patch. No rollovers. Looks stupid when truck is going straight.

Too firm on the right will induce roll-overs. Not so much the shock oil weight but the amount of sprint pre-load.
    Last edited by .crispy; 10-22-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Sorry, but your wrong. Wont argue about it... Put a triangle down with the tip on the ground. Put the same down with the long side down. Which takes less force to tip over. I think you have pos and neg camber mixed up. Neg camber means both tires are leaned in at the top.

Neg camber looks like this : /\ pos camber looks like: \/

Pos camber is bad in racing PERIOD!
    Last edited by rag6; 10-22-2012 at 06:09 PM.

RC Competitor

to help clear things up I turn left , so right side tires are outside.

RC Qualifier
    Ah... but then you mix in CASTER and the ball game changes. Because of the 30 degree rake of the front end, the right front with POSITIVE CAMBER becomes perfectly flat when turned to the left and a little weight thrown in.

Don't argue about it all you want, but everyone here can go dial in 3 degrees of positive camber on their right front, then turn the wheels to the left and press down a little on the chassis.

Do that with negative camber and all you have touching the carpet is the inside edge of the tire. Dialing in more negative camber to fix a roll problem just creates other problems. Sometimes the solution to traction rolling is more contact patch!

P.S. After adjusting camber as I've suggested, you will have to fix the toe.

\ ---- \ = Good!

P.P.S. Another guy at my track uses more positive camber (than me) on his left rear. He says it will lean over a little under load but mainly he does that to reduce his differential from "diffing out". Hard to argue with him as he wins almost every week...
    Last edited by .crispy; 10-22-2012 at 08:07 PM.

honestly i think rag6 is right. im with him on this because i know that for a fact negative is correct. it also makes your truck more stable off jumps ... and more pluses

RC Competitor
    well ima deff try your tips crispy,wont hurt to try. hope I get some track time in.

Never ever seen a race car with positive camber... If it does work,crispy is my Buddha!

Kwitty just turned me on to this body. Looks like it would be cool for carpet oval:

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    honestly i think rag6 is right. im with him on this because i know that for a fact negative is correct. it also makes your truck more stable off jumps ... and more pluses
    You see any jumps in the track pic in the first post?

How about any right turns?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Kwitty just turned me on to this body. Looks like it would be cool for carpet oval:
    That's a game changer right there. I know our rules state "Short Course Truck Body that covers all four wheels". Seems to meet those requirements.

A lot of us use the Parma Rattler. Not because the body is cool, but because it is fairly light and you can really slam it down with no wheel rub because it has high wheel wells.

But that truck above takes it to a new level.
    Last edited by .crispy; 10-23-2012 at 10:07 AM.

RC Competitor
    ha, now thats a body. so I got a little time to hit the track today,I was the only one out so nice time to tune.

I have a question tho about my motor. It seems to not max out its rpms. most guys are running 21/86 and I can hear there motors "revving out" there motors would hit a certian spot then stay at the same motor noise. my truck would not do this. It sounded like it would rev to half way then I had to let go for the turn. so I went from 21/86 to 18/86, same noise tho. I figured the motor would max out way before the turn but it didnt. its fairly new, I broke in the motor in water, use comm drops, keep it clean. I use a 5000 2s lipo, 20c, I also ran the truck for 20 minutes non stop and it was barley warm. with the last 12t I had after 10 minutes of running 21/86 it would be super hot.

anything I can try about the motor or just gotta get a new one?

One thing you did not mention... Is it performing up to the titans you are running against? If it is running cool, and performing well, gear up not down.

How did the positive camber work out?
    Last edited by rag6; 10-23-2012 at 05:29 PM.

RC Competitor
    on race night I would come out of the corners quicker but about 3/4 down the straight is where they would start pulling away both 21/86. quieter but I thought it was cause i got a lucky,almost perfectly straight spur. one guy said I had a silencer on.
    ima direct solder the motor and see what that does, connectors off the esc are about 3 years old now,lots of water.

in the fornt added pos camber,I had to take my tape off,she slid a little. so I slammed the front end down, put new kumho s1 tire and matching wheels as rear,and +1.5 It worked pretty good. the new tire had some slide and its taller. I slowly made it to 0 camber working best. ill probably need to change it if a new motor is faster.

in the rear about -1 worked. I also used the top hole of the rear hub on the right side.

Quote Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
    You see any jumps in the track pic in the first post?

How about any right turns?
    No. I was just stating that

RC Competitor
    ok, so I had a race Saturday night,lots of fun. During the main every lap got slower till my motor started squealing and stopped working. maybe it was just a dud.

next week my lhs is having its annual open house. running carpet oval and carpet sct track. its near honsdale pa. clean cars and trucks plz, no mud on the carpet

That's cool.
    I run on a carpet track but it has jumps and stuff. I just like driving around.

RC Enthusiast
    I had to print this tread for sure,good hard to find short track left turn info,my ol dad was just telling me how he used to set the suspension on the half mile dirt cars in the 60s 70s. 80s come along and he just got out of racing,few hard crashes.Thanks crispy
    drive it like you own it,full throttle