RC poster

Turn Grave Digger into a Summit, gearing question

Hello, Iím new to RC and this community!

I got a Grave Digger 1/16 to my birthday a few months ago. Didnít know what that is, but I found it pretty cool and had fun so far. Now after a few runs and reading a lot about RC I think I understand the basics. And Ė surprise, surprise Ė I startet a wishlist of upgrades and changes:

Wheely bar
    2WD -> 4WD
    Monster Jam wheels -> Canyon AT wheels
    2x NiMH 1200 -> 2x Lipo 2200
    ESC XL-2.5 -> VXL-3m
    Motor Titan 12T 550 -> Velineon 380 Brushless

So in the end (will there ever be an end ...?) I wanna have something like a Summit VXL with some parts of the Digger I guess.

Now I have a question about gearing:
    Grave Digger comes with a stock gearing of 23/55.
    Summit 1/16 VXL has stock 16/50 and REvo 1/16 VXL 28/50.
    While the Summit has an acceptable range of 11-17/55 (beside 16/50), ERevo has a range of 21-25/45 or 16-28/50 or 11-30/55.
    Why is the acceptable gearing range of the Summit so much smaller than the one of the ERevo?
    As far as I know they are both very similar to each other: Same chassis, same motor, same ESC, same shocks, etc.
    I read about the relation between tire diameter and pinion gear. Is this the (only) reason for this huge difference in acceptable gearing range?

I ordered 16/50 for my conversion of the Digger, but now I am a little bit confused if this is the right choice.

RC Qualifier
    It comes Down to the tire size on the summit and heat. With the bigger tire on the summit the motor/ESC heats up faster with the bigger pinions, traxxas likes to play it safe that's why they give the summit smaller pinion range. I run 23/50 on my summit with the canyons with no heat issues.

You have a great list... the only thing I would change on it is the 3M ESC. It is a weak point that most replace, might as well skip a step. lol

Overdrive has it... the tire size is limiting the gearing possibilities. A different ESC will help that as well... the motor can take a lot of abuse, it is just the ESC that cannot.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by macuser96 View Post
    Hello, Iím new to RC and this community!

I got a Grave Digger 1/16 to my birthday a few months ago. Didnít know what that is, but I found it pretty cool and had fun so far. Now after a few runs and reading a lot about RC I think I understand the basics. And Ė surprise, surprise Ė I startet a wishlist of upgrades and changes:

Wheely bar
    2WD -> 4WD
    Monster Jam wheels -> Canyon AT wheels
    2x NiMH 1200 -> 2x Lipo 2200
    ESC XL-2.5 -> VXL-3m
    Motor Titan 12T 550 -> Velineon 380 Brushless

So in the end (will there ever be an end ...?) I wanna have something like a Summit VXL with some parts of the Digger I guess.

Now I have a question about gearing:
    Grave Digger comes with a stock gearing of 23/55.
    Summit 1/16 VXL has stock 16/50 and REvo 1/16 VXL 28/50.
    While the Summit has an acceptable range of 11-17/55 (beside 16/50), ERevo has a range of 21-25/45 or 16-28/50 or 11-30/55.
    Why is the acceptable gearing range of the Summit so much smaller than the one of the ERevo?
    As far as I know they are both very similar to each other: Same chassis, same motor, same ESC, same shocks, etc.
    I read about the relation between tire diameter and pinion gear. Is this the (only) reason for this huge difference in acceptable gearing range?

I ordered 16/50 for my conversion of the Digger, but now I am a little bit confused if this is the right choice.
    Wow man, nice list. But I would really keep the Titan 550 and XL-2.5 the stock way. They are both really good and are reasonably cheap to replace. But the gearing is different because the MERV is engineered a bit different than the Summit. A wheely bar would probably be pretty easy to install. You could keep on the Monster Jam tires and body for a pretty cool look.
    Please post pics very soon!

Happy upgrading!

RC Champion
    +1 on the brushed system if you wana build a crawler. Do have in mind that if you go to the brushless 380 motor (smaller can). you need the brushless motor mount.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC poster
    Thanks for the answers! It's fascinating for me that the tires can cause such a difference, but as learning always is.
    Good to hear that a combination of 23/50 is also possible. So I can keep my Digger's 23 pinion and see the difference between this and the ordered 16-t.

Jimmie, yes I've read about some issues with the VXL-3m. But I found it at a local store for about 75% off the retail price, so I HAD to take it. I think it's a first-step-upgrade for me. If it only lasts for a few runs I didn't burn too much money. Maybe I'm lucky and it lasts for several months, that wouldn't be too bad.

ajcar, thanks for the advice with the motor mount. Luckily I already thought of that and also the new motor plate and gear cover.

In fact I've already ordered all the parts of my list including accesories, I'm just waiting for them to arrive. (I also own a charger that's capable of Lipos already, just didn't mention that in the list.) Unfortunately some of the parts will be delivered not before the end of November, so I have to be very patient. But I wanted to do the upgrading step by step anyway, so even if I WOULD get all the stuff at once I wouldn't do it all right away. I think the challenge of upgrading is to recognize differences.
    The Wheely bar is already installed. Next will be 4WD. Then after a few runs I will go with the Lipos, then I'm going to attach the new wheels and "finally" going brushless. Well - that's the plan. We'll see if I can hold the horses.

RC Competitor
    Wow! 4WD is pretty easy to install, because the front driveshaft assembly was left in, just without any parts in it. After you do this, you should maybe add locking diffs.

Locked diffs are possible, but not locking diffs.

For 4WD, you would need:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...92#post5049992

RC poster
    I'm pretty excited about the upcoming 4WD conversion as I will take the chance and tear the whole model completely down for the first time. I wanna hold every single (well nearly) screw in my hand for a second.

Jimmie, that's exactly the thread I referred to when I ordered all the parts. I hope they arrive soon. And I hope I'm able to do the installation at all. Guess it's gonna be a whole-day-job for me.

Don't know much about locked diffs. Aren't they for crawling only? I'm not so into crawling. I mean I'm not into anything yet, as I'm fairly new to RC as I said ... but I think I'm more into bashing than crawling.

Just pay attention to where screws go... once you take them out, thread them in a little with the part off that way you know exactly where they go.

Locked diffs help in low traction areas... but they are also super hard on parts and greatly reduce your turning radius.

RC Enthusiast
    I just went 4x4 on my son's mini digger. Very good upgrade. It's also brushless. We have put several packs through it this weekend and couldn't be happier. Enjoy it!

RC Qualifier

Turn Grave Digger into a Summit, gearing question

If you really want to build a crawler you can always swap the two top gears in the trans. This reduces your gear ratio by about 50%. 17/55 with the titan is as low as possible before the motor hits the receiver box and there is no more screw adjustment. The 380 makes room for smaller ratios. I like 17/55 with the titan with the trans gears stock. The reason the gear ratios are so different is to compensate for gearing change due to tire size. Traxxas sells diff lockers but i like non hardening modeling clay in the spider gears(clean out old fluid first then you dont need very much)acts locked most of the time but acts like a slipper and wont snap a shaft if you get a pesky stone caught in the wheel like they do.