RC poster

another one of 'those' EZ start issues...

Hi people,
    I've been trawling these forums and the web a little bit but cant see what i should do next with my Jato engine, other than maybe strip it down?

Whenever I apply 12V car battery power to the EZ start I hear what sounds like gears stripping (purely in the EZ start mechanics)
    All searches so far have indicated the one way bearing (OWB).
    I can move the flywheel, passing TDC takes a little effort but it gets over.
    So I took it out & cleaned the OWB, as well as the crank. I put the OWB back on the crank shaft then tried it 2 full cycles forward, & freewheel backwards. Both results are good. There's definitely compression.

While it was off I cross checked the EZ start gearing looking for teeth or obvious slippage. The gearing is all good and there were no signs of damage or slippage.
    I put the EZ start system back on.
    Apply the 12V car battery and we're back to the gear stripping sound.

With out a torque wrench I can't quantify how much force the crank shaft takes to turn over, so I don't know if it is 'too much force'.
    All i can think of is that the EZ start gearing is slipping, because the OWB does it's job perfect.
    The 2 options I see at this point are:
    Strip down, clean out, & rebuild the engine (not convinced that it's the cause)
    OR,
    Go to a RotoStart with a cordless drill because that should eliminate the problem...

Any ideas at all at this point appreciated.
    It's my first Nitro and the stuff I've learned in the last 2 weeks could 1/2 fill a notebook...

RC poster

RC Champion
    You're probably stripping/stripped the ezstart gears. The ezstart was meant to take a 7.2v battery, not 12v.

Personally I would just go with a pull start. Then you only need to carry a glow plug heater which will fit in your pocket.
    Rustler-3.3,Revo-Hyper .21,Jato-3.3
    lots of mods

RC Qualifier
    Dealing with the same issue in my 3.3. I use a 3300 mah in my wand but it's still the 7.2 and cranks a lot better. I'll let you know how it turns out this evening.
    Modded to the Max
    Drive it like its Hot

RC poster
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    I found the problem, 1 tiny little metal sleeve that sits in the 3x gears surrounding the pinion.
    That 1 missing sleeve was allowing the pinion to squeeze 1 of those 3 gears enough that it would just slip the entire system.
    Replaced it, the engine turns like clockwork now. This whole things been a steep but valuable learning curve.
    Thanks again people.

RC Enthusiast
    i still say switch to pull start. that ez start is nice, but the reason i got a nitro truck in the first place was to run it without charging the batteries! ez start wand batteries die way too fast and when i want to drive and the battery is dead i get pretty upset.

RC Competitor
    I run my ez start with a large 7800mah 7.4v lipo that I have for my slash vxl. I can crank all day long without worrying about it discharging too much....

RC Racer
    A pullstart is the answer to remove your anxiety and irritation from the whoas of ezstart

If you flood the engine while trying to start it and using a 12 volt battery for a 7.2 volt system I can see EZ start gear carnage happening easily.... Flooding these engines can cause them to hydrolock and the only cure for that is loosening the glow plug turning the RC upside down and relieveing the fuel from the cylinder....

Also if you ever get 1 gear stripped, with any plastic gear, check all of the gears involved as they may have some damage as well, even a single broken tooth on a different gear will come back to haunt you.... Same with debris, clean clean clean when replacing gears.....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??