Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion

How much did your first car cost?

what car and how much does it cost + estimated monthly cost for insurance and general maintenance

how much do you think is reasonable to spend today on a first car? (i know a car is still many years away from me)

Thanks for sharing

RC Champion
    Well the first car I bought myself (without my parents) was a 89 Firebird Pro-AM. this was in 98-99? I paid $2500 for it. Insurance I think was $400ish every 6 months (not on my parents) and general maintenance ($200-500 for oil and parts here and there.)

... Way way cheaper than just insurance alone on a newer STI.
    Pay It Forward.

Bought a Jeep Cherokee from my parents for $4000 - does that count? As for maintenance, it's a Cherokee, so less than a good meal every month.

I believe I started out paying ~$60-65/month for full coverage. It dipped down a bit when I turned 21 or 22, don't remember which, and I think I'm still well below $60 with a cheap/slow motorcycle (Kawi KLR650) involved.

The key, especially as a male under 25, is to not get tickets or cause accidents. I don't even want to know what I'd be paying if I had a single speeding ticket.
    Last edited by BobR; 04-27-2010 at 01:22 AM.
    Six in a row makes it go.

RC Champion
    Stay away from flashy 2 door cars and get something sensible.

RC Qualifier
    sensible is boring maybe a sensible car with an engine thats not like an impreza rs with a jdm sti engine ..or an older 5 series beamer with the inline six...those things will rev like a dirt bike after some work
    E REVO 3.3 t maxx wheels/tires 80a 2330kiv ezrun

RC Champion
    Yeah cause insurance on a 5 series for a teen is affordable. And if you get an impreza they better not find out that its been "enhanced" for teen foolishness.

RC Champion
    First car was an 83 hurst olds. Black and silver with the T-tops. Bought it used for $5000 and spent another $5000 making it right. Rocket 350 swap, heads, intake etc. Insurance was reasonable at around $100 a month as it was "just a cutlass" as my insurance guy said. Glad he never actually looked up the hood as it was not stock

Maintenance was a couple hundred a year as it was really a pretty good car over all. After that I looked at a 96 T/A. Called the insurance guy and found out the insurance payment would be more than the car payment so I passed on it. Over the years i've owned Mustangs, a Camaro, Supra, Celica, RX7 etc and I can't believe the money I spent on cars. If I had it to do all over again I would have bought something reasonable and put all that $$$$$$ in the bank.

For a first car get yourself something sensible. There are a lot of nice 4 doors out there today that are plenty sporty and won't kill you're wallet. Something like a Legacy or Impreza 4 door. Or if you're an outdoors kind of guy maybe one of the smaller SUV's or pickups like an FJ, Cherokee, Tacoma. Cars today require minimal maintenance. Keep up on the fluids and filters and you're pretty much good to go. Figure a couple hundred a year for things like wipers, brakes, bulbs.

You'll have tons of time to buy that sports cars so don't rush it. I'm 35 and I just called my insurance company yesterday for a quote on a 2010 Camaro SS. $48 a month is all they want.

Today I drive a 02 Tacoma 4x4 with the O/R package and have an 80 cutlass play thing in the garage. My other half drives an 09 Forester. Both paid for so we're looking for a plaything.
    Last edited by john01374; 04-27-2010 at 08:31 AM.
    My mother
    Reba Collins 6/30/52 - 3/1/10 1:13pm

RC Champion
    When I was 18 I got my first car. It was a 1979 Toyota Corona 4 door liftback. It was an inline 4 cyl., rear wheel drive. The original paint was flaking in 2 sections up the hood and across the roof. They looked like rally stripes, lol. It ran great and the interior was mint! I always tell people about this car because no one has heard of them. They ask me if I mean Camry? I tell them these were before the Camry. It was $800 and insurance was about $300-$400 every 6 months.
    Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

My first car in 1980 it was a 1974 Plymouth Duster slant 6. For the first yr anyways.

My suggestion, most drivers owning their first car get into their first accident within a year and believe it or not within 1-2 miles from their home.

It's not just driving skills but defensive driving skills that get developed when driving in traffic IMHO.

Since insurance is based on your driving record, your sex, your age, and the car you drive, I would suggest avoiding a sports car, a car with a V-8 in it as well. Find something reliable that you won't blow a gasket over if you get into an accident and that does not cost you a mint trying to keep it insured.
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 10-12-2012 at 09:55 AM.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

1st car was a 1971 Cuda
    440 six pack.
    I got it for 1200.00 from the dealership I worked at.
    Can't remember how much the insurance was at that time but it was way less than the cost of fuel I ran through it per month.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Qualifier
    My firts car was a 1976 Murcury Cougait had a 400 in it I paid $500.00 cash the bad thig it Guzzled gas like you would water on a hot summer day as far as insurance that was 250 a month for liability because I was young and it was a rocket. I got rid of it when I blew a tire going 95 on the highway.
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man
    1st car was a 1971 Cuda
    440 six pack.
    I got it for 1200.00 from the dealership I worked at.
    Can't remember how much the insurance was at that time but it was way less than the cost of fuel I ran through it per month.
    Come on Snook, we know they didn't even have combustion engines around when you were old enough to purchase a car... j/k
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC Racer
    Mine was a 79 mustang that my pearents got for my brother 3 years before paid 200 for it and he beat on it. I got it never paid anything for maintence but did little stuff that I could to make it better like resealing the windsheild.

A year later I got a 94 SC2 and drove it for four years and never did any thing more then LOF's on it, for maintence.

3 years ago I got a 98 f-150 (i paid for this one) and have done an alt and lofs, but it does need spark plugs now.
    I have never had to pay over a 120 a month for inserance, it toke some fighting on th SC2 though. My truck was the most expinsive since when I got it I was no longer under my pearents and had a ticket but since getting married and not having a ticket it is now the cheapest I have had.
    Stampede VXL upgraded broken stuff.

RC Champion
    My first car is a 88 Chevy Blazer

And I got it free (actually I don't got it until I'm 16 and I'm 14 now)

My dad bought it a few years ago and its been sitting, outside for a spring/summer on a trailer and has been sitting in my dads garage for 2 years with occasional driving. Its got the original 350 in it, auto trans, 4WD. When he bought it had aftermarket heads, cam, headers, holley tbi injection, custom exhaust, 3 inch lift, a tach that goes to 10k mounted on the windsheild pillar, BFG A/Ts on American Racing wheels and other stuff. The computer is the stock one so the thing runs like crap and is really loud. It has a little rust under the rear seats, original paint that is in great considering before we got it it sat outside. So he says he's going to put on a carb setup but nothing has happened. He has put on a custom "true" dual exhaust (the old one was rusting apart) a new radio and speakers (there weren't any when he bought it), and he tried to get it to run better and he did a little bit. So it sits, and sits, and sits...

I'm looking for a winter truck thats a beater with a plow on it so the blazer doesn't have to get salty and gets eaten alive

It just has to be GMC or Chevy.

So that will be my official first car that i buy
    Nothin' like a 4 on the floor and a V8

RC Qualifier
    My first car was a '49 Plymouth business coupe. My parents gave it to me on my 17th birthday. They paid a neighbor $10.00 for it. This was in 1968. I drove it for a year and a half and sold it back to the same guy for $20.00 dollars.
    Some days it doesn't seem worth chewing through the restraints.

RC Qualifier
    not to hijack your thread but would the insurance company base your rates off your parents driving record at all sense when I turn 16 i wont have a record?
    GOT ROOST?

RC Champion
    I paid 300.00 buck for my first car. It was a 1979 Cadillac Coupe Deville. Never insured it and never drove it. Then sold it and did without a car, then in 2001 got a Ford Ranger Edge That was 22,000.00. Paid that off in 2007 and just grab a 2008 F-150 at around 32,000.00

As for insurance for the Fords. It is insane. The f-150 runs me 180.00 every 3 months.

Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Brandonj
    not to hijack your thread but would the insurance company base your rates off your parents driving record at all sense when I turn 16 i wont have a record?
    Nope,
    They will base it on the fact of your sex, your age, and your driving experience. Get a traffic ticket and watch it skyrocket!

Even if you went with a different insurance company, if you live at the same place as your parents and get a couple tickets even their insurance rates can go up.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC Champion
    My first car was an '81 Ford Fairmont. My parents bought it from a neighbor for my 17th birthday in 1995 for $100. It didn't run but my dad and I had it running great that night. I loved that car. I never really put much money into it, and ended up selling it for $550 when I got my second vehicle.

My second vehicle, which I bought myself from a friend and coworker of my dads, was a 74 Datsun pickup. I paid $50 for it. That one ran when I got it, it just needed some minor work. After having it for about a year I sold it for $450.
    Last edited by RobWilJas; 04-27-2010 at 04:14 PM.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWilJas
    My first car was an '81 Ford Fairmont. My parents bought it from a neighbor for my 17th birthday in 1995 for $100. It didn't run but my dad and I had it running great that night. I loved that car. I never really put much money into it, and ended up selling it for $550 when I got my second vehicle.

My second vehicle, which I bought myself from a friend and coworker of my dads, was a 74 Datsun pickup. I paid $50 for it. That one ran when I got it, it just needed some minor work. After having it for about a year I sold it for $450.
    your making nice profits from cars
    merv and erbe

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by revo madnesss
    your making nice profits from cars
    I have owned twenty cars in my life, including the two I have right now. With the exception of one car that my wife was in an accident in, I have never sold a car for less than I paid for it.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by slowenuff
    Yeah cause insurance on a 5 series for a teen is affordable. And if you get an impreza they better not find out that its been "enhanced" for teen foolishness.
    Exactly. If you get in an accident and they find that you have a v8 in a car that is insured as a v6, or you have a turbo but no insurance for it, you are SOL on that one. They won't have to do anything, since that's not the car they are insuring.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Competitor
    I paid 550.00 for my first car 92 EG Hatch.
    Warn: (99%)SI 480HP mugen無限power
    teamultraspeed

RC Qualifier
    My first car was and still is a 99 Honda Civic EX. My dad bought it because at 16 you can't legally own a vehicle, (having the title in your name) but when we drove home from the dealership, I wrote my dad a check for $10,000. The title was then transfered to me on my 18th birthday. I am only the second owner, not counting my dad. The little old lady who had owned it before me, had an two undercoats and two "paint protectors" waxs done on the car before I owned it.

The car had 52,237 miles on when I bought it, there are now 80,057 as of today. Mechanically and physically the car is in amazing shape. Just your normal small rock chips up front. Once a month I fully detail the car myself inside and out. I always wash once a week and wax once a month. Regular maintenance has always been followed and completed by myself. Only major repair was replacing the exhaust from the cat back, which set me back $300 and 2 hours of my time. I replaced it with OEM parts because the original exhaust began to develop a small hole from rust. And rust if common on exhaust systems because of the water that is developed.

I pay $80 a month for insurance. No accidents, no tickets. And good grades in school keep insurance rates low as well.
    Its a bird, its a plane...nope just my rusty

RC Qualifier
    my first car was a traxxas rustler XL-5 LOL
    Your nitro is fat...It ate my Brushless Dust!!!!

RC Champion
    i have an 05 Ford F150 only payed $13,000 canadian i have seen simailer for around $18,000 the guy thought something was wronge with the 4wd cause the battery would die if you left it in 4wd it was only the wire going from the alternater wasn`t conected LOL the truck only had 69,000km on it
    insurance is kind of high costs $1,100
    heres a pic of my baby i have put about $2,000 worth of after market parts on it LOL

the after market part i like the most the LED Tail Lights
    Last edited by scotthw; 04-27-2010 at 10:53 PM.
    if your not breaking anything get more air

RC Qualifier
    My first car was a 1986 Chevy chevette. The guy wanted $300 for the car with the aftermarket chrome rims, or just $100 without the rims.

I got it with the rims The sound system i put in it was worth 15 times what the car was worth.

Sold it to the auto recyclers when a tree stump went thru the floor when we were jumping it off road.

Insurance was $100 a month.
    Mr nitro? Not since going brushless!

RC Champion
    im wanting to get a 86-93 mustang 5.0 buut, reading all this is making me change my mind. I dont think il be able to afford the darn thing! might have to go for a 4banger instead of the V8, that would bring costs down noticably im sure.

Now for the insurance for guys vs women. I still think thats crap. guys are fully capable of driving just as slow or fast as any woman and as safe. I think it should be even :P just my .02 though
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Qualifier
    1949 ply $50. what can i say, i was poor. in 1965

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SLASHPEDE
    im wanting to get a 86-93 mustang 5.0 buut, reading all this is making me change my mind. I dont think il be able to afford the darn thing! might have to go for a 4banger instead of the V8, that would bring costs down noticably im sure.

Now for the insurance for guys vs women. I still think thats crap. guys are fully capable of driving just as slow or fast as any woman and as safe. I think it should be even :P just my .02 though
    Ya, your insurance rates will be much cheaper with a 4 cylinder. Insurance rates also look at: if its a 4 door or coupe, the make of it, eninge displacement, if your a guy or girl, good grades (they make you seem more responsible), 4wd/Awd/Fwd. Its really best to go talk with your insurance agent with your parents and start throwing vehicle ideas at him because he should be able to give you a rough estimate on what insurance will cost per vehicle.
    Its a bird, its a plane...nope just my rusty

RC Champion
    4 doors, 4 cylinders, 4WD (or all wheel drive), airbags, alarm, ABS, good grades, and sedan all make for cheap insurance.

A younger friend of mine owns a few year old Impreza 4 door non turbo and he pays around $125 a month but he does live in the city of Chicago.

That's another thing. Where you live makes a huge difference in the price of insurance. A few years back I was thinking of moving into a house that was just inside the Chicago city limits. Seriously it was less than a block from my old house. I was all set and ready to move until I checked on renters and car insurance. The renters was not too much worse but my insurance would have more than doubled.
    Last edited by john01374; 04-28-2010 at 11:30 AM.
    My mother
    Reba Collins 6/30/52 - 3/1/10 1:13pm

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by zeek
    Ya, your insurance rates will be much cheaper with a 4 cylinder. Insurance rates also look at: if its a 4 door or coupe, the make of it, eninge displacement, if your a guy or girl, good grades (they make you seem more responsible), 4wd/Awd/Fwd. Its really best to go talk with your insurance agent with your parents and start throwing vehicle ideas at him because he should be able to give you a rough estimate on what insurance will cost per vehicle.
    yeah it shouldnt be to bad, 4cylinder, good grades rwd i belive, cheap on gas, i think i would be fine. Down the road though i would deffinatly consider doing a swap to the 5.0 once insurance. im wondering how gusty i could get a 4cyl to sound. I love how the 5.0's sound with the offroad Hpipe and flomaster 40's i belive the combo is. sounds just amazing

If you do decide down the road to do the motor swap I would STRONGLY consider just buying a v8. Doing the swap requires a new motor obviously, new trans, new clutch kit (if going manual) or converter (auto), at MINIMUM new front springs, new exhaust, computer, air intake, most of the motor accessories, the list goes on and on. It would make much more sense to keep your 4 banger clean, sell that and then put that towards the other car, you will spend half as much.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slowenuff

That is so so true. The BMW have cheap insurance for as sporty and expensive they are. Evenytime I contact my insurance and whisper the word Impreza they want to know if it is modded.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Champion
    yeah one of my buddies got a beamer for his firstcar

streetdemon, i guess i could do that. Its just a thought for now, as im gona be just turning 16 in like 20days. I might just take my dads 98' 150 sport. Hes due for a new truck, its got like 400,000clicks on the thing without almost any problems :P unfortunatly its worth next to nothing due to the high mileage..thats why im here though right?

RC Competitor
    My first car was a 71 VW super beetle. Paid $2000. Insurance was $80 a month. Drove it for a year, put in a new engine, drove it for 3 more years. Moved to alaska so I got a 87 Bronco 2. Biggest piece of crap ever. Never buy one of those. When I was in Alaska, parents got rid of the VW. I miss that car. Wish I still had it.

RC Enthusiast

1983 Mustang with the newer front end from the 87-93 models on it, I think I paid for almost all of it, like 1700, lol, I think I bought it a few weeks after I turned 15. Started working early so I could by it. Neighbor had it down the street, I would dream of that car, lol. Then I blew it up, didn't know what to do so I sold it, regret it now. Oh well, part of growing up. Bought it in 2005, and insurance was 195 dollars a month, with a pristine record.

RC Champion
    Looked like this one and cost me $225.

Sparky

Sharpchuter 245
    Dyna Wide Glide

RC Champion
    first was a 87 Mazda RX7, great fun little car, cost 2k. engine went 3 months later but still managed to sell it off for parts car for 1500

insurance was about 100 dollars a month under my folks.
    Last edited by Tiernan85; 05-02-2010 at 07:32 AM.
    infowars.com

RC Qualifier
    My first truck was bought for me when I was 15. It was $2500 for a 1993 Chevy stepside. Insurance was pretty much covered by my mother until I was 18-19 I guess? I do know for me it would have been about $120 a month, liability only. I paid my own gas.

I'm 21 now and bought a 2005 Silverado Crew myself a few months ago for $14K. I'm paying about $240/mo for 5 years and the insurance is $150 a month for full coverage. Though with the size of the truck Im chewing thru $50 of gas a week if I drive around lot. Less than half of that if I just drive to work and back