RC Competitor

exhaust pipe woes

I am posting this thread here b/c it is the best spot...

I recently got a rustler used in the mail (non standard exhaust pipe). I took it to the LHS and told them to make it run. They replaced some fuel line and got it to crank, put it kept shutting off. We kept looking it
    over until we realized there were 2 exhaust pipe holes, sort of. There is one regular extension to let the
    exhaust out, but then there is a whole next to it. They say this keeps the back-pressure down, preventing
    it to keep running. It turns out the hole is threaded. Does anyone know of some kind of stopper to fill this hole with?

How about a screw with the correct threads? A little locktite and walla!
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

Typically the second hole is for an exhaust nipple. Attach a hose from that to your fuel tank pressure outlet.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Competitor
    The back pressure nipple is on top of exhaust. I am going to continue to look for a screw, but I just went and purchased some 2000 degree heat tape to put over it. I ran the car with this just now, and it looks like the tape will stay until I find a screw
    (which I probably never will...).

Quote Originally Posted by Icero1 View Post
    The back pressure nipple is on top of exhaust. I am going to continue to look for a screw, but I just went and purchased some 2000 degree heat tape to put over it. I ran the car with this just now, and it looks like the tape will stay until I find a screw
    (which I probably never will...).
    It's your truck,,, loss of exhaust pressure gases can cause your engine to meet an early grave... I've seen leaks that only show up when you are at 3/4 to full throttle, the loss of pressure gases at high rpm can cause a lean condition at high rpms but under lower rpms not show... This will wear out an engine fast as the lower rpms cools off the engine but the high rpms is causing damage usually not easily detected until too late..

just something you should be aware of It would not be the first time I've seen that happen either...
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC poster
    Hello, Im not sure how handy you are but you can always rethread the hole with a thread tap and than use an appropriate bolt?

If we could get a pic to see of this,,, probably could get a better understanding of what you are dealing with...
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    It's your truck,,, loss of exhaust pressure gases can cause your engine to meet an early grave... I've seen leaks that only show up when you are at 3/4 to full throttle, the loss of pressure gases at high rpm can cause a lean condition at high rpms but under lower rpms not show... This will wear out an engine fast as the lower rpms cools off the engine but the high rpms is causing damage usually not easily detected until too late..

just something you should be aware of It would not be the first time I've seen that happen either...
    I have seen this happen with a Ninja, my friend had race exhaust on his bike and did not get it retuned. It ran lean, from the lack of back pressure, which made it seem like it had good power, but only 6500 miles on the engine, and its garbage. Cuts out on him at high rpm, stalls under acceleration...very nasty
    I'm crazy, no really I am.

RC Competitor
    and 6500mi is nothing...I did that in under 3 months. so you can imagine how fast that damage set on.
    I'm crazy, no really I am.