Thread: Off road truck

RC Enthusiast

Off road truck

I am looking to buy either a 1/10 or 1/8 off road truck. Would appreciate any suggestions that meet the following criteria.

Durable
    Fast
    Minimal plastic parts
    4 wheel drive
    Not sure of advantages between 1/10 and 1/8 scale models

Thanks

I think you should get the emaxx brushles its awesome.
    "Brakes? Who needs them? They only slow you down"

Define "fast" & "off road" please.

The reason I ask... off road to some is simply in the grass. To others, it means out in the woods.
    Fast on the road and fast whipping between trees are two different speeds.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Champion
    minimal plastic parts. lol
    all rcs are plastic. but what ever you do buy. you can get aluminum upgrades at a fair price.
    i have 7 rcs, and i still dont know which is the best. my 3 best are the 1/10 summit, e-maxx, and stampede 4x4.
    the stampede takes the best beating.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

I would say emaxx brushless, e revo brushless, pede 4x4. Those have nice upgrades and alin though i wouldn't dirft away from plastic all together on any of those and you need something to flex ok..
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Enthusiast
    Well since this is a traxxas forum I would suggest the e revo.

Define "fast" & "off road" please.

The reason I ask... off road to some is simply in the grass. To others, it means out in the woods.
    Fast on the road and fast whipping between trees are two different speeds.
    Fast is most definitely subjective, many people thought my rustler was fast with a 15t brushed motor. Generally people tend to overestimate the speed of RC cars, 35mph is fairly fast in real time for a 1/10th truck and offroad it would be that much faster because of all the changes in the terrain you will have to react to. I would suggest finding a roller and building it to suit your taste. Plastic doesn't sound appealing at first but over time you get to appreciate its durability.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

I would say get a Summit, but after I saw that you said "fast" I was like, "Oh, never mind" LOL! I you don't mind a slow truck, the Summit is the best way to go IMO. Hope this helps!
    2SummitE/TmaxxVillainSlash2&4SlayerPndeAtonXMaxx

RC Qualifier
    Tmaxx
    Emaxx
    Revo

RC Champion
    If off-road means dirt and very short grass, Slash 4x4 is the way to go.
    If off-road means dirt and all the way up to decently tall grass, Pede 4x4 is the way to go.
    If off-road means anywhere between dirt and tall grass with the occasional piece of fire wood or large rock, E-Maxx is your answer.
    If you want more than that, the Summit is the only way to go. As you go down the list, they get slower and handle worse but can run in more adverse terrain.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

If off-road means dirt and very short grass, Slash 4x4 is the way to go.
    If off-road means dirt and all the way up to decently tall grass, Pede 4x4 is the way to go.
    If off-road means anywhere between dirt and tall grass with the occasional piece of fire wood or large rock, E-Maxx is your answer.
    If you want more than that, the Summit is the only way to go. As you go down the list, they get slower and handle worse but can run in more adverse terrain.
    And I suppose the erevo is just chopped liver! LOL! The erevo can tackle all those things as well and it will outlast an emaxx in a bashing session. Stock for stock the erevo is arguably the toughest truck traxxas makes.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    And I suppose the erevo is just chopped liver! LOL! The erevo can tackle all those things as well and it will outlast an emaxx in a bashing session. Stock for stock the erevo is arguably the toughest truck traxxas makes.
    Very true. But in a game of top trumps the Maxx always wins due to the aftermarket card.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Competitor
    I would agree that the E-Revo is the way to go. The suspension on it allows it to be set up for really rough terrain. The Revo has better suspension travel and ground clearance than the E-Maxx.

E-revo.... Hands down !

Beatings will continue until compliance is gained
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    Oops... I forgot about the E-Revo. I'd put that in the same category of the pede 4x4 though. I've found the Maxx to handle a lot rougher terrain than the Revo.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

I had an emaxx once...it was like owning an old car your going to fix one day.

RC Competitor
    If you want to go Nitro, the Slayer or if you want a little more to it, the Revo are good choices for off road.
    I'm crazy, no really I am.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    My neighbour has a brushless Emaxx, I have an ERBE. I can say without any hesitation the ERBE can go places the Emaxx cant and can take a harder beating than the Emaxx and walk away. The Emaxx has all hte important aluminum upgrades and still cant take the beating my mostly stock ERBE can take. This is not to say its not an awesome and durable truck... I believe it is.

But I digress... the original criteria was:
    Durable
    Fast
    Minimal plastic parts
    4 wheel drive

Durability is a factor of how and where its driven. The MOST durable truck on the planet (whatever it is) will eventually break if you bash it hard enough. You have to learn the limits of your truck, know what it can and cant take and not push it farther than you should UNLESS you dont mind breaking parts. There is no "bullet proof" truck on the market. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

SPeed is, as has already been stated, subjective. Whats fast in a HUGE open parking lot will be undriveable in the woods. Whats REALLY fast in the woods may not be competitive on a track. Whats fast on a track may actually feel slow in a big parking lot. Where you run is the most important factor in determining how fast your vehicle could and should go.

Plastic parts are a reality. Get used to it. They are not a "down grade" from aluminum. Aluminum is heavy and can bend. Plastic is light and can flex. Plastic is also cheaper to replace than aluminum should the worst happen (and it will). Dont spend even a second comparing vehicles based on what the parts are made of. A more important consideration is finding out what the typical list of "must have" upgrades that will address any weak points that vehicle may have.

4 Wheel drive... self explanatory. Just look for a 4X4... there are LOTS to choose from.

Finally, the last consideration that was left out of the OPs initial list is PRICE. How much are you looking to spend. Can you afford a $700 ERBE or are you shopping in the $400 Stampede 4X4 level? We need to know what your budget is before we make any really useful suggestions.