RC Champion

when eating your lids from the rear, upper tail gate area gets old

The Problem...

The Solution...

We'll see if this helps, I might scrap the whole idea, but if it can protect my lids, I'll consider it an upgrade. Plus it looks pretty cool too. My buddy joked and said I should probably mount some wheels on teh top of it, lol.

Pretty easy install.
    1 HPI Hellfire Wing Mount
    1 JConcepts Illuzions Wing
    A few screws, washers, nuts and a dremel.

I'll probably 'Decepticon' this thing out eventually...

Clearance issue?

Hoping to have this buttoned up soon

If you have any questions about the install, let me know. Later

RC Racer
    Looks good!

You had to custom drill the mounting holes right?
    13 Rigs and counting!
    -NeverFinished-

RC Qualifier
    Very cool, super factory lookin'! Don't you wish that RPM made wings?

RC Champion
    Hey, thanks for the compliments guys. I know, I know...a wing on a stampede? Ill post a couple of pics of my old lids.

Neverfinished, yes 4 holes were required in the rear shock tower. I also had to drill 2 holes in the wing. The wing had a grid in both of the two places on the underside where the holes needed to be so that you can line them up. Knowing what I know now, I would have done everthing different, or at least in the opposite order.

I started by lining up the mounts as best I could on the shock tower and mounted them. I then mounted the upper wing mounts, fitted the wing and drilled for it. The wing mounts end up being spaced pretty far apart, which is why I bought a wing that needed to be drilled. The holes on the pre drilled wings aren't too far apart. Instead, I should have reversed the order by drilling the wing first and install the upper mounts to teh wing. Id then attach the lower wing mounts and mock the entire setup to teh shock tower, and then drill the 4. With parts like these Axial spacers (that come in 2mm-6mm increments) you could shim the upper wing mounts to the lower wing mounts and have it be a little more exact than what I ended up with, eyeballing the whole thing together.

Blaster, I was really happy to see how well teh RPM and HPI plastics blended together. It was a complete surprise. Moreso than wings, I wish RPM would make a wing mount. A couple of 10th scale wings that werent made out of the same material as the bodies would be great too. The 1/8 wings are huge, and fairly heavy. Losi had one at the lhs that was really nice, still 1/8 but not nearly as gawdy looking as the proline and jconcepts offereings. Even the traxxas e revo wings arent as bulky. My lhs didnt have the traxxas ones as I really wanted this exo carbon spoiler for the e revo. Both the losi and traxxas parts come pre drilled which is nice, but I passed on them before figuring the axial spacers would/could help make it all come together with a predrilled wing. I have a feeling the mentioned factory wings are a little bit lighter too.

Here's a pic of the Proline

and other examples of lid issues...

RC Competitor
    Holy Crap... do you use them as chew toys for a large dog? LOL

I thought mine was bad. the rear mounting holes are pretty much gone, now I use a big twist tie to hold mine on.

Gosh, those bodys look bad LOL. I've had 1 body for almost a year know and there isn't even one hole in it. I got another body in May and that one looks like new! Guess that's because I drive like a old person... I just hate fliping my truck and scratching up the body!
    2SummitE/TmaxxVillainSlash2&4SlayerPndeTeton

RC Champion
    I'm putting a wing on my basher emaxx for that reason
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Looks good oaks. I can't wait to see it all mounted up and with the lid on.

BTW sorry I didnt get back to you sooner. I did msg ya back, prolly was to late.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Premier and Wolfslash, you guys are funny, lol. This one's for you guys

SLW, I remember seeing 'traxxasfanman' of youtube fame had one fitted on his lcog emaxx. It looked really sweet, too.

DiggerPede, I got the message and thank you. I had a nice response to send back your way, but my token eventually expired. I appreciate the help. Hey, I can't wait to see how it looks going down the street both right side up & upside down, lol.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Used that same hpi part on this:

Wish it was as easy to mount to the proline rear tower...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Champion
    Yeah, rag6, I hear ya. I had to ditch my rear protrac tower because it had snapped in two places. It was running okay like that, but was flexing a whole bunch landing jumps. I like the rpm tower for this project. You can't flub the spacing of the wing mouts with the rpm tower. If you try to muscle the wing onto the wing mountsike that, the rpm tower will flex from side to side and throw off the upper shock mounting points. On the flipside, the rpm tower doesn't flex nearly as easily from front to back, in a top to bottom perspective - so using the wing idea as an extension of the wheelie bar should prove pretty durable. Time will tell. I'm just hoping that I'm not back to having some super wheelie machine again. If so, I'm definitely going to try one more time with a predrilled factory spec wing

Thats nice Oaks.. Looks real great, and nice touch with the purple lock nuts.. Just like mine, I mean.... My ladies pede... Ya thats it. lol.

Also, I too had my rear tower give out this weekend. Went to the ULTIMATE bash spot at this cabin, with long dirt roads, and all kinds of awesomeness..... The ultimate pede bashing spot, that I am now dyeing to return too... But ya, The two screws that mount to the tranny busted. But then again that sould have happened with anyone one of with the kind of hit it took .lol.

Lookin great!

One thing I did notice, THe truck will be lower in the back with a stock width tower, vs the Protrac. Example....

This is the same shocks lengths, and everything.... Only difference is one has the Protrac towers, while one has the STRC alum tower (my ladies)

Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Champion
    Thanks Loot. I really appreciate it your discovery on those axial spacers was awesome. Although I haven't used them yet, I can see where they can come in handy for all kinds of uses.

And when i made the decipticon reference, I'm totally sold on that rustler truggy body. So here I am ironing out the wrinkles for the wing mount. One more try, and I should have it just right. im really curious to see how it all affects the handling so I can tweak that too.

As far as the rpm tower, I must say, I really prefer it over the protrac tower. I'm not saying that the front protrac tower is no good, but having the mix match setup with the front shocks being more upright and the rear shocks beig more slanted has really made a noticeable difference in the way the truck turns. It just feels like the truck makes motions to 'complete' the turns more - after the initial shock of turning the servo and having the 'body roll' give it a try

RC Champion
    Finished up the install, finally.

here's the cutaway

battery forward & got stickered up. notice the rear body mount tied into the wing mount

side shots

and the rear

Well, at least the body is trimmed and working with the wing. Not the greatest job, but not a bad first crack at it on an already worn lid. From a truggy perspective, the winged look really begs for that cab forward design, (and 4wd) but i'll rock it like this for a while. I really dont see myself needing a lid for a good while, and thats definitely cool with me.

So far, the wing has been doing its job, too. Id have to try pretty hard to lid skid anymore - the wing is catching big wheelies and bringing the front wheels back down. I noticed the wing adds enough downforce to make it want to wheelie during speed blasts too. Its added a new element of fun to the ride and seems to be stable over the rough stuff and small jumps. You definitely have to compensate for the wing with your steering by adding a little more brakes, but nothing too major. Ill probably start trying to hit some bigger jumps soon enough and check out the flight score. Street bashing is fun still and roll overs on the street are just about always turning all the way back over on the wheels. Initial impressions were a little iffy because of how it wanted to wheelie way to easily at slow speeds. I reinstalled stiffer springs all the way around and moved my battery forward a tad and things improved quite a bit. Overall Im really happy with it, and have quickly gotten pretty comfortable with just letting it eat, and smacking or dragging the wing along the way. I'll try to get a street bash vid together soon. Thanks for checking the wing mount, later.