RC Racer

Lipo Battery Question

What is the C rating for? What would be the difference between these two batteries:
    1) 2s 5000mah 40C
    2) 2s 5900mah 60C

I know battery 2 will last longer, but what else?

Thanks in advance

The C rating gives discharge amperage availability information.

mAh / 1000 x discharge C = available amps.

200 & 354 amps, respectively.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

in your question your not getting around to asking if you can run both of those lipos together right? if so then its not safe the lower MAH lipo will drain faster than the higher MAH lipo and besides that the specs have to be the same, cycles, voltage on them when charged and ready to be used (ran), MAH values, C rating, 2s.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

I believe you should run 2 of the same batteries together for 4s, 5s & 6s configs

c rating
    cell count (only applies to parallel applications, series is fine to use differents cell counts)
    MAh rating
    Brand
    charge state (voltage of each cell, not the pack)
    and #of cycles through the packs
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    I will not be using these batteries together. But what is the difference while driving? Will the 60C deliver a greater "punch" because it has more amp available? Also how do I know how many amps my ESC draws?

Yes that is correct...the more the better; your ESC will take only what it needs.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    I've read and understand it as…

The battery supplies or "Pushes" power (voltage)

The ESC will draw or "Pull" Amperage from the battery. In situation where you have a heavy load on the ESC, like fast acceleration or hard braking, the amperage demand/need of the ESC is high. With a low "C" rating like 25C your LiPo will get worked hard and in return will get hot as well as stress the ESC because it isn't getting the amperage it needs.

I currently run 2s 5000 MAH LiPo's that are rated at 40C-80C. The theory is that at a normal demand the battery will give up 200 amps. But under a high load (fast acceleration or hard braking) the can handle giving up 400 amps.

I think once my batteries creeped up to 110°

RC Champion
    the higher C rating means less voltage sag under load. Might not mean much for bashing, but for racing it means alot.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

Quote Originally Posted by M n M View Post
    I've read and understand it as…

The battery supplies or "Pushes" power (voltage)

The ESC will draw or "Pull" Amperage from the battery. In situation where you have a heavy load on the ESC, like fast acceleration or hard braking, the amperage demand/need of the ESC is high. With a low "C" rating like 25C your LiPo will get worked hard and in return will get hot as well as stress the ESC because it isn't getting the amperage it needs.

I currently run 2s 5000 MAH LiPo's that are rated at 40C-80C. The theory is that at a normal demand the battery will give up 200 amps. But under a high load (fast acceleration or hard braking) the can handle giving up 400 amps.

I think once my batteries creeped up to 110°
    I have to agree with your post i have seen my esc work better when supplied with the right lipos over under rated supplied lipos. My lipos put out 160amps normal and max of 200amps which my esc draws 120a normal but max of 960a it says.
    110* is actually really good max i would ever let my lipos get would be 120*, max mine have gotton is 101* i think
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nikzak View Post
    I will not be using these batteries together. But what is the difference while driving? Will the 60C deliver a greater "punch" because it has more amp available?
    That's usually how it works but in the real world some batteries with lower "C" ratings out perform higher "C" ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by nikzak View Post
    Also how do I know how many amps my ESC draws?
    You'd have to hook up a power meter in the truck while it's running.