RC poster

Speed really lacking

Hey Guys,

About two weeks ago I picked up my Rally after a couple years away from the hobby. I started with the stock battery, then 2S LiPo, then 3S LiPo; all of which left me disappointed.

I ordered the MMP 1415 combo and installed that yesterday along with the 19t pinion gear that came with the setup from Traxxas for high speed runs.

Even with the above setup, I am only seeing 26.4 MPH even with a 5000mah 3S LiPo battery. I removed all four wheels and checked the bearings for contamination. There was a little grass wrapped around the shaft but nothing crazy. I rechecked speed and it didn't change.

According to the charts I am seeing online for a 2400kv motor on 3S with a 19/54 gearing I should in theory be seeing 40mph.

I never did a GPS speed check with the stock VXL but I can tell it wasn't doing any better than it is with the castle setup.

Any thoughts as to what I can check? This has to be an issue with something binding, correct? I have verified the voltage at the battery to confirm charge. I also am using two different 3S batteries with the same results.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

RC Qualifier
    is there a trainning mode of these set ups? also tire size does affect over all speed very dramaticly, also check end points for throttle and what not. becuase if it only allows 70% throttle you wont see any more than that.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

RC poster
    I did not read anything about a training mode. I bought the usb adapter and it is in fact set to 100% throttle. I am running factory tires for the time being.

RC Qualifier
    i am not "up to date" on the battery ran vehicles, as i am a nitro rc'er, however i do know enough to say some of the systems use a training setting to start new drivers out with, so they dont get over their head on the FIRST run and go full throttle.

Have you ever checked the slipper clutch?
    Whatever you are, be a good one.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    Have you ever checked the slipper clutch?
    I ended up calling my LHS that I bought it from. He told me it could be a couple things. He had me put the stock VXL system back in it to trouble shoot. He had me check the slipper clutch and it was in fact a little loose. I tighened that up a bit and it helped but no where near what it should be.

He then had me re-calibrate the throttle servo settings. That did it. I went out to test it and broke both rear shocks in a cartwheel... I would have never bought the castle setup if I had know the vxl system was this fast stock!

Will this affect the castle setup as well? I know you have to calibrate the MMP when you first turn it on. Wouldn't that correct any issues the transmitter has? Or does the traxxas transmitter being wacky carry over to the MMP as well?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by devildog12210 View Post
    I ended up calling my LHS that I bought it from. He told me it could be a couple things. He had me put the stock VXL system back in it to trouble shoot. He had me check the slipper clutch and it was in fact a little loose. I tighened that up a bit and it helped but no where near what it should be.

He then had me re-calibrate the throttle servo settings. That did it. I went out to test it and broke both rear shocks in a cartwheel... I would have never bought the castle setup if I had know the vxl system was this fast stock!

Will this affect the castle setup as well? I know you have to calibrate the MMP when you first turn it on. Wouldn't that correct any issues the transmitter has? Or does the traxxas transmitter being wacky carry over to the MMP as well?
    so you did have to recalibrate the throttle?

RC poster
    Yes I did. At first I did the "reset to default settings" and it didn't help. Then I did the actual throttle servo calibration and that did the trick. I am sure there are people that love the TQI transmitter but I do not find it user friendly at all.

RC Qualifier
    which tqi do you have? the one with telemetry?

RC poster
    It didn't come with the telemetry but there were advertisements all over the box for it. I guess it expands to that. The one I have only has the two buttons on the top, menu and set. There are a ton of things you can adjust only using those two buttons, but it is a hassle IMO.

This corrected my issue with the castle setup as well. Now I am in need of new tires... It literally shredded the factory tires. I am now much happier with my purchase.

RC Qualifier
    can you tell or show me a picture of the controller? model # or picture please.

RC Qualifier
    That IS telemetry compatable.
    Bind you phone to the contrller using blue tooth, and It will b a world of difference