RC poster

What to upgrade?

Hi,

I recently got a Traxxas Slash 2wd off craigslist and I want to make this thing quick! It probably hits about 60 right now; it has a 5000mah battery.

What are my next steps to get this baby to go even faster.. other than gearing it to like 1:1. I am talking a bigger motor, bigger batteries, multiple batteries etc.

I am new to these things, but I am very good with electronics.

Thanks interested to get some input!

RC Champion
    Well that's pretty good if it's a vxl..I'd upgrade with either steel output yolks and slash 4x4 drive shafts..they are beefier and a direct fit on the 2wd..if u want to good faster put a turbine on her lol!!!

RC Competitor
    I made an attempt for 60 mph configuration-3S and the 28 pinion. Otherwise stock...it would hit guessing 45-50 mph and flip in the air. I know a weight needs to go on the front, but it was just too fast to be controllable even at that speed when it wasn't lifting the front end due to blowover.

The 60 mph is almost just a gimmick in my opinion. (I like to tell people that too, but...) No way my truck can do that on the track...even a 19 pinion is too fast on the top end for me to use it.

It was fun though!

If you have vxl it WILL overheat on that gearing. Go with what traxxas suggests.

Also if you are looking for a new motor, try the 3800 by castle creations you can gear it I'd say 6 teeth higher that vxl.
    That motor pull lots of amps so make sure you buy a venom/gens-ace/spc/trak-power 3s 5000mah 40c or higher rated battery

The c is the current that is delivered. Here is how it's done...

So 40c x 5000mah = 200000
    200000/1000= 200amps

So that castle motor generally pull around 165 ish amps from what I've seen. I haven't done any testing as I don't have technology to do the test. But 200amp battery ( 40c,5000 mah and you want 3s)
    Will be safe.
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
    I made an attempt for 60 mph configuration-3S and the 28 pinion. Otherwise stock...it would hit guessing 45-50 mph and flip in the air. I know a weight needs to go on the front, but it was just too fast to be controllable even at that speed when it wasn't lifting the front end due to blowover.

The 60 mph is almost just a gimmick in my opinion. (I like to tell people that too, but...) No way my truck can do that on the track...even a 19 pinion is too fast on the top end for me to use it.

It was fun though!
    Mine doesn't quite pop wheelies, but at full speed it seems like it hits about 60, I have not clocked it so it could be like 50 or so. I traded my pocket bike for this that went a legit 55, clocked next to a car, and it seems about as quick or faster than that.

Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    If you have vxl it WILL overheat on that gearing. Go with what traxxas suggests.

Also if you are looking for a new motor, try the 3800 by castle creations you can gear it I'd say 6 teeth higher that vxl.
    That motor pull lots of amps so make sure you buy a venom/gens-ace/spc/trak-power 3s 5000mah 40c or higher rated battery

The c is the current that is delivered. Here is how it's done...

So 40c x 5000mah = 200000
    200000/1000= 200amps

So that castle motor generally pull around 165 ish amps from what I've seen. I haven't done any testing as I don't have technology to do the test. But 200amp battery ( 40c,5000 mah and you want 3s)
    Will be safe.
    Right now I have the Velineon motor on there with the 3s ESC that goes with it. That Castle Creations looks nice! Aren't the "c's" ratings for Lipo batteries? I have heard those are pretty dangerous. Is there a secondary option to those, like doubling up on the other type of batteries? I have a 5000mah but it is not a Lipo.

I know a weight needs to go on the front, but it was just too fast to be controllable even at that speed when it wasn't lifting the front end due to blowover.
    One solution is to use a roll cage which won't catch the air. Then you can worry about fixing the other things keeping you from 70mph.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    patthehat033: You nay have answered your own question...if you aren't running a 3S LIPO, then that should be your first 'upgrade.'

I ran the NIMH for some time and then tried the 3S...30% faster than it is now...due to ~30% voltage/hit. Likely your truck is only going ~40 mph. You haven't seen anything until you run the 3S LIPO. I was skeptical...after, I just laugh as it takes flight or rides a wheelie.

Even going to the largest parking lot I can find (airport), I still don't feel I have enough space. Maybe my driving skills are not up to par.

The rollcage is a good idea though.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by Tim M; 10-21-2012 at 04:00 PM.

RC poster
    patthehat033: You nay have answered your own question...if you aren't running a 3S LIPO, then that should be your first 'upgrade.'

I ran the NIMH for some time and then tried the 3S...30% faster than it is now...due to ~30% voltage/hit. Likely your truck is only going ~40 mph. You haven't seen anything until you run the 3S LIPO. I was skeptical...after, I just laugh as it takes flight or rides a wheelie.

Even going to the largest parking lot I can find (airport), I still don't feel I have enough space. Maybe my driving skills are not up to par.

Good Luck.
    Lipo's are pretty dangerous though. Is there any other solutions other than lipo's?

RC poster

Good Luck.
    Lipo's are pretty dangerous though. Is there any other solutions other than lipo's?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by patthehat033 View Post
    As Double G said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Most of the videos you see are of idiots deliberately causing the lipos to start on fire. The batteries are not fragile though they should be handled with care and some precautions should be made. If they really were that dangerous I'm pretty sure the general public would avoid having them in their vehicles.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DBG View Post
    As Double G said:
    Yes, but if I overcharge it, it could start a fire. Also I like to jump this thing pretty hard. I jumped it 44 feet yesterday, a lithium pack is probably not made for rough impact. Or is it?

RC Qualifier
    Yes, but if I overcharge it, it could start a fire. Also I like to jump this thing pretty hard. I jumped it 44 feet yesterday, a lithium pack is probably not made for rough impact. Or is it?
    For the fire problem: Lipo bags
    And I think maybe a hard case lipo can support the punishment better than a soft case...
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC poster
    Lol can't they also catch on fire, on the actual rc car?

RC Qualifier
    Lol can't they also catch on fire, on the actual rc car?
    Are you charging the lipo battery in your RC car?
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DBG View Post
    Are you charging the lipo battery in your RC car?
    No, I charge it off of the RC car, but under load the battery can get pretty hot, couldn't a Lipo battery get hot enough to cause a fire under heavy loads. Or in the case that the Lipo battery was hot from being under load and then I gets a huge impact from a jump it could also explode?

RC Qualifier
    No, I charge it off of the RC car, but under load the battery can get pretty hot, couldn't a Lipo battery get hot enough to cause a fire under heavy loads. Or in the case that the Lipo battery was hot from being under load and then I gets a huge impact from a jump it could also explode?
    You are using a Nimh battery, right? If so, is normal for Nimh batteries become hot after a run...The Lipo just swell/puff under really heavy loads...
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

Don't fear the lipo. Nimh is so 1970's.

What do you think powers your cellphone?? Has it ever caught on fire? Granted we are harder on an rc lipo than a phone, but don't worry, go lipo.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    Yeah seriously. Go lipo and you will never look back. Lipo's aren't dangerous of you don't make them dangerous.

And actually if I recall correctly, my phone uses lithium ION.

Samsung Epic - Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Competitor
    LIPO's: the extra bit of care they need are worth it. The chargers one should use have failsafe to avoid overcharging (also equipped with balancing). The Slash has a low voltage cut off so you won't go too low and the car shuts off automatically.

A LIPO bag is $20...my Onyx 235 was ~$80.

Normally a LIPO should not get hot during use.

Really changes the behavior of the truck to something that just has almost too much power. Great fun!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitteh298 View Post
    Yeah seriously. Go lipo and you will never look back. Lipo's aren't dangerous of you don't make them dangerous.

And actually if I recall correctly, my phone uses lithium ION.

Samsung Epic - Tapatalk 2
    I read somewhere the Li ION battery is more dangerous than a LiPO battery...
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL