RC Competitor

Lightbulb Shock Mounting Positions

I am a newb to RC cars and recently got the Stampede Brushless VXL 4x4 (6708). So far, I'm having the most fun racing on asphalt and made a change to the suspension by adjusting shock mounting positions as per the advice of the manual. I moved the front and rear shocks to positions 3 and 4 respectively. The performance improvements are incredible! I am extremely happy with it... but naturally, I am wondering if I can make it even better. I notice in the manual (page 20) there are mounting positions at the top of the shocks (A, B, and C). The factory configuration is position B. I am looking for advice on whether adjusting this to position A would benefit me.

BTW, I am running a LiPo 3 cell 5400 maH battery.

Thanks in advance! Rich

RC Qualifier
    Depending on your driving conditions, yes!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BadMonty View Post
    Depending on your driving conditions, yes!
    Hi, I just got a new Stampede 4x4 VXL and have attached an aftermarket VG Racing rollcage to it. Naturally, it has made the car a little heavier so I am wanting to stiffen up the front and rear shocks on the Stampede. Having trouble working out which way makes it stiffer. Most of the driving will be on grass (not long but not a golf course either) and I am running 3Cell Lipo for a power source. I want the car to be able to handle nicely with the additional weight from the roll cage. What is the best mounting position A,B,C and 1 to 5? is A1 the stiffest and C5 the softest? or is it the other way around? Thanks.

RC Enthusiast
    My understanding...the more vertical the shock is (bottom mount far in, top mount far out) the more travel and softer the shock will be. The more horizontal the shock (bottom mount farther out the arm, top mount farthest in) the less travel and firmer the shock will be. The bottom mount makes a large difference and moving the top mount is more fine tuning.

RC Racer
    Ok thanks. I'm currently using the factory mount positions but have used a few spacers in the shocks to stiffen them up.

RC Racer
    Just ordered some Traxxas Big bore shocks to replace the factory ones given the extra weight to the car. The rollcage looks solid though and would certainly provide some protection in a death role....

RC Qualifier
    Here is an quick explanation of shock position.
    http://www.competitionx.com/rc-racin...ing-positions/