RC Competitor

What 540 brushed motor to install on a 2WD slash 1/10 scale?

I burned a Titan 12T 550 motor. I upgraded to a mamba max with a 5700kv motor. Unfortunately I am not convinced about waterproofing the ESC so I am thinking maybe for some winter bashing in the snow and mud maybe I should go back to the XL-5 ESC which is waterproof. However I dont want to buy the Titan again. It lasted for only 20 charging cycles of my 2s LIPO and 25 cycles of the standard NIMH battery packs. SO I am looking for a cheap replacement. SInce I guess 550 is only made by Traxxas maybe I can use a 540 brushed motor of another brand. For example this one costs 1/3 of Titans price but it is 15T. Will it do the job? What will the performance be of the 15T compared to the 12T? Taking into consideration it is a 540 not a 550 size.
    http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=pl&partNo=1146

RC Champion
    Well longer motors just run more efficiently and provide more torque and 15turns will be a little slower than the titan(theoretically) but since the titan is low quality maybe not
    Yes, I drive an electric converted Nitro Hawk.

RC Competitor
    I'm not sure if the Titan is low quality, after all it's a Traxxas. But I feel it burned down way to fast for me. Just 2-3 weeks of running.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrogus47 View Post
    I'm not sure if the Titan is low quality, after all it's a Traxxas. But I feel it burned down way to fast for me. Just 2-3 weeks of running.
    A good brushed motor, maintained properly can last long time

RC Competitor
    So what exactly is the life of a well maintianed Titan 12 motor? I saw many posts with people complaining on the Titan 12T. At least I tried to take care of mine - don't overheat it, dust it with compressed ait. The brushes are fine but the commutator is dark colored. I dont think the motor can be taken apart but when I try to scrape the commutator with some sharp but small tool i.e. a small screwdriver the part is again copper colored and the engine is brought back to life. For 1 or 2 minutes if I'm lucky. In my case I presume the LIPO might have shortened the life. NIMH isnt as powerfull and delivers lower current after each couple of seconds while LIPO gives nearly a flat current until it is almost drained.

RC Champion
    Lubrication is also quite important ..but to my not so extensive education of brushed motors you did a good job

RC Competitor
    I did use a drop of machine oil on the shaft when it got a little squeeky. But I didn't use WD40 - I think that could make the motor sticky inside and would pull dust into the motor.

Get a high torque stock motor like the p2k or a co27 and install reedy 766 brush so it doesn't eat up the comm. Also.I would replace the bushings with bearings.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

When you took that screw driver to clean the comm....you scratched the surface and most likely cause the comm to go out of round. That can lower the life of the motor. The best way to clean the motor is LOL soak it in Lysol 4in1 bathroom cleaner for 10mins. This should dissolve any dirt that is between the comm segments. Take a qtip and clean the comm. Rinse and air dry. Relube the bushings with a bushing oil...I used synthetic motor oil. Just 1 little drop will do. You need a oil not a lubricate like wd40. Keeping the motor clean will increase its life and proformance.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Competitor
    Lysol is a good idea! I'll give it a shot and we'll see. WD40 is phosporic acid with some lube, but not oil. It shouldnt be used in a motor without a good reason.

RC Competitor
    I bought the HPI Firebolt 15T 540 motor. It costs 11$ where as they would charge me nearly 35$ for the Titan T12. It's a little shorter than the Titan and generally smaller. The shaft is the same 3,16mm.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I tested it on the street with a GPS and I capped 38 kmh:
    I did't use it for a long time and I measured the highest temperature to be 128 F. What is the top temperature admittable for this motor?

I used a 23/90 gearing because I am unable to unscrew the stock 19T pinion off the Titan shaft. I used a 1,5mm hex tool but it's to small. Is the pinion mount not metric?!? I meausred it with the caliber and it is about 1,6 mm. Anyone else had this issue? Any tips?

RC Champion
    Your set screw might be stripped you will need to get just a slightly bigger (than the standard 1.5mm) standard hex driver if that is not possible drill the set screw out with a bit smaller than 1.5mm so you do not tear up the pinion gear hole
    It will probably have a little less torque since itnis smaller and 128 sounds fine to me

I bought the HPI Firebolt 15T 540 motor. It costs 11$ where as they would charge me nearly 35$ for the Titan T12. It's a little shorter than the Titan and generally smaller. The shaft is the same 3,16mm.

I did't use it for a long time and I measured the highest temperature to be 128 F. What is the top temperature admittable for this motor?

I used a 23/90 gearing because I am unable to unscrew the stock 19T pinion off the Titan shaft. I used a 1,5mm hex tool but it's to small. Is the pinion mount not metric?!? I meausred it with the caliber and it is about 1,6 mm. Anyone else had this issue? Any tips?

I have tried 3 or 4 different HPI Firebolt 15T motors in my Slash and none of them have lasted for longer than one run. The latest one was last weekend and I was geared 17/90 on dirt. Motor never got too hot to the touch, but it just kept getting slower until it would barely move. My lipo never dropped below 3.9 volts per cell. I'm done buying those things.

Has anyone tried the Team Checkpoint 19T Money motor in a Slash? I'm really happy with the one in my TRX-1, but don't know how it will do in the Slash.

RC Competitor
    So my Firebolt lasted already 2 runs in offroad.
    I was able to unscrew the little grub using not the 1,5mm but a 1/16 hex. Strange. But it got the job done

RC Racer
    superfrogus, where did you read that WD-40 is phosphoric acid? On wikipedia's website, sited straight from WD-40's MSDS literature, here's what's in it:
    WD-40's formula is a trade secret. The product is not patented to avoid completely disclosing its ingredients.[2] [3]WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

50% Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits: primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene)
    25% Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
    15+% Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
    10-% Inert ingredients
    The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety-relevant ingredients:

60–80% Heavy Naphtha (petroleum product), hydrogen treated
    1–5% Carbon dioxide
    It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used. Water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.

There is a popular urban legend that the key ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil.[4] However, the WD-40 web site states that it is a petroleum based product.

Not trying to point fingers, or "brow beat" you, I'm just very curious, as to where you read/ heard that it's phosphoric acic. I've used it for years, from everything from washing waxes and adhesives off of my hands, to lubricating many things that move. I now reserve it, for it's originally intended purpose, and that's as a water displacer. That's how it got the name "wd-40". Water Displacement- 40th attempt. I just thought, if it contained phosphoric acid, it would warrant placement on the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet).
    LCG BL Slash, 5803 Slash, 2 scale trucks WIP

RC Racer
    And the 550 sized motors aren't exclusive, to Traxxas. I originally had an HPI Racing 12t 550, in my LCG, when I first built it, and have even tried 550 sized motors, from countless cordless drills... if you want to stay with a 550, try looking on your local craigslist, for cordless drills, that either the owners can't get batteries for, have stripped out the chuck on, or lost their charger. You might be in luck, and even get a bunch of them, for little ($5-10), or no cost, except for the time in looking, and cost of fuel, to retrieve your "new" motors I've run the drill motors, and found that the Black & Decker motors, and other lower end brands, act like the Titan 21t motors, found in hte E-maxxes, and are great for lower speed bashing, and mudding. Just keep the compressed air/ motor spray, and bushing lube handy, to make them last.
    Last edited by revv-it; 08-19-2011 at 08:09 AM. Reason: typo
    LCG BL Slash, 5803 Slash, 2 scale trucks WIP

RC Competitor
    Revv-it: It was very interesting to read your post regarding the formula of WD40. I heard it contains phosporic acid in the hardware store where I bought it, but I guess the guy was not a chemist. He claimed it is the phosporic acid that reacts with rust making cleaning or unscrewing old screws easier. Anyway, I dont think phosporic acid is dangerous - it depends on its concentration. I also heard a rumour that coca-cola contains a small amount of phosporic acid. And by the way coke also is a good rust cleaner! Drop a rusty nail into a cupo of coke - just dont drink it an the next day - voila!
    Too bad I didn't know about the drill motors - not even 2 weeks ago I scrapped my old wireless drill!!!

RC Qualifier
    Does the hpi firebolt fit exactly in the traxxas slash 2wd?

RC Qualifier

WOW $35 for a T12 on $18 here in the states

If your cash flow allows? take your xl-5 and burnt titan,and trade up for a water proof vxl brush less system.
    I run them in two of my slash's.
    I wont run my castle system trucks in wet conditions either.
    I burned a Titan 12T 550 motor. I upgraded to a mamba max with a 5700kv motor. Unfortunately I am not convinced about waterproofing the ESC so I am thinking maybe for some winter bashing in the snow and mud maybe I should go back to the XL-5 ESC which is waterproof. However I dont want to buy the Titan again. It lasted for only 20 charging cycles of my 2s LIPO and 25 cycles of the standard NIMH battery packs. SO I am looking for a cheap replacement. SInce I guess 550 is only made by Traxxas maybe I can use a 540 brushed motor of another brand. For example this one costs 1/3 of Titans price but it is 15T. Will it do the job? What will the performance be of the 15T compared to the 12T? Taking into consideration it is a 540 not a 550 size.
    http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=pl&partNo=1146
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    Lots of useful knowledge here.
    Thanks guys.

RC Qualifier
    You're too easy on it. The motor has a terrible longevity even when cared for and geared conservatively...

The only reason I'd run a Titan is to run in spec slash class.

The titan is a "550" but I'd call it a 540 with an extra fan that adds no power whatsoever.
    SSC SLASH 4X4 (Long gone...)
    Slash 4x4 PE LCG