Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    You won't clear those with the stock motor system, but if you jump that well with a Summit, it shouldn't let you down.
    Mmm maybe the Summit isn't for me then, it is awesome and I love what it is capable of but I'm after something that'll clear jumps like my Revo 3.3 but electric, I have been thinking about getting another mini Summit, mini Revo or even a Revo brushless but they're not capable of doing what the big Summit can, too many choices haha.

RC Qualifier
    You can upgrade the stock electronics to a sensored brushless setup, but I've never drove a Revo so I'm going to refrain from giving any kind of comparison between the two.

However, I know you can get some crazy power out of the brushless, and with the sensored setup, you can still keep the low end abilities.

Great news update! I sold my snowblower today! (Wow, that was quick, I thought I would have to wait a week or so) It sold for............................................... ..............................$210! So, now the grand total is my Summit fund is...

$535! I'm almost there! But, on a side note, I kind of miss my snowblower now, I mean I had over 60 hours of labor in that thing... You just watch... It will snow over a foot tomorrow and I'll be stuck using a snow shovel for 5 hours! But when I look at the fact I made $135 off of it, and it's going to help me pay for my Summit, the pain goes away.
    2SummitE/TmaxxVillainSlash2&4SlayerPndeTeton

RC Qualifier
    get a kawasaki edition summit, that way you save ALOT more money to get a good sensored motor
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSnake View Post
    You can upgrade the stock electronics to a sensored brushless setup, but I've never drove a Revo so I'm going to refrain from giving any kind of comparison between the two.

However, I know you can get some crazy power out of the brushless, and with the sensored setup, you can still keep the low end abilities.
    This is a possibilty but kind of defeats the purpose in getting a Summit. Do brushed motors have more torque than brushless motos? Is that why Traxxas have used a brushed motor in the Summit? I thought the stock motor would be fast enough to clear those jumps judging by the Traxxas videos but then it may not be as suited to doing it as my Revo 3.3 is. Maybe a brushless Revo is the way for me to go?

RC Competitor
    Nice one Wolfslash16, that's a good sale and a few steps closer to the Summit.

RC Racer
    My stock summit, running 2s lipos has some pretty good zip to it... Thing that hurts it the most is the weight... Its considerably more then my revo 3.3. But my revo quivers when it sees where and what i do with my summit!!

RC Competitor
    I would've thought the Summit would be of similar weight to a stock Revo 3.3? Traxxas should starting noting the weight of vehicle in the description.

The Traxxas Revo 3.3 I'm guessing weighs more than the Summit, because the Revo has a heavy, nitro engine gas tank, and a aluminium chassis. I'm not sure though, if someone has a Summit and a Revo, they can chime in and most likely say what the weight difference is. Hope this helps!

RC Qualifier
    No, the summit is far heavier. With batteries it tips the scales at 12.7 lbs. (assuming stock 3000mah nimh batts), the revo weighs 10.3 lbs. That is massive in the world of 1:10 RC. TRAXXAS does in fact note their models weight in the specs on this site. Quite the resource, in fact that's where I found the above mentioned numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
    This is a possibilty but kind of defeats the purpose in getting a Summit. Do brushed motors have more torque than brushless motos? Is that why Traxxas have used a brushed motor in the Summit? I thought the stock motor would be fast enough to clear those jumps judging by the Traxxas videos but then it may not be as suited to doing it as my Revo 3.3 is. Maybe a brushless Revo is the way for me to go?
    Brushed motors are smoother than sensorless brushless motors (and much cheaper.) No ifs, ands, or buts. But sensored brushless motors, while giving up only a little power pound-for-pound to their sensorless cousins, are as smooth as brushed (and more expensive than either.)
    A 1:8 scale sensored brushless motor will allow you to do all you want with a Summit IF you can control your throttle finger and if you stay out of the wet stuff. If not, expect it to spend a lot of time on the bench.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    The Traxxas Revo 3.3 I'm guessing weighs more than the Summit, because the Revo has a heavy, nitro engine gas tank, and a aluminium chassis. I'm not sure though, if someone has a Summit and a Revo, they can chime in and most likely say what the weight difference is. Hope this helps!
    That's what I though but apparently not. I would weigh my Revo 3.3 but it's not stuck, it has numerous weight saving parts including a carbon fibre chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
    No, the summit is far heavier. With batteries it tips the scales at 12.7 lbs. (assuming stock 3000mah nimh batts), the revo weighs 10.3 lbs. That is massive in the world of 1:10 RC. TRAXXAS does in fact note their models weight in the specs on this site. Quite the resource, in fact that's where I found the above mentioned numbers.

Thanks for the info, I've never noticed the weights, thanks for pointing that out. The Summit weights 2.4lbs more, that is a fair difference! The Summit is still on my wish list but I'm not 100% decided upon it yet.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Brushed motors are smoother than sensorless brushless motors (and much cheaper.) No ifs, ands, or buts. But sensored brushless motors, while giving up only a little power pound-for-pound to their sensorless cousins, are as smooth as brushed (and more expensive than either.)
    A 1:8 scale sensored brushless motor will allow you to do all you want with a Summit IF you can control your throttle finger and if you stay out of the wet stuff. If not, expect it to spend a lot of time on the bench.
    Thank you for the explanation, just to clarify, will the stock motor allow me to do what I want to do? i.e. bit of crawling, bmx dirt jumps, go over extreme terrain

I always stay out of the wet stuff, in my opinion electrics and water shouldn't really be mixed so no problem there.

I don't think my Summit in stock form (19 mph / 31 km/h top speed) could clear those particular jumps. Perhaps someone else could chime in.

RC Champion
    I waterproofed my sensored setup - I just opened up the sensor portion, threw a bunch of liquid electric tape on there, and same with the ESC, and voila - waterproof. No issues with it in water!

WATER doesn't affect electronics, it's the minerals from the water that build up over time or the salinity of the water that allows the electronics to short out. So, some liquid electric tape on your sensored brushless, and you're fine for running through puddles, AND you're more than capable enough to make those jumps you're talking about! =)

Landing them perfectly is the challenge
    It hits hard when the landing is bad lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Ok, guess what? I thought of an other question! When I get my Summit, I want to get the longest run time possible... So, the question is gearing. I know the Summit isn't meant to be a speed demon, but everyone loves speed... With the stock gearing, is it ok for grass running? Or should I gear it lower, or even higher? If anyone has a chart where it shows what gear gives you what top speed, on differnt surfaces, etc. it would help alot. Thanks a bunch guys!

Stock gearing seems to be right in the sweet spot...
    any higher (more speed, less run time) and the motor cannot take it
    any lower and it would be slower (more run time) and really torquey for climbing.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

I agree with Jimmie the 775 is not the motor for gearing up.20 doesn't sound fast,but with a truck this size ...pray for whatever is in its way because it is going to leave a mark.lol the dewalt can be geared up for a bit more speed.
    It is no race truck....unless its a pretty crazy track

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Thanks for the help, again guys! Another dumb question I'm sure I've asked... If I upgrade to the DeWalt, will I get longer run times with the stock nimh because it has bearings, insted of bushings, or will it shorten my run times because it's a more powerful motor... And if it will lessen my run time, by how much will it shorten it, and what is the best ways to stop it? Thanks a million guys!

RC Racer
    Hey Wolf, having owned a 10th scale 2012 summit for the past month, I reckon you should wait until yours arrives and go for a good drive!.
    The Summit is a monster truck and as such climbs well, bashes well and still has enough speed once switched over, to move along those dirt tracks or beach, at a pretty decent rate!. After a while if you find yourself wanting in any department, then go looking for what ever it is you need .

I won't be doing anything to my stock Summit - although I'm running the two 2S 5000mah 30/60c Lipo batteries which are more than enough .

I may buy another set of wheels/tires from Proline and get the top light bar, but that's it for me !

Quote Originally Posted by Stach35 View Post

I won't be doing anything to my stock Summit - although I'm running the two 2S 5000mah 30/60c Lipo batteries which are more than enough .

I may buy another set of wheels/tires from Proline and get the top light bar, but that's it for me !
    I think I have heard that many times before.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Champion
    Yeah, I said that before I bought mine... $3500 later, I'm STILL building it hahaha.

Ok, thanks again for the help guys! I've read a few times that the Titan 775 needs to be broken in, and I can't find anywhere info on how to break it in. Does anyone know what id the best and proper way to break one in? Thanks!

RC Champion
    For what it's worth, I never broke mine in and it lasted just fine. You DO need to maintain it though, but keeping it clean is usually good enough. It's a $25-30 motor anyway so no biggy when it fails.

Thanks for the help, again guys! Another dumb question I'm sure I've asked... If I upgrade to the DeWalt, will I get longer run times with the stock nimh because it has bearings, insted of bushings, or will it shorten my run times because it's a more powerful motor... And if it will lessen my run time, by how much will it shorten it, and what is the best ways to stop it? Thanks a million guys!
    Any answers?

The DeWALT has more power... more power takes more juice. I am not sure how much more.

Best way to stop shortening run time?
    Keep it in low gear and don't pull the trigger all the way back.

Alright, thanks Jimmie! I was looking for what batterys I wanted to get for my Summit, and I was planning on getting two of these. http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_7_Ce..._p/tra2960.htm I know they're expensive, but my mom said I can't get lipos. So, that's why I'm looking a nimh batterys. But, then I saw these batterys. http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_8_Ce..._p/tra2963.htm It has 9.6 volts! But, my question is would it even fit? I don't think it wold, I just wanted to know if there is any way I could make it fit. Thanks guys!

Hump packs will not fit in the batt trays
    Lipo is not that dangerous when used properly.a kitchen knife can be deadly when used incorrectly.that being said nimh have more trouble supplying amps
    So they fade quicker under load.
    Runtime is reduced some.
    With a set of 5000 mah lipo I'm getting a hour a set give or take.it does depend on how you drive and what you are driving on.lipo has come a long way in safety and reliability.They are much safer than they used to be.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

But if his parent(s) say no, there isn't much that can change that.

Run time changes from LiPo to NiMh too...
    3,300mAh NiMh batteries have a shorter run time than 2,500mAh LiPo batteries in my buddies eMaxx.
    Both are roughly the same age/cycle count. The best we can figure is that the amp draw causes a good portion of the energy to turn into heat within the pack rather than power to the motor.

From what I can find in a quick search, 5,000mAh seems to be the largest available for a 7 cell flat NiMh pack.

But if his parent(s) say no, there isn't much that can change that.

Run time changes from LiPo to NiMh too...
    3,300mAh NiMh batteries have a shorter run time than 2,500mAh LiPo batteries in my buddies eMaxx.
    Both are roughly the same age/cycle count. The best we can figure is that the amp draw causes a good portion of the energy to turn into heat within the pack rather than power to the motor.

From what I can find in a quick search, 5,000mAh seems to be the largest available for a 7 cell flat NiMh pack.
    Thanks. You're right about my mom, she's scared spitless of a lipo blowing up. Do you know know how much runtime roughly I would get if I got two Traxxas series 5 5000 mah 8.2 volt batterys? I really like the Traxxas batterys, so I trust them...If you can, give me ALL the info you know about a battery with that high of a mah rating. Like what's the best rate to charge them, the runtimes, more power, and overall how much better they could be compared to the stock 3000 mah Traxxas batterys. Thanks a ton!

Have you ever thought of having someone speak to the parent(s) in question? Because honestly ANY power source equivalent to LiPos or your linked NiMH packs is dangerous. Conversely, if treated appropriately and with all the proper safeguards, LiPo is a rather safe battery chemistry.

I have. They said, "anything that dangerous should not be in the house" I've told them A MILLION TIMES that they are not risky if you use them right, but they they said I would end up making the lipos blow up somehow. So, are the Traxxas 5 series battery any good?

I would guess they are but I don't use NiMH batteries and have not for a long time.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I have. They said, "anything that dangerous should not be in the house" I've told them A MILLION TIMES that they are not risky if you use them right, but they they said I would end up making the lipos blow up somehow. So, are the Traxxas 5 series battery any good?
    Do your parents own a cell phone, laptop computer or a fairly new cordless power tool? If so they already have a LiPo battery pack in their home for each item noted.

OK, here's a side topic... I will most likly be running my Summit on me and my friend's custom track, (yes, I know the Summit is not a track car by any means, but I will be doing it anyway, so don't try to stop me ) and I know the stock tires will not do well on loose clay/dust... So, what tires can I get for the Summit, that will fit on stock Traxxas Geode rims, that would go good for driving on loose surfaces? I was thinking about Pro line Trenchers, but I don't know if they'll fit on the stock Summit Geode rims. So, what is a good off road tire that will fit on the stock Summit rims? Thanks!

Trencher X (1184-00) and Masher 3.8" (1189-00) tires from Proline will fit the Geodes.
    Also:
    Sling Shot 3.8" (1179-00)
    Badlands 3.8" (1178-00)
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-04-2012 at 07:12 AM.

RC Qualifier
    +1 on the trencher x. Buddy has them mounted on a set of geodes. They look pretty good. They are wider than the canyons and a tick shorter. I'm between those and big joes for running in the snow and when not full on climbing.

The regular trenchers have a different bead if I'm not mistaken and won't fit but the trencher x's will.

Sticking with the geodes is nice because you don't have to worry about wheel spacers or rubbing on your a arms, they already have the offset built in. They technically come in two colors if you are so inclined to strip them down.

RC Qualifier
    I may be way off, but if your thinking about taking the canyons off the geode rims I would suggest to be very careful with the canyons. They are thin and I had a time getting them off the rims without ripping them. I hate to ruin good tires. I boiled them, but if i was going to do it again I would probably use acetone, just to get rid of as much glue as I can.

I just bought a set of Trencher X ' s pre mounted and one Tire has a horrible glue job, bad enough I'm going to re-glue it. If I were to buy them again, I'd just get the tires and wheels separate and mount them myself. But I love the Trencher's!

RC Qualifier
    I say get the summit.
    what's up guys