Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    LOLOL!!
    Like I said, you REALLY need terrain to challenge this vehicle. If you don't have stuff like this:

then you are missing out.

The truck lifts a front wheel at about 0:05 or 0:06. This means the angle is approximately 53. That's 1.18:1 (or 118% grade.)
    In comparison, US military humvees are spec'd to have a grade capability of 40% @ GCW. Humvee Cobra = 60%.

Can crawlers do better? Yes. Would you want to drive them down the -mile gravel access road @ 2 to 6 mph to get to where that video was recorded? Well, that's a deeply personal question.

Thoughts for the genpop:
    The Summit is a truck I knew I wanted but that I did not know how much I wanted until I got it.
    I think it's also a truck that if you and it don't bond or click right away will probably never work for you.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Well... I read this thread and it's sound interesting from the start.
    Thanks Wolfslash16 for made this thread, because it answer most of my questions and made a review for the summit... and now I want a summit ... I think I am going to get the summit in December for Christmas but I am not sure because the price... But, i dont know...
    Glad to know this thread helped more than me!
    I think I am going to get the summit in December for Christmas but I am not sure because the price... But, i dont know...
    I'm thinking the same thing... I'm only 50% sure I'll have enough money for christmas to get my Summit....
    2SummitE/TmaxxVillainSlash2&4SlayerPndeTeton

One more question... Is there a good way to get water out of the tires, without putting holes in them? I know the holes work best, but the Summit tires are soo soft, a hole could tear it... Or, what is the best way of PREVENTING water from getting in the tires? I just hate mold growing inside them, and having the tires wobble really bad... Thanks! -Wolfslash16

RC Qualifier
    you could try un glueing a part of the rim/tire, of course you would have to reglue it, but i think you're suppose to punch a hole in the rim, not the tire
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

To get water out of the tire, you are supposed to cut a small hole in the tire.... the rim holes are what allows the water to enter. Besides, water is going to be spun away from the rim... so how is water supposed to exit through a hole in the rim??

If the hole is in the "D" shaped tread of the tire, there is more material surrounding the hole so it will be less likely to rip.

The only way to prevent it is to avoid water... no driving in it and no washing with it.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

The only way to prevent it is to avoid water... no driving in it and no washing with it.
    Ya, I think at BEST, I could stay away from water for about, maybe, 2 days? What's the point in having an electric rc car that's not waterproof?

Ya, I think at BEST, I could stay away from water for about, maybe, 2 days? What's the point in having an electric rc car that's not waterproof?
    Well, I guess if you don't mind tuning nitros you also won't mind all the extra maintenance that comes with running a big, complex electric truck in the wet. I mean, how many bearings, screws, pins, electrical connectors, etc. could it have? Not to mention destruction of the tires and foams, and the extra wear & tear of other parts that accompanies 5-lb. out-of-balance tires.

Well, I guess if you don't mind tuning nitros you also won't mind all the extra maintenance that comes with running a big, complex electric truck in the wet. I mean, how many bearings, screws, pins, electrical connectors, etc. could it have? Not to mention destruction of the tires and foams, and the extra wear & tear of other parts that accompanies 5-lb. out-of-balance tires.
    True... never thought of it that way... But I think I'd rather deal with bearings and rusty screws, and have it still working, then just trying to get a nitro running, let alone dealing with bearings, screws, etc. Just my 02. cents.

RC Enthusiast
    should i buy a summit or wait for the new rally

Quote Originally Posted by rustlerman4 View Post
    should i buy a summit or wait for the new rally
    Depends what you want from your truck I suppose? I like the summits capabilities and its variety of terrain it could be used in.
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Like I said, you REALLY need terrain to challenge this vehicle.

The truck lifts a front wheel at about 0:05 or 0:06. This means the angle is approximately 53. That's 1.18:1 (or 118% grade.)
    In comparison, US military humvees are spec'd to have a grade capability of 40% @ GCW. Humvee Cobra = 60%.

Can crawlers do better? Yes. Would you want to drive them down the -mile gravel access road @ 2 to 6 mph to get to where that video was recorded? Well, that's a deeply personal question.

Thoughts for the genpop:
    The Summit is a truck I knew I wanted but that I did not know how much I wanted until I got it.
    I think it's also a truck that if you and it don't bond or click right away will probably never work for you.
    Nice one KSB...I a few places like that in the forest behind my house; I am looking forward to the using the summit there.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I just used "power tape" to cover the holes on the rims. Could still crawl on rocks fine and water didn't enter the tires when crossing small creeks, puddles and washing the tires in the tub (after removing them from the truck). For summer I removed the power tapes (no puddles, no mud, etc), now with the rainy and later snowy season coming I'll tape the holes again.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    Depends what you want from your truck I suppose? I like the summits capabilities and its variety of terrain it could be used in.
    i like its capability to i might turn it into a mamba monster

Quote Originally Posted by rustlerman4 View Post
    i like its capability to i might turn it into a mamba monster
    An eSum-Revo rock crawler .
    Rock n Rolla !

Ok, slight update on my Summit fund... I've got $250... Still a long way to go... Can't wait to get it!

RC Qualifier
    I know you said you wanted to buy new, but you are close to having enough for a used one. Just saying cause waiting sucks

I know you said you wanted to buy new, but you are close to having enough for a used one. Just saying cause waiting sucks
    Ya, no kidding! Waiting untill chritmass is GOING TO KILL ME!!! But, when I watch videos and read threads here on the Summit, it helps ease my suffering...

Got another question... I know that the Revo's 3.3 diffs don't come with the I-bar between the spider gears, but the E-Revo and E-Maxx have one. So, does the Summit have that I-bar in the diff? Another question, what areas are prone to rust, dirt building up, or parts going bad? So what bearings get dirty the soonest and what places should I check for rust at? Just asking becuase this Summit is going to WAY harder to clean after a wet run, because I'm used to cleaning off a wet brushed Slash 2wd. Thanks for the help guys!

The bar is in the diff.
    Electric has WAY more torque than Nitro. That torque is what calls for the extra support.

Wheel bearings would get the most exposure to the elements.
    It usually takes me 5-10 minutes tops to wash up my Summit after a dirty run... I lightly spray it with water then take the air hose to it until it is dry.

Ok, thanks Jimmie! Good to know! Thanks!

RC poster
    Ok I have been thinking of getting the Summit for some time now but after reading all the info. on it I am getting ready to order 2. One is for me and the other is for my nine year old. I have a Revo 3.3, Jato 3.3. I also have a Tamiya Fox, Lunch box van, and Stadium blitzer and Tamiya Knight Hauler tractor trailer. I have one question as far as LiPo batteries. Should I order the Traxxis LiPo 2S 7.4V 7600 mAh are these good batteries?
    Last edited by RC junkie72; 10-14-2012 at 06:36 PM.

I haven't heard bad reviews of them
    Another option is spc 8200 mah
    Heard many many good reviews of them

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Here's another update on my Summit fund. I've got $310, I'm slightly more than half way there!

Ok, lets just asume I have my Summit now. What would be the best sensored brushless system to get? I guessing I'll have about $150 to spend, and I want a good motor/esc combo that would bo good for crawling, (with NO cogging) and more power than the stock brushed motor and esc. Thanks for your help!

$150 isn't going to even come close to the best sensored brushless system.
    I don't think it will even buy the cheapest brushless sensored system.

$150 isn't going to even come close to the best sensored brushless system.
    I don't think it will even buy the cheapest brushless sensored system.
    Wow, thanks for the quick response! Ok, throwing the $150 out the window, what would a "decent" brushless sensored system cost? Or, is there any other good motor/ecs setups that is worth looking at? I know there is the DeWalt mod, I plan on doing it, just wondering if there is any other good options out there. Thanks!

From what I read, Tekin is the top dog... with a HobbyWing system being the second in line.

From what I read, Tekin is the top dog... with a HobbyWing system being the second in line.
    Thanks! Do you have a link to them?

Here are a few that I researched before I actually drove the Summit and realized that it doesn't need it:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-combo-m6a.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-combo-m5a.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-combo-m4a.html

Although it is good to plan and save for the eventuality, why don't you get the Summit first and then see what you want to do with it? Unless you are set on selling the stock motor system as new, never used, there is no harm in checking out the stocker. It's really a very good system and will take you through the coming sloppy winter months and well beyond.

Wow, thanks for the speedy reply! I don't really plan on getting a brushless system for my Summit, but hey I just like knowing what I can get. Thanks!

Ok, here's another question for you guys... I was doing some research on NiMH batteries, and I found this article... Condition your NiMH batteries every 2 to 3 weeks. This process is simple. Put a battery in a piece of electronic equipment and run it until the battery goes dead. Then recharge the battery until it is fully charged. This will prolong the battery's life instead of shortening it drastically
    It says run the battery until it goes dead, so would that mean I should run my Summit untill it stops moving, then recharge it after I'm done? I thought that you need to stop before it goes dead, then wait awhile for it to cool before you recharge it. I'm confused, can anyone shed some light on what is correct, and what are the best ways to maintain NiMH batteries? Thanks a bunch guys!

RC Qualifier
    going off of personal experience, but on the stock nimh battery i ran the battery until it went dead and fully recharged it, the battery was still running like new... but on lipos i am pretty sure you shouldn't completely let the battery die
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

Allright, here's a little bit of a update... I've been at a stand still at earing money during the last week or so, and I came up with a idea... If I sell my snowblower, (I bought it for $20 ) I can earn roughly $100-$250 if I sell it. Wish me luck in selling it to earn money for my future Summit! Here is a few pictures of what my snowblower looks like.

Ok, here's another question for you guys... I was doing some research on NiMH batteries, and I found this article... Condition your NiMH batteries every 2 to 3 weeks. This process is simple. Put a battery in a piece of electronic equipment and run it until the battery goes dead. Then recharge the battery until it is fully charged. This will prolong the battery's life instead of shortening it drastically
    It says run the battery until it goes dead, so would that mean I should run my Summit untill it stops moving, then recharge it after I'm done? I thought that you need to stop before it goes dead, then wait awhile for it to cool before you recharge it. I'm confused, can anyone shed some light on what is correct, and what are the best ways to maintain NiMH batteries? Thanks a bunch guys!
    Don't listen to anyone else, only to me: when you see your truck slowing down/having a lack of power, stop running immediately and change out the NiMH batteries. Charge your NiMH packs as soon as the cells cool to room temperature. Running a pack all the way dead or even below 0.9V/cell will shorten its life drastically.

Wouldn't it be better to keep the snow removal apparatus and use it to make money in the coming cold season?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-24-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Wouldn't it be better to keep the snow removal apparatus and use it to make money in the coming cold season?
    I thought about that, but here in good'o Utah, the snow melts off of drive ways and side walks with in 24 hours. I bought the snow blower for $20 bucks last year. I had a ton of rust on it, it needed new belts, a new head gasket, and a cleaned out carb because it had been sitting for over 2 years. With all of the parts/paint I've put in it, I only have about $50 into it. So, if I sell it, for, say, $150, I could take all of that $150 and put it straight into my Summit fund. I going to put it up for slae for $250, and the lowest I'll go in going to be $150... LOL, Wait, you had me monologing! Wish me luck!

I thought about that, but here in good'o Utah, the snow melts off of drive ways and side walks with in 24 hours. I bought the snow blower for $20 bucks last year. I had a ton of rust on it, it needed new belts, a new head gasket, and a cleaned out carb because it had been sitting for over 2 years. With all of the parts/paint I've put in it, I only have about $50 into it. So, if I sell it, for, say, $150, I could take all of that $150 and put it straight into my Summit fund. I going to put it up for slae for $250, and the lowest I'll go in going to be $150... LOL, Wait, you had me monologing! Wish me luck!
    Lol I'm tricky that way. Maybe save the tracks for the Summit! Haha!

Maybe save the tracks for the Summit! Haha!
    LOL, When I was cleaning it up to take pictures, I had that same thought... "I wonder if I could get those tracks to fit on my Summit..." Who knows, maybe I could get them to work. I have a spare set of tracks I was going to throw in with the snowblower, but now I think I'll go out and make some mesurements...

RC Competitor
    I'm also thinking about getting a Summit but I have a question, can the Summit handle dirt jumps like my Revo 3.3?

I'm after an all rounder truck, I don't mind not having crazy speed as I'd to do some crawling, bashing about and hit the dirt jumps every so often.

You won't clear those with the stock motor system, but if you jump that well with a Summit, it shouldn't let you down.
    Check jamann's video: