RC Racer

Question TQi Link 2.4GHz Receiver - Add sensors and motor cooler fan!

Hi,

I have the new TQi system and I would like to add a cooler fan for the 775 motor and the temp and rpm sensors and I found there are only 2 slots - 1 V/T for temp + voltage and 1 RPM for the rpm sensor. Where should I connect my Castle Creation Cooler fan that currently is working only on the RPM slot ?

Receiver: http://traxxas.com/gallery/Accessori...raxxas-Link-5-

Cooler Fan: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXYVB4&P=8

RPM sensor: http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=9889

In the hot summer days the motor is getting so hot and I really need the cooler on it.
    Last edited by ScutuMix; 09-19-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Ports 3 to 5... I would stay away from connecting things on the RPM and V/T ports...

RC Racer
    All of the other ports (1 to 5 ) are already used from factory!

Last edited by danielhr77; 09-19-2012 at 04:21 PM.

RC Racer
    thanks Daniel,

I just bought one yesterday from my hobby shop and I was thinking to connect it in the RPM slot and put in Y the Cooler and the RPM sensor, it would be fine?

If I were you, use any other channel, the 5th for example... We don't have technical specs on that RPM port and until we do, it's better to stay away... I'll check my receiver today and see if I can figure something out..

RC Champion
    You could Y connect to a Y connect from the steering or throttle channels if you wish, no issues there.

RC Racer
    hmm, I understand! Than I'll let the RPM sensor connected alone into the RPM slot.
    I think in the ports 3-5 are connected the T-Lock and speed changer - gear box functions.

The steering and throttle are on channel 1 and 2 ?

RC Champion
    Yup! 1 & 2 are almost always, "steering & throttle" on all car receivers! =)

RC Racer
    hehe, thanks bud, I just bought this car last week so I'm still learning!

I'll try to connect the cooler in one of the 3-5 plugs, hopefully it will work

Do you know what should I do to make sure the receiver it would be water prof after all those open and close ?

RC Racer
    good news!! ... I installed the sensors and the cooler and everything works fine!!

Only one thing I don't understand, why the max speed is 25Mph even if is in low or high gear speed??
    I'm using 2 x LiPo Traxxas 7.4v 7600mAh and the max speed is the same even with 2 x NiMh Traxxas 8.4v 3000 mAh!

I was expecting the speed to be higher with the LiPo ones and more than +30Mph as is advertised on traxxas summit website!

RC Champion
    The lipo should not be FASTER, but last LONGER and give more PUNCH.

Two nimhs are 16.8v
    Two Lipos are 14.8v

Since motors work on volts = speed, lets do this quick thing with a 2000kv motor (means for every volt it will spin roughly 2000rpm):

2000 x 16.8 = 33,600rpm
    2000 x 14.8 = 29,600rpm

So as you can see the lipo is SLOWER at "normal" voltages. Don't forget that both batteries charge to a higher voltage than that, but the lipo will discharge much better than the nimh. Nimh batteries tend to start dying right away, where as lipos stay good right up until the end. So for a time the nimh might be faster, but that's only for the first few minutes, then it gets slower and slower and slower. The lipo will be however fast, and stay that fast for almost the entire run, until the end when it's basically dead. That's why people say lipos are faster in the Summit.

It's great news that the sensors all work fine with the fans etc.. good stuff!=)

RC Racer
    Oh, now I understand.

Do you know what is the minimum voltage for the LiPo ones to do not over discharge them? I can setup an alarm in the iPhone app but I don't know exactly what's the limit.

Do you know anything about upgrading the Pinion Gear for a higher speed? Currently is 14T and I was thinking to upgrade to 16T or more.

Thanks for your help

RC Champion
    I set mine to 3.2volts, some people say 3.3 some say 3.1 some say 2.9! But 3.2 is always safe! =)

I am at 14t, and have a 12t I haven't tried yet - $15! I haven't put a bigger one in yet so I'm not sure. Some people put 17/18 but they always say "careful it'll kill the motor" so... all I can say is, with my sensored brushless 2100kv setup I want to put a 17t to see how it goes, but I'll be paying very close attention to temps.

RC Racer
    3.2 volts is per cell? My batteries are 2Cell each! And the iphone app by default is recommending 6.5voltage as minimum! :|
    Currently my voltage sensor is connected to one battery and it's showing 7.4 volts when it's full charge.

It does make a big difference 1T at the pinion gear? I mean 14T vs 15T or 16T? How many Mph more at 16T? .. for example.
    The battery will die faster by using a 16T Pinion Gear?

I know you don't have those pinions installed on your car but what do you think?

RC Champion
    Yeah 3.2 per cell, so 6.5 would be 3.25 per cell. Slightly high - means 1 minute or so less driving, no biggy.

7.4 FULL is strange, it could be the software saying that it's, "as good as 7.4" because FULL charged should be 8.4 off the charger, and about 8 at resting/right after running for a few seconds.

The batteries will die faster with 16t because you are using more power to go faster, but not MUCH more power, barely noticeable imo.

In my mini e-revo the speed wasn't noticeable going from 20-24tooth, but from 18-32 was a HUGE difference. So a couple teeth will only make 3-5mph difference I'm thinking. For speed, you'd be better off getting a smaller SPUR gear, that's what will make the biggest difference I believe.

RC Racer
    You were right , the full charged LiPos are 8.4v and with the 7600Mah I can run about 1 hour.

Probably I'm not gonna change the gear because I don't wanna reduce the playing time just for few mph faster. I love the car as it is. In the future if I'll go with something faster, probably that's gonna be a brushless system

Thanks a lot for your help
    I see you're from Toronto, like me.. probably we can go out in a weekend.
    Search for my name on facebook: Scutu Mix

RC Champion
    Cool, glad the batteries are healthy!

Brushless isn't as bad as everyone says, you just need to have the right slipper clutch setting (there's no magic, you simply tighten or loosen a nut) and set what's called "PUNCH CONTROL" to maximum on the ESC, and the car will be much healthier than the stock 775 titan motor. AND you'll get more battery life!

I'll look you up on the facebook =)