Thread: whats The oil?

RC Qualifier

whats The oil?

Whats the stock shock oil for the e maxx shocks?

RC Champion
    I don't what the actual brand is, but it's 30 wt.

Traxxas brand.

I use LOSI oil, its one of the best on the market.

Brand usually dosnt matter but some brands (like losi) are very particular about their oil and you know that every bottle of 30wt will be exactly the same, where as some other brands are not as consistent.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-24-2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: post merge...please use the edit button.
    This parrot is NO MORE!!! This is an ex-parrot!!!

RC Qualifier
    ok thanks what do you guys run?

RC Qualifier
    I'm running 45wt with dual rate springs. I'd recommend going with a higher wt if you do any jumping.
    Mini Revo VXL 7107
    E-Maxx 3903 - He Lives!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I'm running the stock 30 weight oil because I'm too lazy to change it out to 40 or 45, which would be a great balance between too viscous and too much damping unless you're running on-road or see heavy jumping.

RC Competitor
    Since we're on topic of oil, say I want to change to a heavier oil...what do you guys do with the old stuff?

I use 32.5wt, But thats in the power strokes.
    I empty out old on kitchen roll then bin it.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC Qualifier
    From the research I put into this a few months ago it would seem that oil measured in " wt " doesnt really mean that much. It varies massively between manufacturers and it more of a reference for themselves rather than the retail side of things. " CST " is a true measurement. Personally I use 1000cst ( thicker than schumacher 100wt ) in the EMBE and in the Merv, they both see a lot of airtime. The crawler maxx uses 30cst.
    " TRX3922a doesnt snap " IT SHATTERS !!!

RC Qualifier
    What would you guys use for my driving style? I drive jumps, street, wheelies, grass, and dirt. I am thinking 45wt oil?

RC Champion
    Just like different brands of oil differ slightly in actual "wt"… Different brands of shocks have larger or smaller piston holes. Not to mention the quality and tolerances that the piston fits into the body (or the lack there of).

So the whole thing of what thickness oil should one run in any given shock really becomes subjective.

For example, I am still running the Team Blue Star shocks on my E Maxx. They came with two hole pistons and thats what I'm currently using. I have Losi 80wt oil in all 8 and I still slap the chassis from a mere 12" drop. Now, if I were to put that same oil in a higher quality shock, I'm willing to bet I'd get a much better damping effect.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the tip