Thread: Gyro Location

RC Champion

Gyro Location

My cheapie Gyro arrived. Where is a good location for it? Attached pic for reference. First timer with this new tech stuff.
    Thanks in advance

RC Racer
    Hard to see but how about on top of the receiver box or in front of the ESC?

The gyro needs to be in the rear as far as possible if you are using it for drifting.
    1997 White Mustang Cobra its not a RC!

RC Champion
    Yes, it is a drifter. Thanks for the tip. Is the Gyro orientation sensitive?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blown68ssrs View Post
    Yes, it is a drifter. Thanks for the tip. Is the Gyro orientation sensitive?

Thanks
    No its not. It recalibrates on startup, so do not move vehicle while its calibrating.

RC Racer
    I've seen gyros placed in the very center of drift cars, but is there any reason it would need to be in the very rear for this case?

I found a pic on the forums here (not mine)

The further you put it to the rear, the quicker it will sense the tail movement and react. Anywhere behind front wheels will work, just will need to adjust the sensitivity up more the further forward it is. Thus loosing adjustability the further forward it is mounted.

RC Champion
    Could u elaborate on the calibration process. Kids are excited to try.

Could u elaborate on the calibration process. Kids are excited to try.
    It calibrates its self automatically when turned on. Plus you didn't say which gyro you had!

RC Champion
    Good point. It is a GYC 300 bt E-tech.
    Two trim pots: set up and gain.

Good point. It is a GYC 300 bt E-tech.
    Two trim pots: set up and gain.

Gain is sensitivity, setup is used to setup servo travel limit. And that 1 I believe is "orientation sensitive" because only 1 servo control. But only 2 different ways it can go. While setting servo limits, listen for servo binding noise while swing rear of car left & right, then back off a little. Most of my gyro experience is in RC heli's.

You can check orientation before attaching. Just connect servo to then to rec, then move gyro L & R. If not moving steering correctly, turn 90* and try again.
    Last edited by Whitecobra; 01-09-2015 at 10:55 PM.

RC Champion
    Cool. Thanks for all the help. Waiting for the plastic dip to dry. Kids need to wait till tomorrow.
    Bug you one more. Could you recommend an ESC with drag brake? Preferably same foot print as the current one.
    We have the brushed 12T if needs to be. Will be running 3S's if they ever show up. This thing already has low gearing, posi rear and one way clutch.
    Thanks

I believe all ESC's have a drag break. There are non Traxxas ESC's that you can adjust the amount of drag. Traxxas ESC's are not adjustable! Someone else with more knowledge on different brands may be able to help there, or start another thread asking for ESC recommendations. I don't want to recommend something I haven't got experience with!

RC Champion
    Cool. thanks

RC Champion
    This little box is super cool. For this make and model, it is orientation specific and it fits in the blank servo plate just about perfect. Ended up cutting a recess.
    Thanks for all the help. Got my son's approval...
    Cheers.

RC Champion
    After everything is buttoned up.

RC Competitor
    Is the gyro working with your TQ transmitter?
    Where did you buy that gyro?

Grtz,

Degake

RC Champion
    It works awesome. I don't think it is radio dependent. I bought it off Ebay. Getting 4 more.

RC Competitor
    ...Will be running 3S's if they ever show up....
    According to the Traxxas tech line you can't run a 3S lipo on your brushed 12T, it's too much. You've probably found that out by now... this thread is a bit old.

RC Champion
    It's not brushed.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitecobra View Post
    The further you put it to the rear, the quicker it will sense the tail movement and react. Anywhere behind front wheels will work, just will need to adjust the sensitivity up more the further forward it is. Thus loosing adjustability the further forward it is mounted.
    That's completly untrue. All the gyro senses is rotation In degrees over time. Every part of the chassis rotates exactly the same number of degrees per second in every turn. The side to side movment of the rear in a drift is not sensed by the gyro any more than the forward motion of the car is... Where you put the in the car to back or side to side will have absolutely no effect on it.
    Dacaur

RC Champion
    If that's the only parameter it measures, it makes perfect sense.
    Come think about it. They could put an accelerometer to measure the lateral movement and compensate with different counter steer angle. Or am I out to lunch.
    Will it be too much like cars that parallel park by itself.

RC Qualifier
    old post I know, but I just ordered the same gyro....... how did it work out for you? Does it help keep the car straight? or does it have something to do with drifting? please help.

RC Champion
    It works great for drifting as well as keeping the car going straight on the low geared rally. For the 3.3 4 tec, I have to roll the throttle on slowly. Or it will hook.

RC Qualifier
    I have a 1/16 "mustang" running 45/31 gears 3s lipo. Thing screams but yes it hooks when ya really get her going. I also have slicks for it and as it is..... its just undriveable with the slicks LOL

I see in your picture you have it mounted vertically is that how its suposed to be? or is it suposed to lay flat?

Got the same gyro commin on the slow boat from china ($8 ebay) , pretty much planning on copying your mount system if it works well like that.

If I like it i'll probbaly get a few more for the rest of the fleet LOL

Were you able to find english directions? Cant be that hard...... has 2 knobs.... what do they do ? LOL Thanks!

RC Champion
    I run 12/55, tranny flip, 3s, center diff, one way front and slicks on the rally. It's great for drifting.
    For this particular gyro, vertical mount is the correct orientation. It didn't come with any directions. Another member on this forum gave me some tips.
    For the two settings, one is sensitivity and the other is servo travel for counter steer. I can't remember which is which. It's fairly straight forward.
    The two pots for adjustment are philip head but I found using a small flat blade works better.
    It didn't take much to set this one, more and likely due to the low gearing and surface it runs on.
    I had a hard time to set the ones on the 3.3 4tec and 2.5 nitro sport. Ended up unhooking them.
    Shoot me a PM after you receive yours if you have trouble setting it up.

RC Qualifier
    got mine installed and WOW what a diferance, speed runs with a 1/16 traxxas mustang. 31/45 gearing 3s battery.

I used to BARELY some times get to full throttle without loosing control, now I spend MOST of the time at full throttle. Gonna order 3 more. fantastic item

RC Champion
    Good to hear.