RC Qualifier

gearing. big block

got a gearing question. tried to install a castle 3800 with the summit motor mount and the motor casing hits the slipper clutch shaft. i wanted to do 20/45. but i think i need a larger pinion gear just to get everything to fit. any suggestions on a good ratio to use?

RC Qualifier
    No, I don't know but you should think about getting the tenbol mount.
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Slash 2WD
    Slash 1/16 VXL

RC Qualifier
    I've not used the traxxas BB mount, but I've got the tenbol mount and am running 16/45 and no mesh issues.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    got a gearing question. tried to install a castle 3800 with the summit motor mount and the motor casing hits the slipper clutch shaft. i wanted to do 20/45. but i think i need a larger pinion gear just to get everything to fit. any suggestions on a good ratio to use?
    With that being a lower RPM motor than the stock motor and having more torque you should be able to gear it up quite a bit. Give a 25 or 27 tooth pinion a try.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Do you have a bigger spur gear then a bigger pinion
    you could run 23/50 almost the same gearing. Kinda low though
    Last edited by 50togo; 10-13-2012 at 10:45 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I got a 28 tooth. Gonna go get a 50 & 55 pinion. 28/50?

RC Champion
    I got a 28 tooth. Gonna go get a 50 & 55 pinion. 28/50?
    28/45 should still be ok, I wouldn't bother with the 55 but having a 50 might be nice.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Qualifier
    Cool. I'll get a 50 , this the 28 in there and see what happens. That should eliminate the motor housing issue.

RC Champion
    Cool. I'll get a 50 , this the 28 in there and see what happens. That should eliminate the motor housing issue.
    The 28 should work nicely with the 3800 motor.

RC Competitor
    I run a 50t spur with 30t pinion with my tekin redline 10.5turn with traxxas big block mount theoretical topspeed 39.9mph but seeing how far my tires expand want to say more like 40-42mph an no issues with motor temps or esc temp.

RC Qualifier
    I run a 31/50 on 2s w/no heat issues on a sonic 5.0/6680kv
    Modded to the Max
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Qualifier
    so i did a 28/50. took it out, tore it up and it was fine. no heat issues. i did a full run on parallel 3s. only problem is i put steel shafts on the rear didn't get the front in yet. so i'll be replacing the rear diff tonight! the thing rips!