RC Champion

Unhappy Snapped prop shaft:(

I went on a great boat ride today on the 1:1 boat. We went probably about 50 miles down the bay with 40 other fast boats and ate lunch at this great little restaurant up a little river. The water was PERFECT for the Spartan, and I just happened to bring it with me. We were getting ready to put on a heck of a show for the 100+ people we came with that were all eating lunch as we ran the boat out into the river a little bit. As soon as I go to give it some real power, the prop shaft just snapped right off at the end of the strut and the stock prop, nut, drive dog, and that little piece of shaft went to the bottom. I was hoping the Spartan wouldn't need any upgrades or modifications as I get enough of that with my trucks. I guess I was wrong. What shaft should I upgrade to? Also, do aftermarket props make a big difference?
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    I went on a great boat ride today on the 1:1 boat. We went probably about 50 miles down the bay with 40 other fast boats and ate lunch at this great little restaurant up a little river. The water was PERFECT for the Spartan, and I just happened to bring it with me. We were getting ready to put on a heck of a show for the 100+ people we came with that were all eating lunch as we ran the boat out into the river a little bit. As soon as I go to give it some real power, the prop shaft just snapped right off at the end of the strut and the stock prop, nut, drive dog, and that little piece of shaft went to the bottom. I was hoping the Spartan wouldn't need any upgrades or modifications as I get enough of that with my trucks. I guess I was wrong. What shaft should I upgrade to? Also, do aftermarket props make a big difference?
    Kintec sells a upgraded strut and flex cable kit, grab a prather 215 also, its a good equivalent to the stock prop.

We were on the patuxent around solomons today in our 1:1

RC Qualifier
    Jeff Wohlt at rcraceboats.com makes a few different upgrade options for the spartan drive shaft.
    Hog

RC Champion
    Ok thanks guys. Is it a common thing to break the stock shaft? I will say that I ran it 4 times without greasing it, so could that have caused the problem?

RC Qualifier
    Not greasing the shaft may have contributed to the premature failure, it is a good idea to alweays perform the recommended maintenance.

Greasing the shaft every one or two runs ensures proper lubrication, but also provides an opportunity to inspect the drive shaft for any signs of damage.

That said, drive line failures are not uncommon, it is my opinion the stock drive shaft is marginally sized for a boat this large. It is OK with fully stock set up and running easy in smooth water conditions. But, if you upgrade components, go to a larger prop, run hard on and off the throttle, or run in rough water, you increase the probability of drive line problems.

I run a Jeff Wohlt .187 flex in one Spartan, and a Jeff Wohlt .078 piano wire drive in the other. Both have proven very reliable on modified components.

hog

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    Not greasing the shaft may have contributed to the premature failure, it is a good idea to alweays perform the recommended maintenance.

Greasing the shaft every one or two runs ensures proper lubrication, but also provides an opportunity to inspect the drive shaft for any signs of damage.

That said, drive line failures are not uncommon, it is my opinion the stock drive shaft is marginally sized for a boat this large. It is OK with fully stock set up and running easy in smooth water conditions. But, if you upgrade components, go to a larger prop, run hard on and off the throttle, or run in rough water, you increase the probability of drive line problems.

I run a Jeff Wohlt .187 flex in one Spartan, and a Jeff Wohlt .078 piano wire drive in the other. Both have proven very reliable on modified components.

hog
    I definitely learned my lesson and will clean, grease, and inspect everything after every day of running (never more than 2 sets of batteries because that's all I have at the moment). Does using a .187 flex like you mentioned require a different strut or anything? I don't know the size of the stock shaft. Will the Traxxas 5728 drive dog go on that shaft?

RC Qualifier
    No change to the strut required, jeff sets them up with Spartan ready stub shafts.

You will need to run without the liner in the stuffing tube, or do the stuffing tube upgrade that SJS and a few others have done.

You will need a new collet (5mm x .187) and a new prop nut. Jeff uses 10/32 threading instead of 4mm.

I would suggest trying the .078 wire drive. Both work well, but the wire drive has no spiral wind and I am observing less augering of the grease out the back of the stuffing tube with the wire drive.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 09-03-2012 at 04:09 PM.

RC Champion
    Ok thanks! I'm not familiar with the anatomy or RC boats so I have a couple more questions. The stuffing tube is the outer-most piece that surrounds the flex shaft... correct? And the liner goes inside the stuffing tube, but around the shaft? Then grease, then shaft? Is that all correct? Stuffing tube-liner-grease(hopefully)-shaft?

RC Qualifier
    correct
    hog

RC Champion
    And it's ok to run without the liner?

RC Qualifier
    Yes, Liners are helpful, they eliminate metal to metal contact, and teflon is a self lubricating material, so it reduces friction.

However many boats were run without liners back in the day. (our original SV27's had no liners, still running on original stuffing tube).

You need to be certain to lubricate regularly (i go every two runs). and you will be fine.

If you do wear out a stuffing tube they are inexpensive, and very easy to replace on the Spartan.

I run my daughters Spartan with the .187 and no liner, so far no problems.

hog

RC Champion
    Ok thank you! I'm glad this forum has people like you who know what they are talking about and are willing to help noobs like me! lol

RC Qualifier
    I only pass along my experience and opinion. All of us here share our experience, ideas, and opinions.

The hope is the collective experience and ideas will help others enjoy the sport, or stimulate the creative process to find your own unique solutions to problems, performance, etc.

hog

and it's fun

RC Racer
    hey hog whats the performance and maintenance difference between piano wire and flex cable?? I def gotta do something i dont wanna loose my prop n nut,lol.

RC Qualifier
    No difference in maintenance, grease every couple runs.

No noticible difference in performance, but because it is a solid wire rather than a wrapped cable I find the grease doesn't "auger" out the back as much.

Hog

RC Racer
    i like the sounds of that piano wire but does it being smaller od than stock require a smaller thicker liner cuz im thinking thered be to much gap inbetween n would let water in??

RC Qualifier
    it is possible for someone to put a pic of piano wire and flexcable to see the difference , because i got flex but never see the piano wire , sorry for the question !!
    Been running longer get you more fun longer !!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by t-maxxy View Post
    i like the sounds of that piano wire but does it being smaller od than stock require a smaller thicker liner cuz im thinking thered be to much gap inbetween n would let water in??
    No, run it with stock stuffing tube and liner, water won't come in, when the boat is moving you get a Venturi effect at the back of stuffing tube, and when the boat is stationary, water won't come in as long as the stuffing tube at the motor end is higher than the water level outside the boat. I.e. water won't flow up a straw.

RC Racer
    traxxas warranty is pretty kickazz, cuz i wrote a letter in box i sent esc out in explainging what happened as well as me telling them i was glad it blew when it did cuz warranty almost ended but also my next step was cap mod n shorten leads but that woulda voided my warranty, so i politely asked traxxas if they could shorten the leads to see if it helps so i dont have to mod it any more....and they did!!! Its leads are like an inch now compared to stock like four inches!! Gotta love traxxas....

RC Champion
    Wow. I guess I'll just send the shaft in because they aren't answering my e-mails.

RC Qualifier
    Wow. I guess I'll just send the shaft in because they aren't answering my e-mails.
    Most likely traxxas will not replace the shaft. I have asked this question on the phone, and they said no. Instead I put my money into a Jeff Wholt .187 setup with a 9/32 stuffing tube w/teflon liner mod that steps down to a 1/4'' stuffing tube at the end so you can insert it into the rubber grommet at the back of the boat. Like hog has mentioned the only other thing you will need other than the .187 shaft, the 9/32'' stuffing tube with liner, is a 10/32'' lock nut you can buy at ace hardware. There is a thread on how to do this upgraded shaft mod in this forum:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...187-flex-cable

Since then, it has run awesome and I havent looked back....bullet proof.
    Last edited by jetnfast; 09-08-2012 at 12:56 PM.

RC Racer
    Im now looking into getting jeff wohlts wire drive what all you need for that??

RC Champion
    Just to be sure... this is what my cart should look like?
    -Spartan Wire Drive 185

-Octura Collet Couplers: 5mm x 187

-Octura Prop Nut Item # nut1032

-Drive Dog Item # 5/16" Drive Dog

All of this will fit together and fit in the Spartan (minus liner)? And the shaft is 3/16" so any prop made for a 3/16'' shaft would work?

RC Qualifier
    As long as the .187 flex cable is the one specifically for the Spartan you should be good to go. It steps down to fit standard 3/16 props.

The octura couplers are good couplers, aeromarine couplers are, in my opinion, the best out there, but Jeff doesn't sell them, you would have to order from a different vendor.

Hog

RC Racer
    good call hog i just ordered from jeff wholt wire drive drive dog n prop nut, but instead order the am collet from kintec racing aswell as ec5 connectors n silver solder

RC Qualifier
    I also run an aeromarine collet on my boat and its been rock solid. Highly reccomend.

RC Qualifier
    Just a heads up, the aeromarine coupler is a tight fit in the Spartan tray, but it will fit and works well.
    Hog

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    Just a heads up, the aeromarine coupler is a tight fit in the Spartan tray, but it will fit and works well.
    Hog
    I have probably 1/8'' space between the coupler and the teflon liner. Not much wiggle room, but enough to make it work. I measured everything multiple times when installling my 9/32'' stuffing tube and shaft so I could get it right the first time.

RC Champion
    I ordered a bunch of good stuff. .187 shaft, drive dog, and prop nut from rcraceboat. Aeromarine collet, a glass filled 3 blade prop, two glass filled 2 blade props, and a balanced and sharpened metal 3 blade prop. Hopefully this will be a bulletproof setup as long as I maintain it.

RC Qualifier
    I ordered a bunch of good stuff. .187 shaft, drive dog, and prop nut from rcraceboat. Aeromarine collet, a glass filled 3 blade prop, two glass filled 2 blade props, and a balanced and sharpened metal 3 blade prop. Hopefully this will be a bulletproof setup as long as I maintain it.
    I would be cautious about using a 3 blade prop with this boat, stick to what works, a two blade Octura x442, prather S215, or stock. Anything else with the stock electronics might be pushing it.

Are you going to do the 9/32'' stuffing tube, or stick with the stock stuffing tube and run your .187 shaft without the liner?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jetnfast View Post
    I would be cautious about using a 3 blade prop with this boat, stick to what works, a two blade Octura x442, prather S215, or stock. Anything else with the stock electronics might be pushing it.

Are you going to do the 9/32'' stuffing tube, or stick with the stock stuffing tube and run your .187 shaft without the liner?
    I'm hoping the 3 blade will really help this boat because it's a surface drive. I'll be sure to keep an eye on temps and wear. I plan on running the stock stuffing tube with no liner.

RC Qualifier
    just snapped my shaft yesterday , first run since buying it , keep slipping so i tried tightening it as hard as possible .. when installing new one how far do you put the shaft into the collet? as deep as it will go or is there a certain distance like keeping the end close to tip of collet ? sorry for newb question and dont mean to jack this
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC Qualifier
    The stock shaft should be the correct length to allow a 2-3mm gap between the strut and drive dog, and still insert into the collet a reasonable amount.

It doesn't have to bottom out in the collet, but I would say 1/2 to 2/3 the length of the collet minimum.

Hog

RC Champion
    I have tried a Octura X440 3 blade prop and it did not perform as well as the X442 2 blade. I didn't do alot of testing with the 3 blade
    since the strut and trim tabs on the Spartan were set very good for the Octura X442 and I didn't want to mess things up at that time.

What size 3 blade prop did you purchase?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    I have tried a Octura X440 3 blade prop and it did not perform as well as the X442 2 blade. I didn't do alot of testing with the 3 blade
    since the strut and trim tabs on the Spartan were set very good for the Octura X442 and I didn't want to mess things up at that time.

What size 3 blade prop did you purchase?
    Assuming you're asking me... I just started a new thread with the full list of parts HERE.