Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Anyone made it to 100mph with a FLM rustler yet?

I was just curious because I'm in the process of building mine now and plan on breaking the 100mph barrier. I've searched the a few different times and found nothing conclusive that would lead me to believe it has been done. Hopefully I'm successful and can get a few "acceptable" videos showing my speedruns and gps.

RC Champion
    It's never been done to my knowledge. Only a very few people have broken the 100mph barrier. I have yet to break 45 lol. Also... something to think about. The holes in the FLM chassis will pack air under the body and lift it. I wouldn't run a body if I were you.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Qualifier
    I'm planning on running a body on it, and actually waiting for a piece of 0.30 lexan to come in the mail. I'm planning on painting something crazy on the bottom of it. I figured with it being thin enough I could just use the existing screw holes that holds the tranny case and the bulkhead on and it should work fine. Should also help save me from scratching the bottom of the chassis up. I'm surprised you haven't broke 45 yet with being able to analyze and point out something so quickly that took me a few weeks to even start thinking about,lol.
    Last edited by Baltim0re28; 09-11-2012 at 09:42 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltim0re28 View Post
    I'm planning on running a body on it, and actually waiting for a piece of 0.30 lexan to come in the mail. I'm planning on painting something crazy on the bottom of it. I figured with it being thin enough I could just use the existing screw holes that holds the tranny case and the bulkhead on and it should work fine. Should also help save me from scratching the bottom of the chassis up. I'm surprised you haven't broke 45 yet with being able to analyze and point out something so quickly that took me a few weeks to even start thinking about,lol.
    Good idea. The only reason I've thought about that is because I made my own chassis and experimented with integrated cooling ducts, venturis, and all sorts of other things. I decided it wasn't worth the trouble for just a street basher/mild speed runner and I would save my ideas for a future car that will be dedicated to nothing but straight line speeds... hopefully in excess of 150mph

RC Qualifier
    I've been thinking alot about the aerodynamics of it lately. I was also thinking about creating some sort of "air ducts" in the front of the car leading down towards the rear. Picture tubes about 3 times the diameter of a drinking straw installedwhere the headlights should be, leading through the car down towards the rear. In theory it should help.. In my eyes..lol. With a little tweaking it may work.

Install a roll bar and a lot of your parachuting problems will be gone.

If you run 3s you should get speeds in excess of 50mph pretty easily with 23/83 gearing. Getting over 60mph is my next hurdle.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

That spur/pinion is pretty gnarly. I see the spur is 38t, what size is the pinion?

What wheels are with those foams? I like 'em.

RC Qualifier
    That has 34/34 gearing on it at the moment. And I have 2 3s 5000mah 50c batteries that I'm gonna throw in there. I should be able to break 60mph by just looking at my transmitter. I haven't even ran it yet.
    Last edited by Baltim0re28; 09-11-2012 at 11:03 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Just regular Jaco foams.

Get a Bandit body!
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    Kinda almost feel that is cheating. I wanna see what I can do with a rustler body. Than maybe see what it does as a bandit.

A few years back before the MMM/2200 was out just about every speed Rusty on this forum was built with an FLM chassis. I dont know why you dont see so many of them now that the MMM/2200 is around and the horsepower to make it to 100 mph is available from just about every hobby shop.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    I'm hoping to be the first person to hit 100mph (with proof) using a flm rusty,lol. I was surprised myself that you don't see hardly ANY flm rustlers with the MMM/2200kv combo.

I'm hoping to be the first person to hit 100mph (with proof) using a flm rusty,lol. I was surprised myself that you don't see hardly ANY flm rustlers with the MMM/2200kv combo.
    I am not sure if you would or would not be the first with an FLM chassis. I know a member here named vxlrocket built more than a few FLM high speed Rustlers. If memory serves me he claimed he made it to 100+ mph but I dont think he ever posted any proof of it.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I am not sure if you would or would not be the first with an FLM chassis. I know a member here named vxlrocket built more than a few FLM high speed Rustlers. If memory serves me he claimed he made it to 100+ mph but I dont think he ever posted any proof of it.
    I'll have to read over his thread and see if I can find any info out. No proof = never happened tho...correct? I'm planning on making a non questionable video proving that it happened. I wanna say I've read parts of his threads and wasn't there questions of if his "rustler" was even a "rustler?" I'm by no means trying to bash him or say that he didn't do it. But I've always heard that if no video or proof was submitted than it never happened (under traxxas forum standards.)

RC Racer
    Are you guys kidding? I had to check the date on this post. 100mph is common for rustler's now using the 2200 or 2650 set up. There are videos everywhere. The new race is to 120mph. I'll give you one tip; stop using those jaco foams. XO-1 tires and/or alpha brushless/ black ones. Even the GRP tires. Check you tube, follow the formula. It's almost too easy to achieve now. Tip 2; try the FLM extended chasis! Good luck guys; and don't spend too much money LOL

RC Racer
    One more thing: Beautiful truck, great color scheme!!!

RC Qualifier
    All the aluminum on my truck came from a trade for a mmp. So wasnt that expensive. I am aware that 100mph has been accomplished numerous times with a rustler. Just never seen anything saying a "complete" flm rustler has done it. The jacos were sitting in my room not getting used so i threw them on this. Like i said, this may look finished or close to it but this was just thrown together in about 2 weeks from stuff i basically had sitting around the house after i made the trade for the flm parts. There is still alot of stuff i would like to do before i even think about running it. Hopefully after everything is finished and i put back together i can hit the 120 mark also....hopefully...maybe.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by chestnutjazz View Post
    One more thing: Beautiful truck, great color scheme!!!
    Ty. It may change a little tho..

RC Qualifier
    That's really quite a pretty little machine You are brave wanting to take it down the road at 100 MPH.

The paint is gorgeous!
    Last edited by cunawarit; 09-12-2012 at 10:19 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
    That's really quite a pretty little machine You are brave wanting to take it down the road at 100 MPH.

The pain is gorgeous!
    I appreciate the compliments and I don't PLAN on crashing, so everything should be ok..lol. I have to de-anodize a few things this weekend, order a few things and tweek it a little more than I'll probably take a few more pictures. Not sure how much I'll be able to spend on it this week tho considering it's my sons 8th birthday Friday. I'll try and keep this thread updated as I go along. Wasn't even planning on starting a thread, I just got bored the other day and was wondering If anyone else has done it..

RC Racer
    I'm sure you'll get break the barrier. I'm getting close, but as the weather gets colder and the air gets thicker, it seems I may have hit my plateau for the season at 111mph. I'm going to try a neu motor next season and a few other tricks; just too windy here now but I'm going to keep trying till the snow comes!!! Keep us all posted

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by chestnutjazz View Post
    I'm sure you'll get break the barrier. I'm getting close, but as the weather gets colder and the air gets thicker, it seems I may have hit my plateau for the season at 111mph. I'm going to try a neu motor next season and a few other tricks; just too windy here now but I'm going to keep trying till the snow comes!!! Keep us all posted
    Wind shouldn't be a factor... Just kill the sound on the video and drive the same direction as the wind,lol.

Your Rusty looks sick bro... Very nice. Btw...There have been more than a dozen to break 100mph, and dozens and dozens with the build basically dont, and ready to drive to break 100mph. There is a documentd 121mph, BUT with a body covering the wheels....

I love the way ur rusty looks man. Body looks great too.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Racer
    Abs: you're right; i think there is one truth a person touched on earlier in the thread: the faster you go, the less it is going to look like a rustler... b/c now it's a game a aerodynamics

RC Qualifier
    Wouldn't be surprised to see a few of the companies that make bodies for rc cars to come out with something specifically for this "application."

RC Qualifier
    Small update: got the lexan in and cut out so I can mount it on the bottom of the chassis.

Still waiting on the paint mask to come in and a few other things so I can get the bottom painted. Color scheme is still up in the air at this point, I'm thinking red and white with a little bit of black.. I just wanna thank absoloot for the countersunk washer idea, this wouldn't have worked any other way. I still have to take it apart and put the other ones on I just wanted to see how it looked.. hopefully the rest of my parts come in really soon so I can get this thing finished and on the road. Btw sorry about the picture quality..

RC Racer
    If you can do it, I would recommend good old red white and blue with an american flag on it for a paint scheme...
    1/10 Titan 775 bandit COMPLETED!!

RC Champion
    its coming along just fine bro. hey i wanted to ask, how's the installation of the flam chassis? like are there any imperfections i might experience?

RC Qualifier
    Ive noticed that when using anything from flm in conjunction with other companies products there is a little bit of a difference in sizes. Seems like they only want you to use ALL flm parts. If your going to be using just the chassis , i dont really feel like you will have a problem. The screw holes in the bottom where my hot racing tranny case attaches was a little bit off, so i just evenly tightened the screws. Had to tighten a little, move to the next one, tighten a little move to the next...... Other than that , no problems at all.. Btw your build looks great!!! I should have started a "build" thread instead of whatever the heck i created here,lol. I was anxious to just get some pictures out there tho. Anything else you need to know feel free to ask, if i can help id be glad to.

RC Champion
    Ive noticed that when using anything from flm in conjunction with other companies products there is a little bit of a difference in sizes. Seems like they only want you to use ALL flm parts. If your going to be using just the chassis , i dont really feel like you will have a problem. The screw holes in the bottom where my hot racing tranny case attaches was a little bit off, so i just evenly tightened the screws. Had to tighten a little, move to the next one, tighten a little move to the next...... Other than that , no problems at all.. Btw your build looks great!!! I should have started a "build" thread instead of whatever the heck i created here,lol. I was anxious to just get some pictures out there tho. Anything else you need to know feel free to ask, if i can help id be glad to.
    cool. yea i should be gettin my FLM chassis from ebay soon. i've just been scared to purchase it for $65 and happen to run across some installing issues. but thanks for the info man im definitely lookin forward to some vids of this thing flying!

RC Qualifier
    hahahaha@ the last part of your comment. I really hope that it doesnt decide to "fly!" Im debating if i want to fully take it apart and sand and polish all that aluminum to really make it shine or not. I have all the sandpaper and polish sitting at the house now. I already have to take it apart to locktite everything. Just not sure i want to put myself through all that punishment. lol.
    Last edited by Baltim0re28; 09-21-2012 at 12:56 PM.

RC Champion
    hahahaha@ the last part of your comment. I really hope that it doesnt decide to "fly!" Im debating if i want to fully take it apart and sand and polish all that aluminum to really make it shine or not. I have all the sandpaper and polish sitting at the house now. I already have to take it apart to locktite everything. Just not sure i want to put myself through all that punishment. lol.
    Do it. It's worth it. I wish I had polished my whole rig. I polished the trans case because it came first and I had it sitting in front of me for a week before anything else got delivered. I planned on polishing it all but I hurried through it to get it done and regret it.

RC Qualifier
    I want to, but after I do that it's gonna be hard for me to run it and watch it get all messed up. But just the thought of how good it would look makes me wanna try it. The only problem with the flm chassis is I'd have to sand it down first. I don't mean just polish it, I want a mirror finish...lol.

RC Qualifier
    I've been 117 with this car last summer. Although I have no vid to prove it,,,dang! This was a new build for me to with a 129-130 mph goal. These passes were test runs before i put my more powerfull combo in. Just got busy with other projects and never stepped it up. Maybe this fall i will re visit this. Flm chassis with other brand arms. MMM esc and 2200kv on 6s.

Bswift
    FASTEST "recorded/proven" JATO'S-3.3 AND Big block

RC Qualifier
    Sorry. Forgot most important pic. Lol.

Bswift
    FASTEST "recorded/proven" JATO'S-3.3 AND Big block

RC Qualifier
    That is one sweet ride you got there!!! If you don't mind me asking, what is on the bottom of the chassis? And correct me if I'm wrong...is that 4 batteries in the Second picture?
    Last edited by Baltim0re28; 09-22-2012 at 09:42 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Looks like my goal is 118mph now,lol.

Looks like my goal is 118mph now,lol.
    No disrespect to anyone intended, but your goal should be 1 mph faster than the highest posted video.

RC Champion
    117mph! wow!!! you must of had a runway to get that thing moving at that speed