RC Champion

Has anyone used the sealed diff fron flm?

I was gonna thicken my diff oil, but ive heard stock diffs leak. Is that true? Has anyone thicken theirs? Howd it affect the handling?
    Merv, Sl4sh, P4de, Embe, Slash
    2400/2200/4000kv

as far as i know the stock diff is "sealed" but even they leak just a little over time. they help handling alot though, i do know that. it does so because the stock diff fluid is so light that you corner and the inside tire gets the weight taken off of it and it tries to "diff out" which is when the inside wheel spins really fast and the outside tire that actually has traction just rolls for the most part. this results in you slowing down in corners significantly. diff fluid is cheaper than a new diff. so i say get the weight oil you want and a new seal and just try it in your stock diff first. you should still have enough oil that if you dont like it you can then order a different diff.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    some ppl put 50k, 80k to 100k and they all have good result. i just did it to my REVO-E diffs with 50k and its actually doing very well. if you think that you put to much oil, screw in 3 screws first so that the 4 hole act as a exit for overflow.
    humay has left the building, peace.

RC Champion
    Ok, thanks guys. Im going to try 50k since I have some here already.
    2400/2200/4000kv

RC Qualifier
    The stock diff, without modification, will pump 50k out in a single battery pack. 300k will stay in there for a little while. And don't bother with the FLM. I wore mine out in a matter of a few months. The holes in the diff case for the gear pins went completely oval, allowing deflection for the gears, which effectively ruined the case. $50 that doesn't even make a good paperweight.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the heads up. I thought I heard the stock doesnt seal well. So dr., whats best, grease or 300k?

I wonder if the proline diff from their trans will fit in the traxxas housing?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Fc2b7QodgRoALg
    Last edited by Dr.J; 09-11-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    2400/2200/4000kv

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I think I seen somewhere that a traxxas team driver was using 300,000 wt oil, and adjusting stiffness by using more or less oil in the diff cup. The reason that he was using only 300,000 wt, was that even after sealing it, the lower weights were still leaking out. I tried sealing 2 different diffs, and no matter what I did, it would leak out pretty quickly. The highest wt I used was 125,000, and it was too stiff when filling the diff fully.

Swami also offers a sealed diff. Don't know the quality though. Shame that the flm has issues. Dr I, is the warranty the same for the diff, as their other parts?
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The output bearings for the P-L diff are bigger, and will not fit the traxxas gearbox.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Champion
    Thanks for the info. I just put 50k in the diff and let it sit out about and hour. There was a little puddle where it sat. Like Dr.Iso said, after one run, i could see it getting pushed out.
    2400/2200/4000kv

I use 30,000 wt in my FLM sealed diff and the oil has stayed in so far this season. I began with 5,000 wt but that was much too thin and loose, almost like stock. The 30k seems to be staying in but I only used this for maybe 8 nights of racing... I'm not sure how many packs that translates into. Maybe 20 minutes of running time a night plus some practice days.

I also have the Swami diff and that's a $70 paperweight... looks like the FLM diff but does NOT seal... I stuffed that sucker with Bad Horsie diff grease and bash with it.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Well ur back on ur topic hey OG? im surprissed kwity isnt here. i likewise have my flm diff packed with 30k and it is amazing i have put maybe 8 hours run time on it and it has not leaked a single bit! the handeling is a hundred million times better and i am very happy with my invesment. DR. I if ur flm diff isnt a very good paper weight try using ur truck!
    Slash 2wd Vxl, ERBE; Crash N Learn

Quote Originally Posted by wmckay96 View Post
    Well ur back on ur topic hey OG? im surprissed kwity isnt here. i likewise have my flm diff packed with 30k and it is amazing i have put maybe 8 hours run time on it and it has not leaked a single bit! the handeling is a hundred million times better and i am very happy with my invesment. DR. I if ur flm diff isnt a very good paper weight try using ur truck!
    Lols mcKay.. kwitty will post as soon as he sees it.

I really like the FLM diff but I got it right before the proline transmission craze hit and thought I make a $50 misstep, but now the proline's need work...

So I'll stay with the FLM until something better comes along.

McKay, have you opened up the FLM to make changes? I wonder if breaking the seals open to change fluid is a weak spot in the design. I've only opened mine once.

RC Champion
    I have some special type of caulk used to fill holes in fiberglass boats Im using to see if I can seal the stock diff for now. Ill let yall know how that turns out.
    2400/2200/4000kv

RC Qualifier
    yes o.g. i have opend it up 4 times to check and make sure every thing was good the seals have places they fit and do not seem to open to much and always go back into place no problem. im thinking a better option might just be to get bad horsie to put into the stock diff.
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Lols mcKay.. kwitty will post as soon as he sees it.

I really like the FLM diff but I got it right before the proline transmission craze hit and thought I make a $50 misstep, but now the proline's need work...

So I'll stay with the FLM until something better comes along.

McKay, have you opened up the FLM to make changes? I wonder if breaking the seals open to change fluid is a weak spot in the design. I've only opened mine once.

Bad Horsie is some good stuff, but very thick. It really locks up the diff which I think is perfect for bashing but too much for racing on a dirt track.

Here are a few pics of mine during the installation:

RC Qualifier
    I see that the FLM case is now anodized. Mine must be older, because it's raw aluminum-- which would help explain why the holes went oval after only a short time of use. It's odd for an FLM product to go bad like that, in my experience. I have 2 of their gearboxes, one is about 3 years old, the other one is at least six. Still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Isotope View Post
    I see that the FLM case is now anodized. Mine must be older, because it's raw aluminum-- which would help explain why the holes went oval after only a short time of use. It's odd for an FLM product to go bad like that, in my experience. I have 2 of their gearboxes, one is about 3 years old, the other one is at least six. Still going strong.
    I've had the same experience with my FLM transmissions, I bought a used Slash with one already installed about 3-4 years ago.

I'll bet FLM will replace your worn parts of you notify them of the problem.

My diff came anodized, but when I ordered it, the catalog pics still showed them as being raw aluminum.

RC Qualifier
    my diff is also anodized about a year ago they started anodizing.

RC Racer
    With the pro line diff, is it possible to get a different size output bearing to fit in the stock case?

so whats the overall verdict on the flm diff? i see it has o-rigs unlike the stock diff (just opened mine up). the only reason i mentioned i thought it was sealed because i thought it was like the t-maxx sealed diff lol. never actually looked at pics or anything of it yet. so that was a mistake on my part. my bad on that lol. i ask now because i have half a tooth broken on my diff so i was wondering if i should just spend the $5 plus x amount on thicker lube or if i should spend the $45 or $50 on the flm diff + thicker lube? or should i just get a stock one for now, thicker lube, and save up for an flm diff one day? i also want there tranny case so i might just save and get both at the same time. but whats a good weight oil to use? i want it to be fairly heavy so it doesnt leak out of stock case, as well as heavy enough to almost act as a locker. i want it to move some when needed just not fast at all. i dont race or anything so sliding out on dirt isnt a huge deal for me.

i never messed with rc diffs yet lol
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    I used some 3m marine adhesive sealent 5200 from home depot to seal mine. It takes 7 days to cure, but works good. Just fill w ur wt diff oil, clean up outsides w soapy water, dry, and apply a thin coat around edges and screw holes. Its pretty thick and sticky, but easy to work w. Have alot of paper towels to keep from making a mess. I didnt worry about the area where the shafts come out. Much easier than the other method of sealing it. Just let it sit so it level while curing, and not in the sun, the wt will expand and push itself out.

Hey graves, ive heard of people using 300k wt and using the amount of it to vary its effect. They said it was thick enough to stay in, and using alittle will give more slip and using more will give less. I just used 50k w the sealant method above, and its working good so far. Without t sealant, 50k would get pushed out in 1 battery cycle. Ive been thru 3 and its holding strong. Ill have to keep yall updated to see how well its working, but its better now then before, and its cheap and easy to do.
    Last edited by Dr.J; 09-16-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    2400/2200/4000kv

I think I would save up and wait on the proline tranny to become reliable enough for us bashers to buy.

I do like my FLM diff and it works well, but at half the price of a proline tranny with an adjustable diff... I don't know if I'd buy another one.

The bad horsie diff grease at $10 is a good option for the stock diff and won't break the bank if you don't like the feel.