RC Enthusiast

I adapted a vxl3s to the mamba motor... it works

it works, but obviously it aint no monster anymore. I did it to get a waterproof esc for bashing in snow and damp conditions, not really any puddle bashing and swimming haha. anyway i was surprised to see that it still had enough power to pull a wheely and hold it for a few feet but what i really noticed was the lack of top end speed. i assume that is because of only the one battery (traxxas nimh 7cell) ? is that right?

also i have another question for ya... can you under supply a motor of voltage? all the specs give max voltage inputs so i assume anything under isnt going to hurt anything. is that right?

The temps of both the motor and esc surprisingly also stayed low. even after minutes of bashing around in the grass the esc and motor could easily be touched. (i have no way of taking actual temps, all i know is they were a lot lower than what the motor and esc gets in my slash 2wd)

and before i get anybody responding back with remarks like i am crazy... i know that already. I WAS NOT EXPECTING ANYTHING EVEN CLOSE TO THE ORIGINAL POWER OF THE MONSTER. basically i was just doing it to see if it worked.

RC Qualifier
    The motor won't really care much, the MMM is capable of much higher power input than the VXL system can provide so the motor will barely even get warm.

The ESC has potential to get toasted because the MMM is capable of drawing so much power but the NIMH batteries in your setup should limit that safely for the VXL. Running on a 2S lithium pack you might toast the ESC. However for waterproof run in snow you won't need full performance as there is nothing to grip.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i did try my vxl3s but not with the mamba 2200kv motor, instead i put the velineon 3500kv on my summit and gear it 14t/68t i was shock how well it run with my 3s lipo and temp stays cool too, it literally want to wheelie at half throttle.
    humay has left the building, peace.

RC Competitor
    Well if Traxxas's specs are true then I think the ESC should be fine

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by reflexsa View Post
    Well if Traxxas's specs are true then I think the ESC should be fine
    thats what i thought too... my thoughts were "how can the motor hurt the esc if the esc can only give the motor so much?" and then like what 65535 said the nimh isnt that powerful of a battery so even if you put the full potential of the battery through the esc it still is below the capable specs of the vxl.

Quote Originally Posted by donegotdirt View Post
    thats what i thought too... my thoughts were "how can the motor hurt the esc if the esc can only give the motor so much?".
    it's the other way around. the motor will draw the amount of amps it needs and the esc will be pushed past it's limits.

you'll find that the esc has sort of a "rev limiter" on any 4 pole motor. it won't go past a certain rpm and will just fluxuate there at a low to mid range rpm. This isn't good for the esc. it's not built for the kind of amps this motor can draw on dead starts. Many people have tried this and I've never heard of one lasting more than a few days.
    I race Associated, I bash Traxxas. 28 years in RC

RC Champion
    A cheap brushed motor could have been used at these crawling speeds and it would match with your vintage Nimh.

RC Competitor
    I'm skeptical of the rating of 200A continuous that Traxxas gives, however I'm using a 120A continuous controller with the Castle 2200kV and all seems well.

RC Qualifier
    Do you have any pics?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The VXL3S ESC has been known to have issues when geared up on a rustler or stampede. Its a great ESC IMO but only when used in its element. It wont live long in an ERBE with a 2200kv 1/8 motor. Its not meant for that and it will get overworked, over heated and eventually give up.