Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Mugs' Slash Ultimate

So about to order my Slash Ultimate. Like a little boy at Xmas and can hardly wait to seal the deal. Anything tips & or advice I need to know before I push the button?
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC Enthusiast
    Push play and enjoy. Watch the motor temps...
    slash 4x4 cc mamba max sct race pro 3800kv

RC Qualifier
    Order a KingHeadz motor mount now. And there bearing adapter for the slipper clutch. It will save you a lot of down time.

To be honest with you, I would order an Ultimate roller off eBay. That way you can upgrade the.motor and esc from the gate. If you go with the 2400 system from the start along with the Kings Headz motor mount and can't forget the Mip X-Duty axles. You would have a bullet proof truck out of the gate. Either way you are going to love the truck
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Racer
    +1 Ebay Roller. Buy the RPM Upgraded Roller on Ebay. It looks amazing. Just add a good motor from the beginning. You will then have one good looking Slash 4x4! You will also save money this way in the future.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Slas...item3cca46cb3f
    Last edited by ControlledWithRemote; 09-03-2012 at 09:28 PM.

RC Competitor
    Go get that Ultimate! Beware, the urge to modify will be irresistible!

Jeff
    Slash 4X4 SSC , T-MAXX, Revo and Bandit
    TQi, iPod

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Now my mind is again spinning with options If I went with the roller option, what motor & esc combo do you guys recommend. I saw 2 options on ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SLASH-4X4...item53edb9f8e6

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130717095...84.m1438.l2649

Any thoughts on the above?

Thanks.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugs View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Now my mind is again spinning with options If I went with the roller option, what motor & esc combo do you guys recommend. I saw 2 options on ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SLASH-4X4...item53edb9f8e6

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130717095...84.m1438.l2649

Any thoughts on the above?

Thanks.
    If you are planning on racing, check the ROAR site for legal ESC/motors. Lots of club tracks will let you run anything, but leagues won't. I just sent an email to Castle to find out if my Mamba Max Pro SC ESC and Nue-Castle 1410 motor is legal, it isn't listed on the ROAR 1/10 SC 4X4 list, but I don't think the ROAR online list gets updated reguraly.

Jeff
    Last edited by Chief409; 09-04-2012 at 02:33 AM.
    TQi, iPod

I'd go with option #1 mainly because you're getting the MMP with the deal. You will really like the MMP if you've never had one. A lot of the guys recommend that 2400kv motor.

If you get a castle esc, sidewinder or MMP, be sure to get the castle link to make setting changes with your pc or laptop.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    I was thinking option 2 as I can use my field programmer. Anyone have experience with this motor/esc combo?

RC Racer
    dont forget batteries for your remote lol. slash ultimate is by far the best 1/10 scale truck imo. takes a beating and keeps takeing beatings. have fun
    Slash Ultimate MMP 2400KV
    Grave Digger 30th Anniv

RC Enthusiast
    I was thinking option 2 as I can use my field programmer. Anyone have experience with this motor/esc combo?
    I have that combo and love it, the motor fan keeps the motor cool. I ran two 7 minute practice laps around our track and motor was only 120's geared 14 pinion and 54 spur. With the start power at low I can turn around and still pull small wheelies. Great combo in my book, and just my 2 cents. If you go with the smaller kv motors you will probably need beefed up shafts... enjoy what ever you purchase. O the smaller kv motors can geared to the moon and still run fairly cool unlike higher kv motors.
    slash 4x4 cc mamba max sct race pro 3800kv

RC Qualifier
    Okay, so have ordered a Slash 4x4 Pro Basher Roller off ebay. Just wanted to get some advice from the forum on what the "best" (and I know each to their own preferences) tires are to use on the track?
    Thanks.

RC Competitor
    Okay, so have ordered a Slash 4x4 Pro Basher Roller off ebay. Just wanted to get some advice from the forum on what the "best" (and I know each to their own preferences) tires are to use on the track?
    Thanks.
    Depends on your track, check with the local runners. At the local track I'll be running Bow Ties with the SSC LCG chassis to see how they do. Besides I already have a set of Bow Ties I didn't run when the Slash was a basher. Who knows, they might be the ticket.
    TQi, iPod

RC Racer
    I would go with the 2400kv motor. I have it and its great. You wont have to worry about overheating. Did you get the Pro Basher Roller with the Proline Trenchers or without tires? The Proline Trenchers are great for all terrain. Upload some pics once you get the stuff!

RC Qualifier
    Well yesterday was a good day in the Mugs household. Received my Upgraded Slash 4x4 Roller (Thanks Andrew).

Had to add a motor & esc combo, settled on the Ezyrun SC8 as it comes waterproof, 5 channel receiver, tires (went all purpose Kumho's for now, but have a set of Calipers on order) and Body (went with a JCConcepts Chev Silverado).

This is my first experience with a Slash as up to now have only had an EMaxx. Compared to that this seems so small

Anyway, cannot wait to get this running and post some vids. Watch this space!

Looking good mate...WOW , you finally got it. Can't wait to go bash this bad boy about.

Keep the posts, upgrades and mods coming...NICE!
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    Looks great!!! Ill be looking forward to the body!

I was thinking option 2 as I can use my field programmer.
    You can use the field programmer on any Castle esc.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    You can use the field programmer on any Castle esc.
    Thanks. Good to know.

RC Qualifier
    So fitted Shock Covers last night. Found these to serve me well on my EMaxx and keep the shocks working well for longer than without them.

RC Qualifier
    Have now also got around to painting and decaling my body. I don't know, maybe I am just biased, but I think it looks sweet!

RC Qualifier
    the body turned out great

RC Qualifier
    Where did you get the monster decals?
    Slash 4X4, MM 2200kv
    MIP CVD
    Tekno Bigbone

RC Racer
    This would be my guess.
    https://gear.monsterenergy.com/produ...cker-pack.html

I have the backpack, it's pretty nice! I'm saving tabs for the hoodie now.
    Sl4sh MM 2650kv
    Grave Digger Pede

RC Racer
    My LHS stocks many varieties of them. You can also get them at motorcycle shops since the kiddies like to adorn their bikes with anything monster.....I'm 50 and I like them too.

RC Qualifier
    Got the Decals off ebay.

RC Competitor
    where can i pick up a clear pinion/spur cover?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Yo Nadz View Post
    where can i pick up a clear pinion/spur cover?
    Numerous sellers on ebay offer up the 1/10 Slash 4x4 Clear Pinion/Spur Gear Cover.

Yeah man...looking good now; that colour came out a lot better than expected .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Okay, so finally got the internals of my Slash finished.

Here is the Motor Mounted and my Engine Thermometer attached to it:-

As the motor was longer than the stock, I had to "play" around with positioning the ESC, ended up making a plastic fixing plate to attach in position as shown on the photo:-

And there she is, along with my EMaxx Brushless Mugs' EMBE, ready to Rock 'n Roll.

RC Qualifier
    So after running my Slash for the first few times I noticed that one issue is the amount of dirt and stuff that gets deposited in the chassis from the wheels being "inside" the body as opposed to my EMaxx where the tires are "outside" the body. Since my Slash is not stock and I had to play around with positioning my ESC due to the length of the motor I chose, the aftermarket option of a top cover would not have worked and being Down Under I was worried about an Outwear Cover causing Temp issues. Therefore came up with my own solution!

Cut out some pieces of Clear Overhead Projector Plastic and Adhesive Velcro

Customised the Plastic Pieces

Applied other side of Adhesive Velcro to Chassis and attached Clear Plastic Guards

The covers came out alright...nice one mate .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    So put the Slash up against my mate's E-Slayer Short Course Truck on the weekend.

Here is how they compare visually.

Interestingly enough, we have exactly the same motor (Hobbywing 2,000kV), but the rest of the trucks are close to standard for their respective platforms. He has Mod 1 gearing and I have 0.8. Trucks are pretty evenly matched on speed, acceleration and handling. Makes for gr8 fun

RC Qualifier
    They make a set up that you use when using a big can motor. You have to buy the stampede reciever box, and you mount your receiver box where you mounted your custom esc mount (their are holes predrilled) and there are mounting plates made by several brands. Then you mount the esc with that plate in holes that are already drilled, and you are set! no custom rigs! by the way, i LOVE the guards.
    Racing in the Past, Present, and Future...MAYBE

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ImprovEverywherE View Post
    They make a set up that you use when using a big can motor. You have to buy the stampede reciever box, and you mount your receiver box where you mounted your custom esc mount (their are holes predrilled) and there are mounting plates made by several brands. Then you mount the esc with that plate in holes that are already drilled, and you are set! no custom rigs! by the way, i LOVE the guards.
    Thanks for the info. Interestingly, I actually toyed around with that mounting set-up, but when mounting the Stampede receiver box it seemed to interfere with the cable coming out of the steering servo and I could not get it to fit in without having to cut the receiver box. Was concerned about impacting the waterproof seal on the receiver box so ended up in configuration I have.

RC Qualifier
    Yes i ran into the same problem, i had to get a tall servo, so now the wire exits the servo higher than the stock one. but i have seen people use the stock one it just has to rest on the reciever box.
    Racing in the Past, Present, and Future...MAYBE

RC Enthusiast

old post, sorry

Old post, sorry
    Last edited by tmmonaco; 11-27-2012 at 10:30 AM.

RC Qualifier
    So here is a quick vid of the weekend's testing. Basically the 4th time I have taken it out for testing as I am still trying to dial in the gearing and handling etc. This test was with 2,000kV Hobbywing, 17/54 gearing, 3s and no sway bar kit.

RC Qualifier
    So next test of my Slash is complete. First time Bashing and testing Suspension Settings and general handling of the Truck over Jumps and stuff.

I was actually very impressed with the Slash after this test as I gave it a decent work out and it held up to the abuse very well as nothing broke. Maybe I am too used to my EMBE on 6s, Mugs' EMBE, but I would say that the only thing I would want to improve is the gearing to give myself some more power in reserve to be able to pull it back level when it starts to nose dive as on current 3s with 17/54 gearing I could not correct it too much in the air. But on the whole, I am satisfied

Here is a quick vid of my Bash Test Session.