RC Racer

Stripped wheel hex, now what?

I stripped a wheel hex today. Running the MIP driveshafts all around with the stock plastic hexes. Rounded off a wheel hex and the wheel doesn't look too good. Running desperado wheels with trenchers.

So now my question is which hexes should I get? I see some that replace the stock and clamp onto the shaft. Others recommend changing to 17mm hexes but that means a whole set of new wheels and probably tires too.

Only plan to run 2s in this truck with the stock vxl motor/esc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tbone

RC Racer
    Try some aluminum hexes, integy makes some but I hear their material sucks. There are other companies that make aluminum ones. I would start there before it get real expensive.

RC Racer
    I'm thinking trying the hexes first would be cheapest. I see a set of hexes is about $15 so worth a shot. Even the cost of hexes and a set of trenchers/wheels will be much less than switching to 17mm wheels all around.

Just need to find a good brand of aluminum hexes...

RC Racer
    you can get MIP hexes they are metal with set screw not pins but i think you could use pinscant check mine forgot my parts 200 miles away

RC Qualifier
    I'm impressed you stripped one on 2s! You sure they were bolted on tight?

RC Racer
    hpinumber1103362 thats the ones i have seem real good

RC Racer
    Yeah I found it funny too on 2s,
    I run 3s with no problems.

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=Tbone77;5277314]I stripped a wheel hex today. Running the MIP driveshafts all around with the stock plastic hexes. Rounded off a wheel hex and the wheel doesn't look too good. Running desperado wheels with trenchers.

So now my question is which hexes should I get? I see some that replace the stock and clamp onto the shaft. Others recommend changing to 17mm hexes but that means a whole set of new wheels and probably tires too.

If you have the capability you can repair what you have to work again, I repaired one by pinning the wheel to the hex. I used .062 piano wire for the pins, mark 4 equally spaced points around the wheel axle hole and drill through the rim into the hex but not all the way through the hex, keep your drilled holes locations under the flange of the axle nut. Cut your pins to the length needed and pin the hex to the rim...

RC Enthusiast
    if the hex and rim are stripped i used plastic adhesive on my t maxx and it worked great u can get it at home depot/lowes and stuff (glued the hex inside the tire were it goes then put the tire back on after an hour and ran fine still does)

i think this is what you mean but not sure if is hope it helps

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    aluminum hex helps a lot, and check your lock nuts before running.

I went with STRC hexes a few years ago and they've held up well on my 3s Sl2sh.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    Thanks for all the feedback.

Yup it stripped on 2s. I check my wheel nuts at each run as I read of them stripping and was hoping to prevent it.

The plastic hex is rounded off and the hex in the wheel is somewhat rounded. I did think about gluing the hex into the wheel but it's too rounded to bother trying. So now I will either get metal hexes or plastic ones and glue them into the wheels.

nmoney, which plastic adhesive did you use? Was thinking about using CA but plastic adhesive might be better.

I'll see what the LHS has this week, if they have metal ones I'll try them. If that doesn't hold up I'll try gluing a plastic hex into the wheel before I buy new wheels.

Tbone

RC Qualifier
    I just ordered a set of 17 mm hex adapters for the Stampede and a set of Revolver wheels. I figure that should make the hex thing bullet proof.

Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    I just ordered a set of 17 mm hex adapters for the Stampede and a set of Revolver wheels. I figure that should make the hex thing bullet proof.
    Just make sure you use blue loctite or they'll spin off into the stratosphere... or gutter. I never find the pieces when they fly off. Thankfully, AKA sells spare parts for their 17mm kits.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...