Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Racing slash

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    ok fine, then how come in torc racing (the off road championship) the people running out front personally say that they could do so because they had the proper shock setup? either way your wrong in all cases so why do you keep trying to say your not?
    Have you read all 50+ pages of the link?? NO.........The youth of today.......It's called educating yourself.. Try it. It just may work....Oh I'm so wrong............This is not TORC, this is R/C. The easy way out as usual.....Find me the quote from the "people running out front"......

Look I'm not trying to stir you guys pots, I'm trying to stir your mind. There's way more to setting-up a good truck vs. a "throw this oil and that spring" at it mentality, which, is the easy way out....Yes, you may get lucky and hit the sweet-spot, but it was only by luck, not skill....Now take 10 plus hours on your set-up (by reading aforementioned thread) and you will kill and make your competition look like fools, I kid you not.........it works. BUT it takes work and time.
    On my truck (STRC LCG) I had 15 different shock-position settings on the rear and 8 on the front (per-side) to choose from ,tower/arm. I also had 4-sets (rear), 3-sets (front) springs to choose from.....Add that combo up.....But you know what, I finally hit it (balance) after 4 hours, sore fingers and worn-out screws.......I think I'm spot-on on the oil, 35 Losi FT, 30 rear, how do I know if the effort so-far paid off??
    I went from being a 4th to 6th heater to a 2nd to 3rd. Almost got TQ and I have not messed with the links yet. I'm still loose.......Read and learn. I'm an old-stubbon fool too. Most of you guys were not even born when I had my first real R/C car....
    1978..... LaTrax Corvette.........Google it......it was a fast on cads too!!!!

Here's my grandchild.....Not too bad for an old-fart......Low, fast and lotsa droop!!!

Last edited by Old Ezra; 09-13-2012 at 01:04 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    ok fine, then how come in torc racing (the off road championship) the people running out front personally say that they could do so because they had the proper shock/spring setup for the track?

ill just leave it at that. im not going to bother arguing with you and your 26 posts that i guess made you know everything when you have multiple other people saying the same thing.

yes these other things matter as well that you are saying i wont deny that one bit, and im sure nobody else will either. but to say that shock oils, spring stiffness and anything to do with the shocks themselves have nothing to do with getting around a track faster you are dead wrong. and if you think so then how about you take a lap around a track with no shocks or springs even on your car and see how well it works out for you? you can post a video for us as well to prove that it did not affect anything what so ever. this is extreme yes but for example is the same as having to light of a spring and always bottoming out from anything. bottoming out slows you down. spring stiffness will matter even more for the size of the jumps. the bigger the jumps and rougher the landings the stiffer the springs you will need. and then shocks controls spring movement. so to light of oil and your car will be bouncing all over the place. to heavy of oil and your car cant absorb the landings like it should.

these statements i have just made are not opinions they are facts of many things including physics.

Wow so post-count equals experience????? LOL......Sorry there professor. You ever sat in a 1:1 SC anything?? Much less built one??? I have...........

whatever dude, im done argueing with you its pointless. i went to school for high performance. i just said that the things you are saying are not wrong but that spring and shock setup does matter as well.

and what did you just say? YOU PLAYED WITH THE SPRING AND SHOCK SETUP! read your own post man, like i said im not saying your wrong at all and never was from what you did say about link setup. all i said was that springs and oil make a difference and it must since your not running the stock setup even though you originally said that it made no difference at all!
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Spring rates and oil weights have everything to do with how an rc vehicle turns, Period. I speak from experience. I dont need to read 50 pages from a keyboard cowboy. I have experienced it first hand. I have improved lap times and agility to the point that my slash racer owns the track lap record for any sct chassis ever at my track. This past weekend, I had 19 laps under the old record (mine also). I race against a losi team driver, and a kyosho team driver kinda runs the spec side at my track. I have been complimented by both on how well I tune my truck. I did not get lucky. I learned what an oil weight change does to my handling and moved up and down with spring rates and oil weights to do so. Shock spring and oil tuning is not just for jumps. Saying that is ridiculous. No need for an argument Kenny, lol.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

i will say that the first part of the article about doing a drop test and finding a balanced front and rear spring rate is good though. then once you balance you can step up or down evenly with the entire truck as needed and adjust oil weight as necessary to compliment the spring choice. still trying to figure out how you would tune a duel stage spring setup exactly like on the powerstroke shock. my guess would be to tune it over just small bumps and whatnot for the soft long spring first then start hitting jumps to tune the little stiff spring? much knowledge is to be had from many different articles combined. i think it would be in everyones best interest if someone was to sit down and work with a couple people to make an in depth how to for suspension tuning with multiple parts like circle track section, as well as sc section. going through every little detail to include what different camber link lengths do as well as there position and a basic description of tire tread and compound. im not doing a whole lot so i think im going to work on this actually and probably shoot over a copy of it to multiple people both here on the forum and from my school. i will look through multiple articles in rc world, as well as looking through my steering and suspension books to get as much info as possible.
    Drag It!

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I think the little spring on the powerstrokes is the softer one... Could be wrong though.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I think the little spring on the powerstrokes is the softer one... Could be wrong though.
    either way you get the idea i was refering to lol.
    Drag It!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ezra View Post
    Read-on there you professionals-I know it's a lot to take-in........LOL...........you just might learn something. Pay the most attention to fredswain's posts....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ber-links.html
    Ok, I read some of that thread and there's plenty of good and bad info in there. The thing is, you just completely contradicted yourself from your initial post.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ezra View Post
    Shock-springs/oil weight have nothing to do with turning. Shocks are for the jumps and bumps, period. Toe, camber and upper-rod positioning are the keys to making turns. Tire selection also comes into play.
    I even read the posts by the guy you referenced and even he says plenty of times how shocks factor in with turning. There was mention of spring selection and ride height etc. in regards to 1:1 autocross racing. Last time I checked autocross didn't have jumps. My remark about oval racing was simply an example because you said yourself that "Shocks are for the bumps and jumps,period". Oval tracks tend to have no bumps or jumps, only turns. So by your initial post, there should be no need for shocks at all in that type of racing. Completely untrue. I hate to sound harsh, but you come back to this thread calling people know-it-alls and tell them to read your link, but honestly I think you would be the one to benefit the most from reading your own link. Plain and simple fact: Shocks are a huge factor in turning characteristics for pretty much anything on wheels.

One more thing. I see you getting defensive and posting links and saying some off-the-wall stuff, but not once did I see you actually give any setup advice for the OP. Maybe it's mixed in with all the nonsense, but I've already read more than I should have and didn't see anything helpful besides a link to someone else's advice, which you apparently had trouble comprehending if you're sticking by your initial statement.
    Last edited by harry697; 09-13-2012 at 07:50 PM.