RC Qualifier

Hot Racing Dirt Guard?

Does anyone have experience with these? Or can you point me to a quality version?

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...SLF16C06;c=480
    Slash 2WD, Slash 4WD, T-Rex 250
    It's only money!

RC Qualifier
    I have one on my slash lcg and I love it. What questions do you have about it? There are pics of it mounted on page 20 of the gallery thread.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ta2edphreak View Post
    I have one on my slash lcg and I love it. What questions do you have about it? There are pics of it mounted on page 20 of the gallery thread.
    Mainly how much heat it may add. I've seen a couple youtube videos saying that. I'm just curious how much?
    It's only money!

RC Racer
    I just got mine that I bought on *bay for $23.88 shipped. I plan on putting it on in the next couple days and will let you know if it heats things up. It seems to be pretty breathable and I like the quality of it.
    Last edited by olyguy; 01-26-2015 at 03:39 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I have one and I agree that it seems to be pretty breathable. The one thing I didn't like is that it fits pretty tight and there is no hole for the antenna tube. I cut a small slit for the tube to stick out and put clear silicone around the slit to keep it sealed.

I d been running in a sandy area that is almost like beach sand and the cover has been good about keeping the sand out as well as any water and snow that gets thrown under the body.

RC Qualifier
    I have that chassis shroud and I really like it. However, it definately hinders airflow and runs hotter than without. For this reason, I generally only run with the shroud on in the cool, rainy months. The reason I got it to begin with was to keep out all the wet pine needles that collect in the chassis, and that problem only happens when it's wet outside. During the summer all the debris is dry and I can clear it out by just turning the truck upside down and giving it a shake.

How much heat it adds depends on a lot of things. For one thing, if you're running on wet leaves or pine needles like I often do, the debris gets stuck to the mesh and further hinders air flow. If you can keep debris from covering the shroud you'll have less heat gain. You can probably negate the added heat altogether if you add fans for the motor & ESC, but I haven't tried it.

Sorry, that probably doesn't help you much.

RC Qualifier
    These mesh shrouds work best with active airflow, as it blocks passive flow, so it makes minimal difference to a fan cooled setup but a notable difference to a passive cooled one. Muck and debris can clog the mesh and prevent airflow all-together, but not especially more than having muck and debris all over your precious electronics...

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for all the input.

I want to keep dirt, pebbles and rocks out. The occasional puddle, but I'm not into the mud or water logging aspect.

Looking forward to what you have to say olyguy.
    Last edited by BigART71; 01-26-2015 at 05:06 PM.
    It's only money!

RC Qualifier
    Check out the Dustymotors brand, they seem to be everyone's preference I have one ordered but it comes from overseas near Germany and takes a while to get

RC Qualifier
    I saw that brand too. Looks good, a bit more than HR and not a double zipper. I'm curious on the quality between the two and if the Dusty one is more breathable it would be worth it for that alone.

I saw the Toyz branded shroud. Looks like there are 3 out there.. probably all basically the same I'm assuming.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-27-2015 at 08:24 AM. Reason: merge
    It's only money!

RC Qualifier
    The Toyz ones are Hot Racing.

I have a custom made one and have no heat issues at all. HOWEVER.... it is 25 degrees outside here, so I think i could wrap this thing in a wool jacket and still not have problems. I'll have to re-check with and without once summer hits.

They do keep cleaning to a minimum though. It keeps out 95% of the junk.
    Last edited by matts175; 01-26-2015 at 11:25 PM.
    Slash 4x4 LCG -CC 2650kv 3s
    Rustler -3900kv 2s

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BLachance75 View Post
    The Toyz ones are Hot Racing.
    The zippers are different. http://thetoyz.com/Traxxas/1-10-Rall...he-Toyz/17608/

Thetoyz is for the LCG chassis.

RC Qualifier
    I ended up ordering the dusty motors brand.
    It's only money!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BigART71 View Post
    I ended up ordering the dusty motors brand.
    I just got mine in the mail today, haven't installed it yet, took 2 weeks for it to be shipped to me, not bad I guess being that it came from Lithuania all the way to Tennessee lol
    Also make sure you get the right one the one for the lcg and hcg are different

RC Qualifier
    Get it on and take some pics!
    It's only money!

RC Qualifier
    Installed it last night, I will take some pics when I get home from work, stupid question: what's the easiest way to share pics on here, I'm computer literate just wish there was a way to add pics straight frome my iPhone

RC Qualifier
    If you have facebook, you can add them there. Right click, copy URL, then paste the url here. Instagram may work that way too.
    It's only money!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks will try to get some pics up tonight

RC Racer
    I'm not that impressed with the HR shroud. It does keep almost everything out of the chassis but the zippers don't seem to be great quality and it fits pretty tight. You have to make your own antenna hole too. It also heats things up a bit too. I may get a dusty motors shroud to see if I like it better.

RC Qualifier
    Please post back about the dusty motors shroud should you get one. I'd like to hear how the two differ. I agree that the zippers on the HR shroud aren't that great and I've recently had mine start binding up, probably from debris getting in the teeth.
    Regarding the antenna, I tuck it beneath the chassis brace and it keeps it out of the way of the shroud. Of course, that solution requires a chassis brace so only good for those that have one.

Just use a soldering iron tip and burn the antenna hole where you want.
    If you don't have a soldering iron, a nail, lighter, and pliers will do as well!

By the way, here's a picture of HR's LCG Chassis Dirt Guard Cover:

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...LCF16C06;c=805
    Slash 4X4 Platinum / Mini E-Revo VXL

RC Racer
    I did use a soldering iron to make the hole. I just figured it would already have one. Where did you guys order your Dusty Motors shrouds from?

RC Qualifier
    here she is installed, takes a little patience no biggie though, completely breathable same material used for pre filters for vehicle cold air intake filters. Got it from dusty motors off of eBay, be prepared for roughly a 2 week delivery time as they are located in Lithuania, plus side is they send you free shock socks

Side note: all electronics and power sources were disconnected or turned off prior to taking these pictures

Last edited by Fordbronco1995; 01-28-2015 at 09:44 PM.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the info. It's nice that they throw in shock socks too!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I got bad horsie shock socks for mine, dusty motors sends black ones though they seem like the same material

RC Competitor
    I got one of these covers but also have a complicating factor...
    My Slash LCG 4x4 has On Board Audio (OBA) up front. The shroud does not fit with OBA in its factory location. I was considering zip tying the OBA module to the front shock tower in an upright position and removing the OBA mounting plate.

Has anyone done a shroud installation with OBA and what was your work-around?

Also, it is unclear how best to fasten the Velcro around the side rails. There aren't enough notches provided in the Velcro side sections to securely fasten every inch. Did you cut your own notches, or Velcro around the protrusions, leaving gaps?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
    Also, it is unclear how best to fasten the Velcro around the side rails. There aren't enough notches provided in the Velcro side sections to securely fasten every inch. Did you cut your own notches, or Velcro around the protrusions, leaving gaps?
    go to a craft store, buy the velcro of your choice and cut your own pieces. as a bonus depending on what you get you might find the craft store velcro is better quality and adheres better to your truck.
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

RC Competitor
    I can vouch for the dusty motors shroud as well, its great, fits awesome and the shock socks they give you are a nice bonus. it also fits well enough you can adjust some spots for better airflow if needed and still keep just as much stuff out. Also can run open zipper for great airflow and still keep most stuff out.
    Sl4sh Lcg Mxl-6s 2650,Sl2sh Lcg VXL,Sl2sh ScT 3800

RC Enthusiast

Thumbs up

I'm pretty sure I'm getting the Hot Racing one for my birthday. Lot's of small pebbles that fill up the tray where I run. Hopefully this solves it. I'll report back.