RC poster

Question t-maxx 3.3 tuning & stalling problems

my t-maxx ive already done the breaking in process my truck stalls when I slow the truck down or stop, its spitting out excessive fuel out the muffler and takes too long to start... CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE....

Have you tried raising the idle stop screw or leaning out the LSN yet? Remove air filter and visually make sure operation of the brakes does not close the carburetor further. It is possible the throttle trim needs adjustment.

Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC poster
    I called traxxas and adjusted the throttle trim screw, the gap is alittle more then 1mm more like 1.3mm when I apply the brake it doesn't close but stays the same!!! the truck is at factory setting which include hsn-4 turns out from all the way in, lsn-1-3/4 turn from closed...the truck basically when I open it up then try to stop or slow down kills the engine!!!

Sounds like LSN might need to be leaned out. Try it 1/16 turn at a time.

RC poster
    thanks..hey whats the best setting to get these trucks to have a great top-end for wheelies!!! I know these trucks can do wheelies...

RC Competitor
    Lean is mean, too lean and u'll shorten the life of ur mill.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzaleader14 View Post
    thanks..hey whats the best setting to get these trucks to have a great top-end for wheelies!!! I know these trucks can do wheelies...
    The reason it doesn't wheely is the tune is off.

Whatever makes your particular engine run well, put 5 identical trucks in a line and all 5 will have the needles set differently.

My two 2.5 trucks that are almost identical have different tunes on them, but both run great.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    Yeah you just need to tune for performance. The link wildman posted is a great guide. Also, it's usually a good idea to replace glow plug after break-in.
    User manual is a great help also.
    everything being dif doesnt mean anythings changed

RC poster
    whats the best tuning setting to get the t-maxx 3.3 to do wheelies? I know the truck has the power to do so just wanting to learn from the experienced!!!!

RC Competitor
    Lean=performance=wheelies

whats the best tuning setting to get the t-maxx 3.3 to do wheelies? I know the truck has the power to do so just wanting to learn from the experienced!!!!
    Again, your answers have already been provided below. My carb setting will be different then your carb setting even if our trucks were lined up next to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    The reason it doesn't wheely is the tune is off.

Whatever makes your particular engine run well, put 5 identical trucks in a line and all 5 will have the needles set differently.

My two 2.5 trucks that are almost identical have different tunes on them, but both run great.
    The way to gain experience? Read below and then find an open parking lot and learn how to tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    The Super Derecho

+3 Your tune is off. Just a variance in temps like 5 degrees will change your tune.

With all due respect, sounds like you have just breezed over your owners manual. Factory settings are just to get you through break in and in the ball park of your tuning settings.

In general, the factory settings usually have the LSN on the lean side, many go directly for the Idle screw and the HSN. WRONG!!!!!.. You need to tune in a specific order.

No 2 engines are identicle, no 2 carbs are identicle. I have 2 engines that are built the same exact, guess what, their settings are different, there operating temps are not the same either... SO comparing notes isn't going to help.

If you run too long out of tune, I see a future of a split conrod posting.... This usually happens AFTER the operator has figured out their tune but the internal damage has already taken place.

1. Always tune with 1/2 a tank of fuel, these engines like to lean up as the fuel drops so when at 1/2 a ttank pretty much it's stable and easier to find a reference point.

2. Always tune with the lid on, that's how you drive it. That's how you should tune it.

3. Tune in small incremements, no more than 1/16th a turn on the LSN (when tuning the LSN), 1/8th a turn on the HSN.

4. In between each adjustment always do a Wide Open Throttle (WOT) pas to regulate the carb and the engine to the adjustment.

Temp gauges are to keep you from running under 200 and not over 270, your normal engine temps will be somewhere in between.

Now, if you want less hair pulling and more fun, read the tuning sticky AND your owners manual about the carburator, the mixtures and how to tune for performance, the link to the sticky will clarify a lot that is said in the owners manual...

DO this and you will have more posts like, how do I keep the wheels down, how to get better control.

Oh, and when you figure out this tuning, which is an acquired skill, don't forget about those things called brakes, many do. I myself know that mailbox posts have R/C tractor beams inside them!!!

Here's that link that was posted. https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...ul-Tuning-tips
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC poster
    thanks man sounds like a plan to me when I get some free time ill get the trucks out and see what I can learn from them put again thank you