RC poster

clicking noise when driving

Hi guys,

About two weeks ago my erevo started to do some clicking noise when driving, everything works fine but is annoying.

I was checking it out and it seems to come from the spur gear. To confirm, I removed the motor and then moved the revo back and forth and the clicking is gone.

I installed the motor again and tested it and the clicking comes back. So it seems that it only happens when the motor is engaged to the spur gear.

Also I noticed that the spur gear wobbles noticeably, it is not hitting anything but it does wobble.

any pointers on what could I do to trace and eliminate this noise?

thks

RC Champion
    How does the spur gear and pinion gear look? Any broken or rounded teeth? The gears should look pointed, but not rounded at the end. How is your slipper clutch? Loose or tight?
    1/10 ERBE

RC poster
    The gears look just fine didn't find rounded or broken teeth.

Slipper clutch mmmmhhhh well, I'm a newbie with this so don't even know what that is. Where do I find it and what should I check on it?

RC Enthusiast
    I'm a noob too and I noticed the same noise more then a few weeks ago before I had a horrific crash where the entire front bulk head was demolished. Upon taking everything apart, I noticed that the ring and pinion gear of the front differential was missing teeth. I did not take the actual differential apart which I should have known better given all the issues I have read about the diffs. It may have been caused by the accident but I noticed the clicking well before the accident and when I spun the gears it was the same clicking, I noticed the clicking went away when I was traveling at faster speeds. Hope this helps.

RC Enthusiast
    Went to change the rear different oil wt and come to find out the rear ring has a missing tooth but not the pinion. It will be interesting if that's what the clicking was for mine. The good news is the rear different gears are good. I replaced my ring and pinions with the hot racing ones to see if it helps any...

RC poster
    hey, thanks for the input.

I may be wrong but in my case, if it was the differential then when i removed the motor and move the revo by hand it would still do the clicking noise. However it only does it when the motor is installed.

sounds ok to you?

RC Enthusiast
    No worries just providing some feedback of what I know.

With the motor out, your also removing drag/pressure that the motor puts on the drive train. Try holding a piece of cardboard or something smooth to protect your fingers against the spur while you roll it back and forth with the motor out. May need a little drag to cause the clicking if it's in a diff or axle or something.

Could also just be a small stone or dirt in your spur or pinion.
    Expert rigging at it's best!