Thread: 90 mm or 120mm

RC Enthusiast

90 mm or 120mm

Group,

Looking to switch to the long travel. Looking to bash and run in tall grass and over logs and rocks.

Which is better 90 or 120?

Thanks

90, if you run the 120 you will need the Summit driveshaft's, for the extra suspension travel, or you will be braking more driveshaft.

The extra travel is nice for crawling, but to much body roll for bashing.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the information.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm alitle bit confused. There is the short travel (90mm) and Long travel (120mm), but then I see people talking about the rocker and P1,P2, and P3....what is that?

I just got the ERBE and it looks to have come with rockers that are LT.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by woogy12 View Post
    Group,

Looking to switch to the long travel. Looking to bash and run in tall grass and over logs and rocks.

Which is better 90 or 120?

Thanks
    Any brand new in the box from Traxxas 1/10 E-Revo will come with 90T rockers installed and 120T rockers in a package that you can install your self.

You do not need to use different driveshaft's to run the 120T rockers! How ever they will not last for ever.

I currently have the 120T rockers on my 1/10 with Summit wheels and the stock E-Revo driveshaft's with out any issues. That being said the Summit driveshafts are an upgrade over the E-Revo driveshafts.

Ultimately the best driveshaft setup seems to be some kind of hardened metal center driveshaft with Summit outer driveshafts. I am running the MIP center driveshaft and I will soon upgrade to the Summit outer driveshafts.

If you run metal outer driveshafts then you will be breaking diffs and axle carriers. If you use the stock Traxxas drive shafts it is fairly economical to just replace the plastic slider of the Summit driveshaft when it breaks rather then replacing all the other components. The Summit driveshaft's use metal stubs and a plastic shaft. The metal stubs are just as strong as the ones that come with MIP driveshafts. Basically you are using the plastic slider tube as the "failsafe" instead of transferring the wear and tear to other components of the drive line.

I just had to replace one of my driveshafts and it cost $13 that is cheaper and way easier then having to replace bearings and diff gears and bulk heads etc, etc.

I currently have the 120T rockers on my 1/10 with Summit wheels and the stock E-Revo driveshaft's with out any issues. That being said the Summit driveshafts are an upgrade over the E-Revo driveshafts.

Is that with a BL system or the Summit brushed setup?

I have the Revo stock drive shafts on SumRevo which is a Brushed Dewalt with locked diffs front and rear.
    They have done well, only because it is not a Brushless.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post

Is that with a BL system or the Summit brushed setup?

I have the Revo stock drive shafts on SumRevo which is a Brushed Dewalt with locked diffs front and rear.
    They have done well, only because it is not a Brushless.
    Yes I have the MM2 brushless system.

RC Enthusiast
    Oh yes that's right! You do have to install the spacers or buy the LT compatible push rods. Mine came with the spacers installed already so it totally slipped my mind.

Lunsford are aftermarket Titanium push rods, they are made specifically for P2 and LT rockers.

The stock push rods.

LT
    no spacers screwed all the way in

P2
    with spacers on each end screwed all the way to the spacers..

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    Lunsford are aftermarket Titanium push rods, they are made specifically for P2 and LT rockers.

The stock push rods.

LT
    no spacers screwed all the way in

P2
    with spacers on each end screwed all the way to the spacers..
    In all reality you do not really need the spacers to make the 120T rockers work. With out the spacers you just will have a lower stance, more like the E-Revo then the Summit. Also the wheels will travel further upward toward the body when the suspension is compressed. But this is due to the fact that they are closer to the body to start with because of the lower stance.

Basically the length of the push rod determines where the 2 end points of the suspension travel start and stop in relation to the body/chassis. The amount of travel remains constant no matter which length of push rod is used. It is the dimensions of the rocker arm that determines the amount of travel. The push rod length just determines where it starts from in terms of chassis/wheel ride height.

It will work with out the spacers. How well? Im not sure?

I have been contemplating using the 90T rockers with 112mm toe links as push rods. This will give me a little extra ride height but the suspension travel will be identical to the E-Revo out of the box. The only thing is that the front rockers are almost identical between the 90T and 120T. This setup then would cause my truck to have a more pronounced nose up attitude. So maybe I am better off using the 120T rockers and just using the push rods with out the spacers ???

Thanx for getting me thinking about this! I may have just solved my dilemma in my mind lol
    Last edited by MadOgre; 01-18-2016 at 05:12 AM.