RC poster

mini 'digger issues

I've upgraded "my son's" mini 'digger and have some questions about its performance / tuning.

Upgraded to Velineon 380 / VXL3m ESC. Off the start line it's sluggish. Top end seems fine but from a dead stop it defiinitely bogs down for a couple seconds before the power hits. I'm not well versed in gear ratios, but I'm running a 28t pinion (came on motor from lhs) and a 55t spur, which was stock on the mini digger. I'm also running 7.2v NiMH batteries. Haven't made the LiPo switch yet.

Also, the brakes. When i was running the stock motor/esc (before it went up in smoke) the digger would slide to a stop if you nailed the brakes. Now it takes a LOT longer for it to roll to a stop. I went through the TQI menu and braking % is most definitely set to 100%, and it's still far below what I feel it should be.

Yes, I've read the manuals. I also looked around online a bit and didn't find an answer to the specific question...though with 2 small kids here I'm sure that my search wasnt' as thorough as it could've been

Thanks for any advice/insight/constructive criticism you can offer.
    Last edited by irish972; 10-13-2012 at 10:34 AM.

RC Champion
    brushless has a cogging when slowly appling throttle trigger. majority of all velineons do that. no cure either. nothing wrong with it.
    plus slower breaking to help not overheat the esc.
    once you get use to those factors all else will work out. good luck, and have fun.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Qualifier
    I can see it coging some on that pinion. Especially if in grass. Dropping it down to even a 19t might help it gain some acceleration from a dead stop.

You will have some coging at lower speeds no matter what you do. It's normal with sensorless brushless systems.

RC poster
    Thanks for the info. For the most part the driving is on asphalt. I have the brushless in my Slash 4x4 and I guess I was expecting more towards that performance curve. Nasty hit off the bottom and will lock up the brakes if I want it to.

Will look into a smaller pinion, for sure.

Should the slipper clutch have been adjusted after going to the brushless? I didn't tweak anything after dropping it in.

There is something about the combination between a Traxxas radio and the stock ESC....
    change either and you will have excellent braking.

As long as the slipper slips when the drivetrain is bound up, the setting is fine.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Hello guys,
    I also upgraded my boy's Digger to brushless, I'm running a 16T pinion, and 55T spur, with training mode at 55%. It's plenty fast for him, and gives him more than 30 minutes run time with a parallel connector. The truck has NO overheating issues, even running more than 30 minutes at a time.

AB

RC poster
    well, I dropped the pinion from the 28t pinion to a 20t. Wow. The hit off the bottom is awesome again and braking is 100% better. Never realized what a difference a little gear could make

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by irish972 View Post
    well, I dropped the pinion from the 28t pinion to a 20t. Wow. The hit off the bottom is awesome again and braking is 100% better. Never realized what a difference a little gear could make
    I agree! With all the low end torque, I thought it was going to be too fast for him. The top speed is much lower, but I still had to limit the throttle to 50-60%. It still wheelies, and gets good air on jumps!