RC Competitor

lipo Charger batt combo

RC Champion
    I hear of people using that charger and liking it, but I dont own it myself. Same thing goes for the battery there used to be a lot of hype on here about GENS ACE LiPo. Personally I use the SPC LiPo 5400mah 3s (11.1v) Link Here. This LiPo is definitely well respected by a lot of the community and is a good value. Plus compared to Gens Ace it already comes pre-wired with the TRX connector and is from the United States
    Yes, I drive an electric converted Nitro Hawk.

RC Qualifier
    Well the reviews for the charger are like five stars and one four star review because it didn't come with a deans connecter

RC Qualifier
    2.2 amps charging rate is weak and in case you have nihm s you can't charge them. Good thing is you can discharge them. I would save for the onyx 235 .
    Traxxas Slash 2wd and Thunder Tiger Tomahawk Vx

RC Competitor
    So for the money it's a good charger. What makes the duratrax onyx 235 any better than the ac6 other than the charge rate.

RC Qualifier
    Ten battery memory , 8 amps charging capacity , nihm capable, nicd , life, lipo . I would save, you dont want to spend half the day at the track waiting for one battery to finish charging.

RC Qualifier
    Idk you can charge 4s at 7.8 amps max . Max mah capability is 9900 mah , for what battery will you be using it?
    Anyone got any othet honest opinions?

RC Qualifier
    I have a question? Which one is better 235 or 245? I can afford either one.

RC Qualifier
    245 you can charge two simultaneously. 5 amps max charge rate, 7500 mah capacity.

RC Qualifier
    And that battery has a 5 c charge rate, that's capable of 25 amps. Its going to take you about 3 hours to charge it since that charger's max capacity is 2.2 amps .

Correct me if i'm wrong guys.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by vchirinos View Post
    2.2 amps charging rate is weak and in case you have nihm s you can't charge them. Good thing is you can discharge them. I would save for the onyx 235 .
    Hey! I was gonna recommend that. Lol jk no it is my choice to. The user interface is also so easy to use and Duratrax makes a good product ONYX has been selling for a long time with many 2nd time buyers including myself.

Quote Originally Posted by vchirinos View Post
    And that battery has a 5 c charge rate, that's capable of 25 amps. Its going to take you about 3 hours to charge it since that charger's max capacity is 2.2 amps .

Correct me if i'm wrong guys.
    Well its been a long time since I have been doing Batt Math, but... I use this rule of thumb:

5000mAh battery = 5000 milli amps per hour

We can convert this from milli amps to amps (mA --> A)
    this is done by moving the decimal place 3 times to the left or dividing by 1000.
    it becomes:

5Ah batt = 5 amps per hour

So theoretically, if you completely drain this battery (NEVER DO) you can charge it at 5amps and in 1 hour it will be at fully capacity.

This is called a 1c charge rate-- in effect you are charging your battery at 1 times the charge rate.

If the battery is rated for a 2c charge rate (very RARE) you could technically charge the 5000mAh batt at 10amps be done in 30minutes and have a SAFE ready to run pack.

But if one wants the most effective life out of their LiPo I recommend balancing WHILE charging- which can take much longer because the charge rate goes very low

for example .1 amps

Now looking at the current rating of a pack (it is quite similar)

Our batt pack is a 3s LiPo 5000mAh rated at 30c (as stated earlier this is basically "current rating")

If we once again convert of 5000mAh to amps we get

5 amps per hour and multiply by the "c" rating of 30 we end up with

5 x 30= 150 amps

This means the motor/esc can draw 150amps from the battery pack somewhat continuously and NOT damage the LiPo cells

This amperage is pretty good; however, many batt packs exaggerate their current rating SO BE CAUTIOUS
    On the other hand a VXL usually draws a continuous amperage of around 100 amps so most LiPos are Safe.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by hurley747; 08-01-2012 at 11:11 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Ok I was looking at a venom 5000 mah 2s 25c

RC Champion
    Im not %100 sure about the reliability of Venom LiPos, maybe someone who has owned one can chime in.

RC Qualifier
    I saw in the pictures thread a couple people had them.

RC Competitor
    I will be using http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...se-direct.html I think this will be a good batt to start with

RC Qualifier
    Sorry if i steal the thread.
    What you think about this charger?:

http://traxxas.com/products/parts/ch...ipo2s3scharger

any suggestion?
    is good? or bad?
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

It better be better than the Venom version. A LHS owner informed me that those work for 2 weeks...then die.
    The 0.8-amp max. charge rate is pretty low for a main charger.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    It better be better than the Venom version. A LHS owner informed me that those work for 2 weeks...then die.
    The 0.8-amp max. charge rate is pretty low for a main charger.
    Ok thanks for the help
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Competitor
    I have a Venom Nimh battery and with my limited experience thus far...it does not meet expectations that a 9.6/5000 mah battery should compared to the OE Traxxas 8.4/3000. I get only 2-3 minutes more and a notch more speed from the 'bigger' battery. I won't buy Venom again.

RC Qualifier
    I have a Thunder AC680 not the ac6. Its nice, it charges a 2s 5000 mah pack in 50-60 minutes. It doesn't come with good leads for charging so you will need to purchase some trx male and female connections. I also have a Hyperion EOS 0606i, Its not fan cooled like the AC680 but it charges and balances the packs faster. I only bah so my opinion on lipo is not valid but ..I use Traxxas, Gensace and SPC lipos...they all work up to expectations. I would like to try a Hyperion Lipo.

On a side note the AC6 can charge at 5.0amps so you can charge a 500 mah lipo at 1c.
    Last edited by geeves; 08-02-2012 at 03:06 PM.