RC Qualifier

summit is here!!!!

Hi everyone, today my long wait has come to a end (summit arrived in the mail), i have sevral really stupid questions about it- due to me being a noob and not knowing anything about it.
    questions:
    1: do the lights always stay on or is there a way i can turn them off? (by switch or by remote- i will not unplug lights from the reciever) answered
    2: what are the two switches on the remote for? (solved, had to turn the page on the manuel..)
    3: which way is pointing on and off on the switches? (solved, had to turn the page on the manuel..)
    4: is it a common thing to have foam stuck to the wheels? answered

Thanks for your time, Kenny
    Last edited by i killed kenny; 07-30-2012 at 12:17 PM.

RC Qualifier
    1: Why would you turn the lights off? Battery drain is minimal.
    2&3: The red one: the hi/low switch. Down: hi. Up: low. The silver one: diff switch. All the way up: all unlocked. Middle setting; front locked. All the way down: all locked.
    4: Yeah, it will fall off.

Ps: nice name.
    This is a signature.

RC Qualifier
    thanks for the answers man, and thanks on that ps lol

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    I would also like to suggest a little prep checkout(if you've been reading the threads).

Look and listen to the steering servos, in case they're "fighting". It's a simple adjustment that's well worth it.

Also, remove the body, then actuate the shift and locking servos. Look for proper travel and ease of movement. A few of us have lost mister shifting servo within a couple of weeks play. Appears to be a slight adjustment issue.

There are "how to's" floating around if you do find an issue.

Welcome to the club. Happy trails

The Kid
    Last edited by Mayberry Kid; 07-30-2012 at 12:26 PM.
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Qualifier
    just took the summit for its second run (i must say the thing is a beast), i have a new set of questions for you guys

1:the summit differentials are making a high pitched noise (not like a whistle, its a little lower), i think something is binding from allowing the differentials to lock and unlock all the way

2: if something is binding, how would i fix it?

RC Qualifier
    1. Make sure you come to a dead stop before shifting, sounds like they are not getting totally set. Sometimes after shift a little forward/reverse and will hear a click and they fully lock. Make sure your shifting rods are not binding.

2. If binding try to figure out why (wires) and move or correct. Is the best thing to tell you or post. Make sure rods are not bent and servo's are getting full motion.

RC Qualifier
    i think its binding inside of the servo, i put my finger on top of the servo and i could feel that something inside was moving or attempting to move, but nothing was happening on the outside

RC Qualifier
    just took off all the stuff off the servo, then reinstalled it to make sure nothing was binding, it shifts smoothly now, but it still makes a high pitched noise

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    ikkenny,

Is it making this "high pitched noise" when at a standstill? If so, you still have a servo somewhere on your Summit that is "not happy". Servos squeal or growl when they are being told to go to a certain position by the receiver and for some reason they cannot get there. If this continues, they will eventually get hot and fail.
    The servo may be hitting the end of travel for the arm that it is moving(like the shifting servo), or it may be fighting itself or another servo while trying to get to a certain position(like the dual stearing servos).

One of the normal "high pitched noise" that you hear is the speed control/motor as you apply throttle. This one is due to the nature of the speed control function. This noise will vary in tone with the throttle position.

Another "high pitched noise" could be your slipper clutch "slipping". This can occur when your Summit is "loaded", but usually happen when something is bound(wedged into something and can't move for example).

These may sound dumb, but it will help us determine the source of the noise is normal, or more importantly, if it's something that needs to be adjusted before a failure.

The Kid
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Qualifier
    its the left micro server, i know this because i took that bar off of the top, turned on the truck and it was no longer making the noise, i dont know if it was working against something else, or a gear or something is messed up on the inside, but i know that for sure its the left micro server

RC Qualifier
    When it shifts does the rod flex a lot? if so it's binding some place. Could be a bad servo as well, might be time to give Traxxas CS a call.
    Last edited by Edstoys; 07-30-2012 at 05:22 PM.

RC Qualifier
    the bar doesn't move and its the front T-Lock servo

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like a bad servo and time to call Traxxas CS. Am sure you did check to make sure it is not pinched under the clip at the front body mount.

RC Qualifier
    what do you mean? i checked to make sure nothing was blocking the little metal bar

RC Qualifier
    pretty mad right now, the traxxas support people keep hanging up on me. but at least i know that i do need a new servo... -.-