RC poster

Really need your help. Car wont track straight after crash :(

Just crashed my XO-1, and at first it didn't look like a huge issue. Just broken sideguard and front spiltter.
    However after I rebuild it, I can get it to drive like it did. Before I could drive it straight as an arrow Down a 3,5 meter wide road. Now I can hardly control it at 3 cells.

I have readjusted camber and toe-in to what it was before, but my main issue seems to be when I let go of the throttle. Then it draws left. I also seems it wants to drag to a side when I accelerate, but not as much as when I deaccelerate.

There is no slop in my steering, and I tried to change the servo, and bypass the gyro without luck.

Any advice or idea are very welcome!

TIA

Wrecked

Here is what happened. (in the end of the video)
    Last edited by Double G; 04-17-2014 at 10:10 AM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    Check your bearings and wheels/tires.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Racer
    have any aluminum on the car? check all that

RC Champion
    Also check suspension parts for anything bent or broken.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys. Really appreciate it!

I checked all the steering again, and no breaks anywhere. I have alu steering blocks and alu draglink (no servosaver), and Im sure there are no slop in the steering. Rest of the car is stock.

I took apart the rear-end also, and notice some slop in the rear bulkhead. Not much, but I dont remember if there were any before the crash. No slop in the rear arms, just the bulkhead. Are yours slopfree?

That pretty much the only (slightly suspect) thing I can find on the car. I really have no clue to whats going on

All bearings and wheels checked out OK btw.

Oh btw, Im RevoLuvr, just writing from another computer.
    Last edited by Double G; 04-17-2014 at 10:10 AM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    Video:

RC Champion
    You check all suspension pins?

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Enthusiast
    All pins looks ok. Nothing broken and no slop. Got an opinion about the rear bulkhead?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
    All pins looks ok. Nothing broken and no slop. Got an opinion about the rear bulkhead?
    I would pull the pins out and check them. Sometimes you can't tell they're bent until you remove them. Not sure I understand what you're asking about the rear bulkhead.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Enthusiast
    I did pull the pins and when I insert them into the bulkhead, it feels like there is a lot of play. Did you see my video of the rear bulkhead slop further up the thread?

RC Champion
    I think the pins usually fit a little more snug than that. I'd have to double check mine. They may have opened up a little from the crash.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    That video is a little deceiving. It does not show an accurate amount of slop because the aluminum piece is absent. When this piece is on it will reduce the slop. Still too much in my opinion but not nearly as bad as in the video.
    The Annihilator....fastest XO-1 on planet Earth.

RC Qualifier
    Have you tried running the car off the ground and letting off the throttle to see what the wheels are doing when you let off the throttle? Might want to pull apart the front end of the car and make sure there aren't any hidden cracks in the plastics, especially on and around the front bulkhead.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Enthusiast
    @TSOS, yes, you are right. The alu piece fixes one end and makes the slop less. However, the slop in the end of the rear arm is about 1 cm, which I think is too much. Im going to drill 4mm holes, and put 4mm hinge pins in instead. Hopefully that should remove any slop there.

@Bringit, yes, currently my car is in pieces, and every part has been inspected. Besides the rear bulkhead, I only found one read axle that looked to be a bit bend, so the wheel bounces a bit. Don't think this is the course though.

BTW. It was a really bad drag to the left, not just a slight pull. I crashed twice while troubleshooting it on only 3cells. One time I ended up in my neighbours lawn, and the other time in the sidecurb. I really don't understand a problem this bad, isn't more obvious...

RC Competitor
    If your car pulls to the right for example you need to adjust the toe-in from 1 of your front wheels a little to the left ,if you have this done your car will track straight even if its a stock xo-1 like mine

RC Enthusiast
    Luuk, I dont think you understand. When I accelerate it drives straight, and when I let go of the trottle it draws left. If I adjust toe in like you suggest, it will not drive straight while I accelerate.

However, I changed my hinge pins to 4mm and removed all slop from the rear bulkhead, and Im pretty sure that fixed the problem. Just need to test it with high speed.

RC Competitor
    If thats your problem you should check your front springs or they are adjusted exactly at the same stiffness so your car dont lean to one side while hard braking because the car will always track to the side with the softest spring