RC poster

New Merv owner here!

Hey everyone!

So I have been out of the R/C game for about 5 years now. Ever since I started college I didnt have the time or funds to participate. I have owned nearly 20 different vehicles from the rustlers to revos and many non traxxas r/c's, but I sold them all before college. Well long story short, I graduated, and just purchased a Merv, which should arrive tomorrow.

I have been reading and prepping myself through these forums now and find many threads helpful. I do plan on modding the Merv soon and wanted some suggestions. Whats first? I know there isn't a TON of options for wheels, tires, shocks...etc...but what does everyone wish they bought first? Back when I was big into this 5 years ago, RPM was huge and everyone encouraged their protection on their vehicles. This still the same?

Anyways, I plan on being here daily, so I'd love to start learning.

RC Qualifier
    Last edited by chilidillo; 07-25-2012 at 01:36 PM.
    Merv: Neu, MMP

RC Qualifier
    First is bearing carriers. You only have a few runs. I do not recommend RPM for those, they pop out. Go aluminum.
    Second is the servo. Bluebird 390 is a direct drop in, and there is a hitec almost direct drop in that only requires servo horn swap.
    Third is toelinks. Its very easy to curb a fast RC that does not hold a line.

Those are what I have found to be essential, I own a Slash and read the forums every day.

Also, if you increase the rotating mass of your wheels, the drivetrain will wear a lot faster.

RC Qualifier
    RPM arms all around
    Aluminum Knuckles
    Push and toe rods.
    ERBE, MERV BB

RC Qualifier
    Just a question, why would you get RPM a-arms before you break the stockers? I see people do that all the time and its just so strange to me?

RC poster
    Good advice everyone, thanks! Cipher_Jones, that was my question too. I am considering RPM arms, but i wanted to wait until i broke my stocks because theres really no benefit besides the fact they are tougher.

I have heard pros and cons on the Integy Piggy Backs...anyone? I love the look but ive heard the performance slacks.

RC Qualifier
    well you might as well order some rpm arms right away. i broke three stock arms while i waited a week for mine....lol...

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by brettdiamond89 View Post
    Good advice everyone, thanks! Cipher_Jones, that was my question too. I am considering RPM arms, but i wanted to wait until i broke my stocks because theres really no benefit besides the fact they are tougher.

I have heard pros and cons on the Integy Piggy Backs...anyone? I love the look but ive heard the performance slacks.
    I've run the 1/10 scale Integy Piggy Backs. They were good at first then started leaking. I'd pass on them. I just put the Traxxas GTR shocks in my boy's MERV. They seem to be great so far.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC poster
    That's no fun! Anyone run aluminum arms such as Integy. Back in the Day, aluminum was huge with emaxx's. A company called Bombproof Products was HUGE back in the day for emaxx's and tmaxx lexan and aluminum.

BomberSTi - Are you from Naples, or is Naptown the actual city name? Naptown is a nick name for Naples, Florida, so just curious.