RC Enthusiast

Which Charger & Battery Lipo for Traxxas E-revo 5608?

Hi All
    I'm interested in Traxxas E-revo 5608, so research some charger, Lipo Battery & parts...
    For Charger:
    I'm considering to choose either charger as below:
    Pls advise me which charger for Lipo 3S1P 11.1V 5000mah?

No1 http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html
    No2 http://www.hobbypartz.com/skychb6chdup.html

Price I think is same, so More power, more durability is high recommend. As I know, AC680 is 80W & Sky B6AC 50W, so I prefer AC680.

For Lipo Battery 3S1P 11.1V 5000mah
    Gens Ace or Sky recommend to buy if same spec?
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...se-direct.html
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl5000...-hardcase.html

Any Traxxas connector need for charging?

For Parts:
    Any Starter kit for spare such as: Tire, lubricant .....??? send me link & images for easy understand.

Thanks for suggesion

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Non of those links go to the exact product. They just take you to hobbypartz main page. At least for me they do.

But what I will tell you is the same thing I tell everyone else. There IS a BIG difference in quality and performance of cheap lipos and chargers VS even the slightly more expensive ones from well respected brands. MANY will argue that an AC680 is everything they've ever needed in a charger and more. Man, not all, but many of those people have never tried anything else. I think over the last 4 years I've owned more than a dozen different chargers and charging setups from the Thunder AC6, all the way up to a 40 amp Power Lab 6. The difference between the cheap ones and the quality ones is night and day.

Same goes for lipos. What your looking at buying are packs with exaggerated C ratings and lower quality materials. They will give you less performance and fewer cycles than quality packs. Lucky for you, the next step up isnt THAT much more expensive.

You can pick up a pair of SPC 2S 5000mah lipos (25C I believe, but a REAL 25C) for like $30 each. Best value for the money IMO. You can pick up a charger like a Dynamite Passport or something similar for around $100, or step up to a passport ultra or something like the Thunder Power TP610C for around $130. The charger is the key though. A cheap charger has a much higher likely hood of over charging your packs and/or having false cell voltage read outs which can cause problems over time. They don't control balancing in an efficient manner so it often takes longer than it should. My experience is that you always get what you pay for. When it comes to chargers and batteries, do yourself a favour and save up a bit more for a system that you'll be happy with and that will last for MANY years.

RC poster
    DuraTrax Onyx 245 AC/DC Dual Charger w/Balancing DTXP4245

Been using the above charget for awhile now and it performs great. Plus it charges two batteries at once. Its loud which is my only complaint.
    Last edited by jwolf7722; 07-23-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Non of those links go to the exact product. They just take you to hobbypartz main page. At least for me they do.

But what I will tell you is the same thing I tell everyone else. There IS a BIG difference in quality and performance of cheap lipos and chargers VS even the slightly more expensive ones from well respected brands. MANY will argue that an AC680 is everything they've ever needed in a charger and more. Man, not all, but many of those people have never tried anything else. I think over the last 4 years I've owned more than a dozen different chargers and charging setups from the Thunder AC6, all the way up to a 40 amp Power Lab 6. The difference between the cheap ones and the quality ones is night and day.

Same goes for lipos. What your looking at buying are packs with exaggerated C ratings and lower quality materials. They will give you less performance and fewer cycles than quality packs. Lucky for you, the next step up isnt THAT much more expensive.

You can pick up a pair of SPC 2S 5000mah lipos (25C I believe, but a REAL 25C) for like $30 each. Best value for the money IMO. You can pick up a charger like a Dynamite Passport or something similar for around $100, or step up to a passport ultra or something like the Thunder Power TP610C for around $130. The charger is the key though. A cheap charger has a much higher likely hood of over charging your packs and/or having false cell voltage read outs which can cause problems over time. They don't control balancing in an efficient manner so it often takes longer than it should. My experience is that you always get what you pay for. When it comes to chargers and batteries, do yourself a favour and save up a bit more for a system that you'll be happy with and that will last for MANY years.
    I have to agree with you on this pave, i found out my ac6 was over charging my lipos by as much as .04-.05 which is not good at all. i like the amps the dynamite puts out at 10amps and its ac which is a plus but when you want to charge 2 2s lipos at 8amps does it charge it right w/ the proper equipment of course i got info from you on? i perfer the icharger 206b for the fact you have 20amps charge and 20amps discharge and is a great charger just needs a psu for it but not bad if you look at the price of the dynatmite at 130+tax+shipping if needed and the icharger for 180 shipped with so much more features and power
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Enthusiast
    I was actually going to get on here and basically ask the same question only a little different.

What do you all think about the Traxxas charger and the traxxas batteries? We are getting my dad the E-Revo Brushless for his anniversary and I am trying to figure out what charger and Lipos to get.

I have never messed with Lipos before so I am trying to figure out what we need. I was thinking of just getting the Traxxas E-Z peak plus charger (I am assuming that the balancer is built in? Am I correct?) with the traxxas 3s 5000mah lipos. Is anyone against that idea? We are looking to order this is the next couple of days so any help would be great.

Start with 2/2s.....

This is a good start..
    Just don't buy no name Ebay batts...

MY BATTS:
    2S 9000 x 28C = 252,000 divide 1000 = 252 amps
    2S 8000 x 28C = 224,000 divide 1000 = 224 amps
    3S 5200 x 40C = 208,000 divide 1000 = 208 amps
    2S 4700 x 25C = 117,500 divide 1000 = 117.5 amps
    ^I run in my Summit.. ^ Requires proper gearing^

( mah x c rating / 1000 = amps)

The
    more amps the better / minimun of 120 amps.

The ESC will only draw the amount of amps it needs.

Higher the mAh the longer the runtime.
    For brushless systems 8000 mAh about 45 min & a 5000 mAh about 30 min.
    Times are longer for brushed systems.

Batts in series double the voltage:
    2x 2s 20c 5000mah = 4s 20c 5000mah

Batts in parallel double the mah capacity:
    2x 2s 20c 5000mah = 2s 20c 10,000mah.

A temp gun is kind of a must have.....

Hot motor + cool esc = under geared.
    Cool motor + hot esc = over geared
    Everything warm just right..

Motor ~ 180/190*F (82/88*C) maximum, ideally 140/160*F (60/71*C), temps can be 10*F higher inside the motor
    ESC ~ pretty much same temps / Fan comes on @ 150*F (65*C)
    Lipo's ~ 140*F (60*C) max, ideally 100/120*F (38/49*C).........

Besure to check sizing before you buy any batteries...

In time some batteries will become discontinued...

No particular order as to good, better, or best....

2S

With larger Lipo battery wires, you might need to - enlarge the exit hole on battery doors....
    or run wires out the vents..

Direct Fit...........
    2s GensAce 5000 mAh 40c
    2s Gensace 5300mah 30c softcase packs
    2s HiCountryHobbies/Billowy Power 5200 mAh 50c
    2s Hyperion 5000 mAh 45C Soft
    2s RC DUDE Power 5000 mah 35c
    2S Sky Lipo 5000 mah 40C -- fit snugly
    2s SPC 5000 mah 25C hard case
    2s SPC 5200 mAh 40C
    2s SPC 5400 mAh 50C hard case
    2s SPC 6000 mAh 30C hard case
    2s SPC 8200 mAh 30c
    2s SMC 5400 mAh 50c
    2s SMC 6000 mAh 28c
    2s SMC 8000 mAh 28C Soft Case Lipo
    2s SMC 9000 mAh 28C Soft Case Lipo
    2s SMC 9200 mAh 50C
    2s Team Orion carbon 7000 35c
    2s Thunder Power 45-90c 5000mah
    2s Traxxas 5800 mAh 25c
    2s Traxxas 7600 mAh 25c

Mod's.............remove retainers & back out or trim screws if they extend into battery compartment
    2s SPC 8200mAh/40C

3S
    Direct Fit..............
    3s Hyperion 5000 mAh 45C Soft
    3s Max Amps -6000xls
    3s Team Orion Carbon 4700 mAh 45C
    3s Kypom K6 6000 mAh
    3s RC DUDE Power 5000 mAh 35c snug 29mm tall
    3s HiCountryHobbies Billowy Power 5200 mAh 50c snug 28mm tall

Mod's..............remove retainers & back out or trim screws if they extend into battery compartment
    3s SMC 5600 mAh 50C
    3s SMC 5500 mAh 28c
    3S SPC 5200 mAh 40C soft case
    3s SPC 5400 mAh 50C soft-case
    3s Thunder Power 3s 45-90c 5000mah
    3s Traxxas 5000 mAh 25c

4S

Traxxas link to batteries
    http://traxxas.com/products/parts/ac...s-applications
    http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...less-batteries

battery compartment:

This post ha been cleaned up because the name of certain products andor websites that are not allowed on this forum were used. If you see that you have tripped thw language filter you must edit your post to remove the offending words or phrases to avoid infractions and or warning points.

Dadx2mj
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-12-2012 at 10:15 PM.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Enthusiast
    Ok. After looking over some stuff here are the options I am thinking. Let me know what you think.

Batteries: Either the Venom 3s 11.1 V 5000 mah 50c http://www.rcboca.com/parts-accessor...ug-system.html

or
    Traxxas Power Cell 3s 11.1 v 5000 mah 25c http://www.rcboca.com/parts-accessor...-cell-25c.html

or

Venom 3s 11.1 V 6400 mah 20C http://www.rcboca.com/parts-accessor...connector.html

Charger either thinking the Traxxas E-Z Peak Plus or the Onyx AC/DC 245 Dual Charger with Lipo Balancing

Please let me know. Thanks

Here are the packs I recommend:

http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=131

Or:

http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=71

But heres the problem. Your looking at 3S packs. Which means any charger you buy is going to need a power supply with more watts to charge at the full amps the charger is capable of outputting. Most chargers have between a 50 and 80 watt power supply. If you want to charger a 5000mah 3S lipo at 5 amps you need at least 62 watts... so any 50 watt charger wont even charge at pack at 1C (and if you go with a higher MAH pack things will get even slower).

I would seriously recommend starting with 2S lipos, not 3S. First of all, the truck is crazy fast on 2S anyway. 2nd, your initial pack costs will go WAY down (check out the 2S packs from SPC) and you'll be able to get a more affordable charger that can still fill the packs in reasonable time.

really start with 2/2s geared 21/54 is low 50 mph............

RC Qualifier
    I dont say this about many people, but listen to pavmentsurfer. He has given me lots of great info that isnt biased. He doesnt profit from what he says, unlike your local hobbie store or LHS.

RC Enthusiast
    Pavementsurfer..I appreciate that advise and understand.

With that said, the onyx 245 charger is rated at 80W total, 40W on each output, so are you saying that isnt a big enough charger to charge the 3s batteries that I mentioned above or for those SPC 3s packs you linked too?
    Last edited by JasonClaytor; 07-23-2012 at 09:59 PM.

dub post.....hummm
    Last edited by 87 GN; 07-23-2012 at 10:11 PM.

It will charge them but not at a full 1C.
    40 watts will do a 3S (12.6V) pack @ 3.25 amps and a 2S (8.4V) pack @ 4.76 amps.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    87 Gn explains it all very well. I took his advice and bought the SPC 3S 11.1V and couldn't be happier. I'm willing to spend and extra 10.00 on a better battery. Also purchased the hitec 4 bank charger. I can charge, balance, store or discharger 4 batteries at once and it will work with nihm or life batteries as well. Solid charger. Cost is around 210.00 but worth every cent

RC Enthusiast
    My first post budget around 150$US. 1 Charger & 2 Lipo Batts. So follow your suggestion, I'm trying step up 200$.
    So pls advise which Batts & Charger for my small budget? I'll use 2S 5000Mah. Don't use 3S.

2 of these:

http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=113

Despite what some may say, these will power an ERBE no problem.

Then get one of these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Thunder-Power...item1e63f12f82

Thats where I got mine, legitimate seller with fast shipping. I used "make an offer" and got it for $110 shipped.

If you bought those 2 items you'd have just enough left over for a traxxas parallel charge plug adapter and a 2S Parallel balance plug adapter and still probably come in under $200.

I have a buddy who runs this exact setup in his ERBE and he has NO trouble at all. For the money, I think it would be hard to do any better.

RC Qualifier
    dynamite or hitec all make good single battery chargers. Check some of the online hobby sites or ebay. As for batteries, I really like the SPC's. Good quality and fair price. All will be within your budget. Don't forget the lipo charging sack as well. You really need that in case things go bad when charging. Follow all instructions from manufacture and all will be fine
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you for your support. I'll find its in USA site.
    2 of these:

Then get one of these:

Thats where I got mine, legitimate seller with fast shipping. I used "make an offer" and got it for $110 shipped.

If you bought those 2 items you'd have just enough left over for a traxxas parallel charge plug adapter and a 2S Parallel balance plug adapter and still probably come in under $200.

I have a buddy who runs this exact setup in his ERBE and he has NO trouble at all. For the money, I think it would be hard to do any better.
    The lipo charging sack very simple to buy. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by guardog View Post
    dynamite or hitec all make good single battery chargers. Check some of the online hobby sites or ebay. As for batteries, I really like the SPC's. Good quality and fair price. All will be within your budget. Don't forget the lipo charging sack as well. You really need that in case things go bad when charging. Follow all instructions from manufacture and all will be fine

RC Qualifier
    I have a dynamite passport ultra, best money ever spent. +1 on SPC 2s lipos as well. the 5000mah 25c for $30/each is a great deal and if you've got cash the 8200mah 2s at around $65/each ain't bad either.

Like 87GN, my ERBE is geared 21/54, on 4S it has plenty of torque to wheelie on demand and make street runs in the low 50mph range...drivetrain keeps chugging like a champ. I'll pass on 6S...but power to ya, just not my cup of tea.
    ERBE, Slash
    RIP Jato and Revo w/ RB TM323

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSpeed150 View Post
    First time i've posted information like this. Is there a reason ***** and
    ****** are blocked? I did read the guidelines posted and I don't think Im breaking any rules.
    Mate those products have been blocked. See post #6 comments below from one of the moderators.

Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    This post ha been cleaned up because the name of certain products andor websites that are not allowed on this forum were used. If you see that you have tripped thw language filter you must edit your post to remove the offending words or phrases to avoid infractions and or warning points.

Dadx2mj
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 07-25-2012 at 05:25 AM.
    Rock n Rolla !

Dadx2mj

oops did not change it on my other puter...

fixed it........

The stars below in the Sky not the posts.....

RC Enthusiast
    SPC PACK DIMENSIONS 5000mAh, 25C, 3S, 11.1V: 134mm long x 43mm wide x 33.5mm deep,
    Battery bay of truck 160 x 30 x 51mm. So cannot fit. I need mod Battery bay right? Any idea for this?
    2 of these:

Then get one of these:

^ those will fit just take the top retainer out..

+2... theyre in my ERBE right now.

They fit great.

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you
    Here many useful info from you Pavmentsufer. I'm also ask Dynamite Passport or Hyperion-EOS-0720i-NET3? And you aslo answered. Thank you.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...arger%2FCycler

They fit great.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi, Have you ever run on-road tire on E-revo? if yes which one & what's kind of tire?

They fit great.

RC Enthusiast
    Can I parallel charging 2 Lipo SPC 5000mAh 11.1v 25C at the same time on Dynamite Ultra Passport Charger? Because I don't know how to calculate Ohm & Amp?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ntphongzodiac View Post
    Can I parallel charging 2 Lipo SPC 5000mAh 11.1v 25C at the same time on Dynamite Ultra Passport Charger? Because I don't know how to calculate Ohm & Amp?
    Check my signature.
    This is a signature.

RC Enthusiast
    So my Lipo will be: 5A*22.2V=111W right? Charger 100W so can not parallel charging this Lipo
    So if using 2 Lipo 5800mAh 7.4V will be: 5.8A*14.8V=85.84W. Charger 100W so CAN parallel charging this Lipo
    Am I wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by snowslider View Post
    Check my signature.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi all guys, finally my ERBE & Charger, Batts arrived to my home. Thank you for your advise, recommendation... here is some images:

nice charged I had two, because it max's out at 8 amps.
    To charge two 5000 mAh you need a min of 10 amps...to charge at a full 1C.
    You can charge two but it will take a bit longer..

RC Qualifier
    what is the best 2s batteries from spc to get for my used part build erevo with the waterproof HW sc8-wp and 2000 motor.i'm getting ready for the winter and would love to take out my erevo in the snow.

take your pick, all good, higher the mAh the longer the run time.....
    winter will be here before you know it....

RC Enthusiast
    Here is balance cable (for 3S 5000mAh 25C) I do myself, pls check for me if I wrong, Red cable is Plus + & Black cable is Minus -. Pin number 4 is no connection.
    This is Serial charging,

And I will make Power cable like below one:

nice charged I had two, because it max's out at 8 amps.
    To charge two 5000 mAh you need a min of 10 amps...to charge at a full 1C.
    You can charge two but it will take a bit longer..

RC Enthusiast
    My batts thicker than battery bay (3S 5000mAh 25C), very hard to fit to battery bay, if you have image your batts fit to your truck, pls post to here for me easy to see? Thank you
    The power cable & balance cable on Batts in the corner of Lipo, so more thicker, why they don't make its in center of top of Batts?

They fit great.
    One more question: come with ERBE have small oil bottle, where can I drop or lubricate?
    Last edited by ntphongzodiac; 09-12-2012 at 12:01 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Think the oil is for the shocks mine came with it also just throw it away...lol
    The oil is to thin imo I like 60w
    ERBE,Losi 8ight,Slash 4X4

I would save the oil incase you get another rc later on and you can have a variety of oils to use and adjust your suspenion to your liking.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Competitor
    What's the difference between soft case and hard case?

RC Enthusiast
    Softcase as I know don't have hard case cover same as my post #36 above, only thin plastic cover for small dimension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hndacbr6 View Post
    What's the difference between soft case and hard case?
    My charger Dynamite Passport Ultra AC/DC, I cannot find Storage Mode function, anybody know this function come with my charger or not?