Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Whats a good lipo charger and battery

I want to get something for my stampede vxl i have never used lipo so i need help on the best thing to get for starting out i looked at the thunder ac6 and the traxxas 4000mah 2s or the venom 3s 5400mah lipo are those any good if not can you tell me a good starting out charger and battery

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    #1 Start off with a good charger. Spend a little more now and it will carry you throughout the hobby. They also take better care of your packs. The 2 Chargers i've had really good luck with are the Dynamite Passport Ultra DYN4064 & Racer's Edge Surecharge 2010. These both charge at 8amp with a 100W PS.

#2 Pick up some good Lipo Packs. I recommend SPC & Promatch Racing as good quality packs for a great price. They offer budget friendly prices $30-40 and are very worth the money. I've also used Gens Ace without any issues. I have a couple of Traxxas packs but they cost a little bit but offer really good warranty. I'd stay away from Venom.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    I use SPC lipos exclusively.
    Jesus, Lights, RC, Minecraft, LoL

RC Racer
    those 2 chargers are nice digger. but does anyone use the onyx 245 charger? i see its only 5 amp and the others are 8 but if you are useing the spc 5000mah battery you dont want to charge any higher than 5 amps right?
    Started XL-5 now VXL-XL! and spare parts XL-5

RC Qualifier
    I agree with Digger. I've used Orion and Gens Ace, the cost difference isn't worth it. For an AC/DC charger, the Hitec X1 and X4 AC Plus chargers are very nice. You can find them at your LHS or online, or as an Asian import as Sky RC. The X1 looks very much like the Traxxas EZ-Peak.

This is the charging setup I went to earlier this year. It should take care out me for a long time. I can charge 6- 2S packs in 30minutes. Lol

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5137257

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    This is the charger I just picked up:

Hyperion EOS 0720i NET3 7S 16N CHARGER AC/DC with USA Power Cord, Integrated balancer, TCS & STORE MODE, 20A Max with 90W (AC) or 150W (DC) charger power. Network to 300W and 14S max(2x7S balanced)

Not bad for a buck 30, and it will outlive my rc fetish...

Spc packs can be charged at 2c rates, so that 5000 can be charged at 10 amps.

I charge my 5400 spcs at 10.8 amps and the charger is a little over room temp, and thats with an ac power supply inside it!
    Being able to hook it up to my laptop and see ir readings and real time charge info and graphs is pretty awesome. This charger showed my how bad my 5 amp china charger was treating my lipos. I will never use that cheap china stuff again...
    Last edited by rag6; 07-16-2012 at 07:02 PM.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Does the racers edge 2010 work like the 2000? Does the 2010 have a built in power supply and balance?? I looking for a new charger since I am giving my son the racers edge sure charger 2000. I tried a friends venom pro charger and found its accuracy to be lacking with my cell checker. I run 2s and stay around that 5000mah currently have 20c and 25c batteries. I also want to stay around that 120 range or less.
    Last edited by mes882; 07-16-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    digger, how much did your entire setup cost including power supply?

I really liked everything in 1 box with my hyperion, and this charger was recommended to me by spc for a track charger. mes882, check it out.

Dig, I am so glad I finally stepped up to a quality charger. You are so right, I dont know how I ever lived without it, or why I haven't spent the money before now...

RC Qualifier
    I been looking at the hyperion chargers. I do like the idea of a built in balance board and built in power supply though. Uhg I cant decide racers edge, hyperion, dynamite passport. Is there really any performance differences in these? Any of these made in the USA??
    Last edited by mes882; 07-16-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    digger, how much did your entire setup cost including power supply?

I really liked everything in 1 box with my hyperion, and this charger was recommended to me by spc for a track charger. mes882, check it out.

Dig, I am so glad I finally stepped up to a quality charger. You are so right, I dont know how I ever lived without it, or why I haven't spent the money before now...
    I got the combo at Progressive RC, the Tailor-Made combo. It was right at $400. That includes the MPA balance board and everything to get you setup. The 600W PSU does a very good now. I purchased a couple of server PS that I'll build up to get me 1150W later on. That'll be for many 3S packs or larger. Its by far the best money I've spent and will never regret.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

mes, I can tell you that the hyperion I pic'd above will charge a 5400 at 13a (highest I have tried yes I know just voided my warranty, but that quality battery handles it fine and is underrated imo @2c)on ac power and even more on dc. I dont see me owning a battery that will ever tax this charger. For $10 more than your budget of 120, its a killer deal. It will charge multiple packs with the right accessories, but@ 2c my packs charge in less than 35 min(or 30min for my 5400), which is about as fast as I can drain and switch them

RC Qualifier
    rag have you checked the voltages with a cell checker or multimeter?? How does that look?? I'm sure its good just wondering. Like that venom charger the display says 4.2v 4.2v Then when I put it on my hyperion cell checker it was 4.17 and 4.12 with a 92% charge. That was with a balance charge. Where did you get it for 130? The cheapest I found was 160 shipped. I am afraid of getting a 130 piece of junk.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-17-2012 at 11:52 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I have two Venom Pro Plus chargers and a tenergy charger. They have kept my lipos in good shape. The Venom chargers are pricy, I picked on up refurbished, liked it so much I bought a new one. I have heard that Lipos don't come into shape until they have had 10 cycles on them.
    I have only come here seeking knowledge

http://www.allerc.com/index.php

My accucell6 (cant say the first word in the name) was overcharging cell 1 on all my packs to almost 4.3v, and that was resting voltage. The packs were checked at my local track with a good multi meter, and the hyperion was right on the money + or - .001v

Just checked and flat rate shipping is free to PA @ allerc

The hyperion chargers are very accurate, and as I said before, this charger was recommended by Jakey(Tom Himes) at spc...

I got lucky and found a used one in new shape at buyrcstuff.com for a 77$ shipped auction win.
    Last edited by rag6; 07-16-2012 at 11:43 PM.

RC Racer
    I use the duratrax ice charger for my lipo's. Never have had a problem with it.

I have 3 different brand lipo's and they all work great. I run 7.4 volt 2C 5000mah lipos.

I also have a lipo blancer...an Electrifly cellmatch. Great tool to have. Only $20 and keeps your lipo's balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    I got the combo at Progressive RC, the Tailor-Made combo. It was right at $400. That includes the MPA balance board and everything to get you setup. The 600W PSU does a very good now. I purchased a couple of server PS that I'll build up to get me 1150W later on. That'll be for many 3S packs or larger. Its by far the best money I've spent and will never regret.
    Isn't it about time you get that project done? It's not like you have anything ELSE to do, right?

@ rag6: setup is $175 for base;
    add $19 for USB adapter for PC control and monitoring of charges;
    add $65 for Multi-Port adapter for charging and balancing up to 6 packs in parallel;
    add $11 for a couple required cables;
    that's the charger part. You can go a little cheaper but the capability dropoff is significant.

Is it any wonder that some of us eschew the ready-made PSUs to spend $70 or less to make TWO 1000+ Watt power supplies from used server supplies? I've been able to make my PL6 read "0.5 kilowatts" (500W) but to push more power I need bigger/more batteries and more balance boards. My total cost was about $270.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Isn't it about time you get that project done? It's not like you have anything ELSE to do, right?
    I know right!!! I've only built 1 project Sl4sh and currently working on a MERV for my little boy. LOL I've also been pretty busy at work.

I looked at a few schematics and just not sure what to do to put it together. I'm not much on the electrical side. I might print or run those ideas around some of the electrical gurus i have in my work area and see if they can understand that jargon. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

that setup is really sweet, and not as expensive as I would have thunk. I know you can link 2 of these hyperions together for 14s packs. Add 2 balance boards and you can charge 7 2s packs??? I will never need that lol.

About 3 years ago I was in a thread and ksb was schooling me a bit on quality chargers. I remember saying something along the lines of "my accucell6 is all I will need for a long time" he responded with something along the lines of "just wait". He was right. Although I really do not and may not ever need 20 amp charge rates(dc power) my new charger is capable of, what I needed all along was the accuracy and quality of it. 5 amps would still do me just fine, even with my erbe, but my batteries deserve better care than what I have been giving them for 3 years with the china clone charger. Unfortunately, I never found a less powerful, but quality budget charger(around $50). It is a shame there are not more affordable, accurate and quality 5 amp chargers out there as the majority of bashers are content with 1 hr 5000mah charge times.

Fortunately I did find the eos720i NET3 Ad used in new shape for under 80.

To all the newer lipo users out there, these guys preaching quality chargers know what they are talking about. You may save that extra initial investment pretty quickly. I had 3 batteries puff on me way before their time was up. I thought it was battery quality, or my care that caused it. That was 145$ worth of packs. I am now sure that my accucell6, and its balance inaccuracy was the cause as it was cell 1 in all 3 packs that let go, and that was the cell that my cheapo charger was overcharging. Beware of these chargers like the thunder ac6/accucell6 and its clones . There is a chance that you will get a bad one. If you do have one, I would suggest getting them on a battery checker, or multi meter pronto.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's what I've been saying for a while: it's not all about charge rates and wattage limitations, it's all the other stuff. I understand that not everybody have huge resources to throw at this hobby (me being an example!) but wow, if everybody could do close to as well as rag6 did with that Hyperion not only would we hear less battery horror stories but also you'd see the full potential of your packs from full charge to their reasonable (and not overcharge-shortened) end of life.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    I recently got the Onyx 235. Only charged NIMH on it. It's really easy to use and I see nothing wrong with it. Only I can't figure out how to make it discharge. Anyone know how to do this?
    God is good.

RC Champion
    It does not discharge I have the same one great charger and easy to use

+1 to KSB & Rag. I havent been in the Hobby or as long as most of these guys. I have went through many changes over the 1-1/2yrs since ive been in the Hobby. Let me tell you listen to these guys, well me to. Buy a good quality charger right at the get go. You don't have to get something as massive as what some of us have. Ask around with how we feel or experiences on how they work. Its a very good initial investment.

Thunder AC6>>>> DON'T BUY THIS ONE!!!!!!!
    Dynamite Passport Ultray DYN4064>>>>>> Great Charger
    Racer's Edge Surecharge 2010>>>> Another Good Charger
    PowerLab-6 or 8>>> Probably one of the last, you will ever have to buy.

Just my .02$ worth.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    I did some looking around. And in the manual on page 10 towards the bottom it say to take your batteries MAH capacity and multiply that by 0.4, then once you have that number, in the charger find the number closest to it. Example: 1600 x 0.4= 640 the closest number would be 650. So 650 is the MAH number you would want when wanting to put your lipo in storage mode if it was a 1600 MAH lipo battery. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by ithrowstones; 07-17-2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Stupid auto correct :/
    God is good.

RC Enthusiast
    I have been looking at the racers edge surecharge 2010. It looks nice but does it charge well and is it very complicated to use i am mainly charging lipos (spc 25c 5000mah 2s) i have 2 easy peak chargers for nihm.

RC Qualifier
    Been thinking about the 2010 as well. Along with the others mentioned by rag and digger

I was wondering has anyone used the traxxas lipo charger the ez peak plus

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mes882 View Post
    Been thinking about the 2010 as well. Along with the others mentioned by rag and digger

I was wondering has anyone used the traxxas lipo charger the ez peak plus
    Many of us have... quality product, works, but simply an entry level set up that will quickly be out grown by anyone who really pix up the hobby. If you own more than one truck or more than 2 batteries, your already past this "entry level" if this hobby is something that's gonna be with you for some time, and you run more than 2 packs each time you bust out a truck, you will quickly find yourself waiting on batteries to charge. Once you start to care for your batteries, how they feel on the trigger, the way the deliver power or lack the power they once delivered, you will see how important this purchase is. If your a busy man, get to run on occasion, then an entry level charger is fine. I've killed batteries in months not knowing that its all in the cycle (charge/discharge process. I have 12-15 lipo'sall in top shape, some of witch are going on a 2nd year. All do to my charger! First year, I went through 6-8 batteries, all junk after a few months......all do to the charger and over amping or lets call it " pulling to much power to fast". Now, I charge my very healthy batteries at rates we are not going to discuss, safely, without any chances of harm to my household or batteries.
    To max out a batteries life and health, you will need a top rated charger. If the battery is gonna sit around a ton of time rather than run a lot get a better than entry level charger. If your gonna charge them many times weekly and or every day you'll want an awesome charger! If you really don't know if your gonna have this truck in 3-6 months get an entry level or atleast a well known, tried and true set up. But the consequence could be re-investing in a charger and replacing batteries later on if you stick with rc's.
    Sorry I haven't offered up some brands for ya but, you have some awesome choices laid out already.. this is one of those things that just gets harder to choose as the options become more available.
    I will say that Promatch is my #1 battery! SPC is a great buy and offer top notch power. These are the only batteries I'll buy. If your really not sure about your rc future then cheapo batts could be for you BUT, you will never get the power from them that Promatch and SPC offer. With that said, they also require a top notch charger to maintain the power they can deliver! You get a junk charger and a killer battery .....then within a few weeks you'll have some junk batteries too! You can not maintain a quality battery with a crap charger! This is why some folks buy Promatch and SPC, then come back hear and say "I didn't see any difference between mine (crap brands) and Promatch" or SPC....ya, dragged a killer battery down to dirt pour power with a crap charger lol.
    Well, good luck and happy hunting, play hard, bash harder!
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

Well spoken dread. I'm like you I run SPC & Promatch and those are awesome packs. Not only that but they are cheaper than other packs that are offered. Plus they have outstanding customer service.

You know I may not be able to run near as much as some guys but when i want to charge my packs in a jiffy and know they are being taken care of. I feel what i purchased is the right tool for the job. Most of the time I pull all the packs i'm going to use hook them up fire up the charger & let it rOcK!! While its doing its thing I can load all my rigs up in the truck get set, then the charger is talking to me to go get them. 6 packs in 30-35 mins, leaves me many hours of good runtime. That's even running my ERBE or EMBE that takes 2 to liven up.

Man i'm waiting for SPC to get some packs in too. Arhhhh... I need to pick up a couple more 2S 5400 50c, and some 1/16 scale packs soon!! LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    So is the racers edge surecharge 2010 a good charger I've been in the hobby since 8 I'm stickin with I know I'm getting the spc 5000mah 2s 25c but I don't know if the surecharge is a good charger yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    +1 to KSB & Rag. I havent been in the Hobby or as long as most of these guys. I have went through many changes over the 1-1/2yrs since ive been in the Hobby. Let me tell you listen to these guys, well me to. Buy a good quality charger right at the get go. You don't have to get something as massive as what some of us have. Ask around with how we feel or experiences on how they work. Its a very good initial investment.

Thunder AC6>>>> DON'T BUY THIS ONE!!!!!!!

Just my .02$ worth.

RC Enthusiast
    is it a good charger or not

Quote Originally Posted by mrmcsquisee View Post
    is it a good charger or not
    Yes its a very good charger. Between it and the Dynamite Passport Ultra I liked them both. There are others out there like what rag6 suggested.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    just ordered the hyperion rag suggested off ebay 129.95 with free shipping.

RC Racer

can any of these charge 2 at the same time?
    i'm looking at getting 2 or 3 spc 25c 5000mah 2s soon. my stock nimh battery is seeming to not work as good anymore
    Started XL-5 now VXL-XL! and spare parts XL-5

RC Qualifier
    The ones you have there can not. Let me tell you why I did the hyperion that rag suggested . It will charge up 20amps. If you read the description for the spc lipos it says you can charge at a 2c rating. So that means a 5000 mah battery can be charged at 10 amps.vs 5amps. So if I can charge at 2c that should cut charging time in half. Two of the charges listed above will only do 8amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Stodz View Post

can any of these charge 2 at the same time?
    i'm looking at getting 2 or 3 spc 25c 5000mah 2s soon. my stock nimh battery is seeming to not work as good anymore
    If you are wanting to charge anything more than a single pack. You will want something with higher Charging Amps for Parallel charging. The powerlab-6 with a good PS ( 600W is what I have ) will have more juice than you will probably ever need. My current setup charges @ 40A. It doesnt even strain doing that either. The charger rag6 suggested is a nice little setup. The wattage is kinda low, but it should be great for a pack or two in parallel.

Quote Originally Posted by mes882 View Post
    The ones you have there can not. Let me tell you why I did the hyperion that rag suggested . It will charge up 20amps. If you read the description for the spc lipos it says you can charge at a 2c rating. So that means a 5000 mah battery can be charged at 10 amps.vs 5amps. So if I can charge at 2c that should cut charging time in half. Two of the charges listed above will only do 8amps.
    Right on man!! rag6 stated a very good charger. I was just stating what I had used and not something that just shows the specs.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustlersvxl4life View Post
    ...Also SPC and venom are incredibly good when it comes to batteries
    Not 100% true.
    Venom NiMH are terrible batteries. They`re lipos are decent however.
    Gens ace is another good cheap battery and most can be charged at 2c or higher.
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

RC Qualifier
    i just ordered an SPC 2S lipo. Can't wait for it to arrive.
    God is good.

Quote Originally Posted by ithrowstones View Post
    i just ordered an SPC 2S lipo. Can't wait for it to arrive.
    Great packs!! I just ordered a couple of 2S 5400 50c and 4 2s 2250 for my 1/16 MERV. This adds more to my stock of current packs from them or Promatch. I have a Gens Ace and its been a really good pack so far.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I dont think that my charger will be able to charge 2 2s 5000 packs at 2c rates(20a total), at the same time with ac power. It should be able to do it off of dc. I did get 13a out of it on ac power though...