RC Racer

I am getting the Summit! Have a few questions.

So, I've pretty much decided that I want the Summit. I want a new RC, and I honestly can't think of any other model that I'd enjoy more (that I don't already own). So, when I buy this thing what will I need to go with it? What do you suggest as far as batteries are concerned? 4s? 6s? And what sizes fit the battery trays? Can I use the same batteries I have in my ERBE (4300 MAH Lipo hardpacks 2S)? Also, does it need any upgrades out of the box? I plan on just bashing it around my neighborhood mostly..That's just grass, dirt, a bit of sand, and maybe if I get brave I'll drive it through a bit of water. If there are any things that need immediate upgrading, please tell me! With my old slash 4x4 it needed a shock upgrade out of the box!

RC Enthusiast
    The Summit is made to run 2 x 2S packs. I use SPC 8200MAH Lipo's in mine.

I believe there are some upgrades the Summit needs. The differential's need some work for sure. The axles are another problem area if you bash pretty hard. I have a few RC's and I don't think the Summit can be beat.

I am getting the Summit! Have a few questions.

Stock the Summit is a 4S (two 2S) machine. 4300 mAh packs are small for an ERBE. The Summit's large brushed motor isn't as efficient so that runtimes will be down.
    There's almost nothing you need for the truck except maybe double-orange springs for the rear shocks.
    What I think you are lacking is proper terrain to drive over.
    stump1000 and I will eternally disagree about the diffs and axles. He hasn't been able to make them last and I've broken three axles in as many years and no diffs. I drive with a few other Summiteers. Again, no problem with axles or diffs. It isn't the vehicle that needs modifying.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-08-2014 at 08:32 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    +1 on that. The summit isn't a speed machine and needs challenging terrain, if not it can become quite boring just driving on dirt and grass areas.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Competitor
    This sounds stupid but how do you starts new thread?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Stock the Summit is a 4S (two 2S) machine. 4300 mAh packs are small for an ERBE. The Summit's large brushed motor isn't as efficient so that runtimes will be down.
    There's almost nothing you need for the truck except maybe double-orange springs for the rear shocks.
    stump1000 and I will eternally disagree about the diffs and axles. He hasn't been able to make them last and I've broken three axles in as many years and no diffs. I drive with a few other Summiteers. Again, no problem with axles or diffs. It isn't the vehicle that needs modifying.
    I don't have an extreme terrain to drive it over or anything like that, but I really want this thing! However, I've always been obsessed with speed. I drive my ERBE occasionally and tend to drive it up to 30 MPH or a bit more off road, and when I'm not driving it I'm driving my XO-1 at least 50 MPH. I may regret purchasing it. Not 100% sure if it's for me..I need to think about it more.

RC Qualifier
    You realise a Summit is the exact same chassis (and many other parts) as the ERBE. It is a slower brushed ERBE with locking Diffs and a two speed transmission. If you need speed, you don't want Summit. I have both and I love both - but without the terrain you will get bored with the Summit.
    It is a beast, requires NO upgrades out of the box (OK double orange springs in the rear helps) but it is just about perfect for what it is designed for.

RC Racer
    It does need upgrades if you drive it alot and don't baby it. I got a Summit because it was a versatile vehicle, jack of all trades master of none. If I wanted slow and reliable I would have gotten something else. The axles are a weak point. Traxxas screwed up with their material choice by using a heavy amount of glass fibers. . They were never meant to be a "fuse". It was a mistake that has made them alot of money in parts. The diffs are hit or miss. When I took my stock unopened diff out to replace it with my lem spider gears and diff housing 3 out of the 4 diff screws are half backed out. I am pretty sure this led to my broken tooth off my rear diff. Don't get me wrong. It sees a ton of abuse. Most people aren't as abusive as me. With my slipper adjusted right where it won't slip during normal driving, I have broken over 15 axles so far with most being redrilled in the head and only 6 or so pretzeling on the tube.
    Summit Tacon 2650kv, 17/68, SMC 9400mah,Lem diffs

Quote Originally Posted by Maximuscr31 View Post
    It does need upgrades if you drive it alot and don't baby it. I got a Summit because it was a versatile vehicle, jack of all trades master of none. If I wanted slow and reliable I would have gotten something else. The axles are a weak point. Traxxas screwed up with their material choice by using a heavy amount of glass fibers. . They were never meant to be a "fuse". It was a mistake that has made them alot of money in parts. The diffs are hit or miss. When I took my stock unopened diff out to replace it with my lem spider gears and diff housing 3 out of the 4 diff screws are half backed out. I am pretty sure this led to my broken tooth off my rear diff. Don't get me wrong. It sees a ton of abuse. Most people aren't as abusive as me. With my slipper adjusted right where it won't slip during normal driving, I have broken over 15 axles so far with most being redrilled in the head and only 6 or so pretzeling on the tube.
    Rubbish, pure and simple.

RC Racer
    Thank you for informing me of that. I believe that means I can go get all those axles out of the trash and smack myself silly for constantly redrilling them. Also since it is all rubbish then I guess that means the diff screws are meant to be backed out on purpose on 3 to 4 of them? If so I missed that in the manual. If they are not made of industrial nylon 66 with glass fibers or talc composing 20% of the axle then what are they made of? The member working in a lab came up with this

So I preformed DSC test and find out that the stock shafts are made out of Nylon 66 having Tm-257c.
    No other polymer, just some filler (my guess its around 20% of SGF or talc) that increese the rigidity and decreese creep and impact.
    I will have more details on sunday.
    Or are you saying that Traxxas made the axles correctly for the Summit and Erevo? The rest of us that break them like to make it up and give our money to vendors and hobby stores for no reason? Calling a complete post
    Rubbish, pure and simple.
    is a sign of complete immaturity and lack of knowledge to refute the claims set forth. Do a google search for "broken 1/10 Summit axles" and be astonished. Actually just click http://bit.ly/1xjZBsg the link here.

Or are you saying that Traxxas made the axles correctly for the Summit and Erevo? The rest of us that break them like to make it up and give our money to vendors and hobby stores for no reason?
    . I believe that means I can go get all those axles out of the trash and smack myself silly for constantly redrilling them. Also since it is all rubbish then I guess that means the diff screws are meant to be backed out on purpose on 3 to 4 of them?
    My two cents on the topic are this:

I've had my Summit for a good 2 years now. I own 10 rc cars, 8 being Traxxas. The Summit is my favorite from the 10, no questions. I've never, ever, broken a stock axle with the stock brushed system, or using the DeWalt 14.4 motor. I have however, broken a stock axle with a Mamba Monster system in my Summit, while seeing how far I could jump it. Honesty the stock axles are not weak. At all. There's a reason why people use them on the E-Revo for use on 6s in most cases over any aftermarket axle, they're tough. Yes, they can break, but it takes quite some tough abuse to break one. The diffs, I've never broken them with normal use. I've only broken the spider gears when I forgot I had the front diff locked while I was driving on pavement. It was purely my fault, not the Summit's fault. Even with brushless my stock diffs hold up great. I've never had a diff screw come out on me.
    If you drive like an idiot yes stuff happens to break, like driving around on pavement with the diffs locked, and jumping it with a fully tightened slipper clutch and not letting go of the throttle. I work at a hobby shop full time and yes, I see my fair share of busted Summit/ E-Revo stuff. 99.9% of the time the truck's owner admits to doing something out of the normal when it broke. For the most part every customer with a Summit/E-Revo loves it, with little to no complaints.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 11-09-2014 at 05:56 PM.
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

Quote Originally Posted by Maximuscr31 View Post
    Thank you for informing me of that. I believe that means I can go get all those axles out of the trash and smack myself silly for constantly redrilling them. Also since it is all rubbish then I guess that means the diff screws are meant to be backed out on purpose on 3 to 4 of them? If so I missed that in the manual. If they are not made of industrial nylon 66 with glass fibers or talc composing 20% of the axle then what are they made of? The member working in a lab came up with this

Or are you saying that Traxxas made the axles correctly for the Summit and Erevo? The rest of us that break them like to make it up and give our money to vendors and hobby stores for no reason? Calling a complete post is a sign of complete immaturity and lack of knowledge to refute the claims set forth. Do a google search for "broken 1/10 Summit axles" and be astonished. Actually just click http://bit.ly/1xjZBsg the link here.
    Attack all you want. The failure is not in the axles. It's in the driver. Yes, I did just post that.

I'm seeing very little willingness to take personal responsibility for your actions.

It's very easy to think that others are babying a product or not using it to rationalize failures. in this specific case you are parking up a very wrong tree. Great - you break things. It doesn't make you cool or a make you a rebel - it just makes you a breaker of things, and you should know better.

RC Enthusiast
    The Summit is by far, my favorite RC car. Stating factual information about the Summit, doesn't mean I'm hating on it. I love my Summit. I broke an axle on my 2nd pack when the Summit was new. 4-5 charges later, I broke another axle. I have broke more than one diff too. I run my stuff hard and if you don't run yours hard, then most likely your experiences will be different.

RC Racer
    I didn't break. The axles broke. I run my vehicle hard because I bought it to have fun. I don't run it into trees unless it is curved and am doing a tree flip. I have broken a few axles that are my fault. I have broken them on the 775, dewalt, and the brushless. The rear diff broke and it wasn't my fault. The front diff broke and it was. Some axle breaks have been my fault. Most have not. I always carry several because the pin holes rip apart relatively easy when bashing or crawling with locked diffs. I have never broken an axle that I remember trailing.

Quote Originally Posted by stump1000 View Post
    The Summit is by far, my favorite RC car. Stating factual information about the Summit, doesn't mean I'm hating on it. I love my Summit. I broke an axle on my 2nd pack when the Summit was new. 4-5 charges later, I broke another axle. I have broke more than one diff too. I run my stuff hard and if you don't run yours hard, then most likely your experiences will be different.

Ah yes, I was wondering when you'd chime in. It was "cheap plastic axles" that was your claim, correct? Even though the Summit axles are used as upgrades for the ERBE axles? Yeah, I run with a guy who uses the Summit short axles up front and the long ones at the rear even though some say the shorts are no good on the ERBE. And still we get together and flog the thing. So many have figured out how to drive this thing. So here's a question: Why can't some guys get it?
    "You must baby it," "You can't drive it as hard as we do," blah blah blah. Way to make excuses for failures that should not happen. ANYBODY can break something. It's usually not even that hard. What takes some skill and sense is using something hard and NOT breaking it.

Running something hard and running it smart are two different things. You can run your truck very hard but if you are smart enough and experienced enough you learn how to run it hard without breaking things. I feel I run my trucks much harder now than I did when I first got into the hobby but I have FAR fewer part failures now than I did back then. It comes with experience adn learning some finesse rather than brute force when driving.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    If you can find a used one like I did and get a good deal on it, I'd go that route. I payed $200 bucks for a fully working summit then upgraded to the mombo monster combo and toughened up the drive train a bit. Still under the price of a new one and it's brushless, upgraded.

I realize this thing isn't suppose to be a speed demon, but I'm much more satisfied with the extra power of the brushless upgrade, also longer run times and the ability to run 6C (although 6C isn't needed IMO).

RC Qualifier
    i agree the half shafts on the summit are nothing u need to upgrade at all. Even with my mamba monster system ive never had a problem with mine. They do have a weak point with the pins but ther isnt a better option out there and they should last along time. the center driveshaft is a different story its something u should upgrade with the traxxas steel one if your planning on brushless. But if u keep it stock then it needs nothing at all. Maybe some orange springs on back helps for the squating and also put some pretension on them.
    Last edited by MotherRocker; 11-12-2014 at 02:02 AM.

RC Qualifier
    btw i love that " it just makes you a breaker of things " to funny

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MotherRocker View Post
    btw i love that " it just makes you a breaker of things " to funny
    I agree the stock plastic shafts are strong enough for the price. I get mine for $10 a set of 4 (rc recyclers). At that price I just thro them away after about 5 hours of bash time mine tend to start to deform slightly after that. But I'm fussy and have a few spare $ iam sure I could get another 5 or 10 hours of runtime left in them. Even when I go to skatepark I only ever break the occasional arm.
    Last edited by Delta149; 11-12-2014 at 02:35 AM.

RC Qualifier
    i do the same thing, i replace mine before they ever break cuz the blue rubber seal rips or the pins start to wear into the plastic and cause alil slop but they never break on me and i run mamba monster with speeds over 75kph all the time. I also keep ky slipper pretty tight, quater turn from super tight. Also the diffa are strong in the summit ive never had a failure except one time when i forgot to turn my diff lock off then went in high gear and then clink clink broken diff. Without driver error the summit is more durable then any other rc rtr.

RC Racer
    The Summit is by far, my favorite RC car. Stating factual information about the Summit, doesn't mean I'm hating on it.............

It looks like it's only ever had a few light runs mine after one skatepark bash looks way worse and after a year I had to replace the skid plate at front because it was about worn right through.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta149 View Post
    It looks like it's only ever had a few light runs mine after one skatepark bash looks way worse and after a year I had to replace the skid plate at front because it was about worn right through.
    I would think it has had a lot of hard use. It looks like that photo may be intended to show off products from the manufacturer for whose forum stump1000 is an admin...which leads to a whole other can of worms...but I digress.
    Different users wear out different parts of this vehicle. (Notice I wrote "wear out" and not "break".) For example, I've worn right through a set of battery door hinges because my preferred terrain is rocks, rocks, and more rocks. My much older ERBE has the same doors and they are still healthy. We should be careful not to make wild assumptions about how others use their vehicles. Conversely, if it looks, walks and quacks like a duck...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I purchased a Summit shortly after the truck was released several years ago. My Summit has been driven, raced, crawled, bashed, smashed and crashed around my home in northwest PA, in several different states and in Ontario Canada. After several years of abuse the truck still has the original tires and motor. I have broken only a few VERY insignificant parts, NONE of which are drivetrain related. Note I said parts "I have broken" as all the failures were my fault.

One particularly ugly crash (that ksb51rl witnessed) saw the truck cartwheel end-over-end down a steep and long stripmines hill that was littered with large sharp rocks. The truck was cartwheeling so violently as to rotate several times in the air before touching down again, catch something sharp and launch-cartwheeling again, and again and again. I watched in horror as the truck careened down the hill. After the dust settled, literally, the total parts damage was one rear toe link pulled out from the plastic link end. I screwed the plastic link end back onto the toe link and went back to crawling and bashing/crashing for the rest of the day. Later I placed a small drop of CA glue into the plastic link threads and after the CA glue dried I screwed the steel link back in. To this day that same repaired part is on the truck. But make no mistake about; of the handful of small parts that have failed on this truck, each and every one of them has been my fault.

Great RC truck Traxxas !!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Racer
    I broke two axle this day. One doing donuts, one doing fence flips afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azUm...IGGXMec1IkaFTA

Another day at the school doing tree flips an axle shattered in the middle
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVs1...IGGXMec1IkaFTA

Broke my front diff on the concrete sidewalk. Totally my fault though
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT4c...IGGXMec1IkaFTA

Broke my rear diff in the yard here. Best conclusion is the backed out screws in the diff. That is even with a loose slipper.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eJ5...IkaFTA&index=1
    Broke no axles at the skate park with the Dewalt though.

Here are some pictures I JUST took of remains from old axles including one that is on it now that has been redrilled. I have 3 new ones I haven't put on yet. I normally throw them away but found these in my box. One thing I noticed it is never the inner axle that breaks. I might have had one break at a pin area. every other time it has been on the hollow shaft or hollow shaft end.

RC Qualifier
    lol u just ignored that poor kid who push his lil yellow truck all the way over to you i think he wanted to play with you.

RC Qualifier
    you can tell your hard on ur truck by the way you drive it in those videos, and by its appearance in those pics. I drive my truck fast and mame jumps and crawl but it still looks in very good shape cuz i dont abuse it.

RC Racer
    The kid is my son. He didn't want to play with his RC truck that day but with his dump truck instead. My truck is just a bit dirty there is all. I just didn't clean it up for pictures and our area is full of red clay mud. We also have lots of rocks jutting out of the ground that are pointed here in the Appalachian mountain range so they tend to scrape up the bottom.

RC Champion
    What kind of Axles are you running here ? they look awesome. Are they aluminum or are they just painted?

If aftermarket, could you let me know who sells them ? thanks
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

They are aluminum and are made by Leading Edge Machine, but I'm not sure if they are in production yet. Check their site.

RC Qualifier
    100% operator error causing that drivetrain carnage. no vehicle can withstand being deliberately driven straight into a tree or a fence hoping the tires will grab and flip the vehicle over. when the tires leave the ground and start spinning very fast and then hit something causing them to come to a sudden and violent stop you will break things. interesting way to use an r/c truck. i wonder what would happen if you lifted a 1:1 truck off the ground, spun the tires up to 70mph, then dropped it repeatedly.

RC Racer
    Nope. They make axle upgrades for that. They also don't "leave" the ground then touch the object. You don't use a flat tree. It has to be curved. Most of my axle breaks have been in my yard. It is slightly uphill though.

RC Racer
    Also in those "abuse" videos I was trying to break the new diff. LeadingEdgeMachining had told me to try and break it. They said most people were easy on them and wanted someone to abuse it. RC cars are cheap and meant to have fun with. Abusing the ever living snot out of it for a week did go through a few axles but the flips are precisely the thing that normally kills the diffs. The front Lem diff and stock rear held fine for that. Normally I just trail or bash in my non obstacle filled yard. There are also a few clean dirt piles made of soft clay dirt I crawl. I just wish upgraded car parts were as cheap as rc parts/vehicles. If the thing caught on fire tomorrow and melted I would be sad but honestly 500.00 in the long run isn't that much and I have paid 10x that for less fun.

RC Qualifier
    well i meant the tires leave the ground after you flip off the fence, they are then free wheeling very fast and when they hit the ground BAM, stoppo! thus driving a ton of force through the entire drivetrain.

either way, i thought you were coming off like the stock axles were terrible, now it sounds like you agree that you were overly rough on them.

also, it's people like you that get manufacturers to make stronger parts, so party on.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    100% operator error causing that drivetrain carnage. no vehicle can withstand being deliberately driven straight into a tree or a fence hoping the tires will grab and flip the vehicle over. when the tires leave the ground and start spinning very fast and then hit something causing them to come to a sudden and violent stop you will break things. interesting way to use an r/c truck. i wonder what would happen if you lifted a 1:1 truck off the ground, spun the tires up to 70mph, then dropped it repeatedly.
    I watched all the videos and I never did see him "run dead into a tree". I seen him drive it up a tree and not even hard at that. I've never done that with my Summit but it didn't look like it would be that brutal as he wasn't running up the tree very fast. He is basically using the tree for a steep ramp.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    well i meant the tires leave the ground after you flip off the fence, they are then free wheeling very fast and when they hit the ground BAM, stoppo! thus driving a ton of force through the entire drivetrain.

either way, i thought you were coming off like the stock axles were terrible, now it sounds like you agree that you were overly rough on them.

also, it's people like you that get manufacturers to make stronger parts, so party on.
    I was overly rough on them there. Then other times not so much. Honestly though to me RC vehicles aren't fun to drive like a real vehicle unless your 10. I can drive a real vehicle any time. What I can't do is go barreling off a ledge into a creek or drive up a tree or jump 10ft into the air or do a standing backflip. Is it abuse? Possibly. Is it fun? Absolutely. As far as stronger parts I have had good luck with LEM parts for their diffs. I am awaiting their dog carrier upgrade for the tranny to get rid of slop. As far as axles I have resorted to making my own. I will be testing them this week.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the info.
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

Honestly though to me RC vehicles aren't fun to drive like a real vehicle unless your 10. I can drive a real vehicle any time. What I can't do is go barreling off a ledge into a creek or drive up a tree or jump 10ft into the air or do a standing backflip. Is it abuse? Possibly. Is it fun? Absolutely.
    The trick is to learn how to do those things without abusing or breaking the truck. A chimp could easily be trained to do those things with an RC but it takes some experience and finesse to be able to do those thing without abusing and breaking the truck. After market parts may help or they may not but either way if you abuse the truck it is going to break.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power