RC Champion

Diff and Axle Bearing Shields

I hate to do this to you guys, but along with keeping my bearings grease packed, and up to snuff. I make bearing shields for my diff and axle bearings. They're easy to make, and they really cut down on the maintenance if you run in wet muddy conditions as I do.

The first thing you do is get some aluminum speed tape, or aluminum heater duct tape. Cut a few pieces off.

Now, use a common (normal size hole) paper punch, and punch a hole in your aluminum speed tape.

Next, get a thick rag, and place it on your bench. Take your speed tape (with the hole), and place that on top of the towel. Take a TRA 5118 bearing, and center it on the seed tape hole. Now, firmly press the bearing down onto the speed tape.

You should have a nice imprint of the bearing on the speed tape.

For using these bearing covers for diffs, cut one cover right on the outside bearing line; and cut the other just inside the bearing line. Don't remove the backing tape.

Place the bearing cover (the one cut rite on the outside bearing imprint line), and place it as shown. Next, take 4 small pieces of speed tape a place them over diff screw holes as shown. The 4 pieces will have the backing tape removed to expose the adhesive. Use an ex-acto knife to cut out the screw holes.

With both bearing covers installed, assemble the diff as normal.

Next, trim of excess speed tape.

If you want (I do), you can make bearing covers, and put them on the front of your diff. And, you can put them on the front of your axle bearings. The only difference is for those, you take off the backing tape. When I install these, I use a pencel eraser, and press around the outside of the cover. The bearing cover hole is just a tad bigger than the inner bearing hole to allow for free movement.

That's it! Hope you like! I'm going to eat some break-the-fast. Take care my friends.
    Last edited by ReglarDude; 10-19-2013 at 06:23 AM.

RC Champion
    Pretty cool idea mate. Seems like a Lot of work though. I give you a lot of credit for taking the time to do the bearing maintenance though. Me, I would just chuck the traxxas bearings in the barrel and replace with avid for a buck a pc. But that's just me. I don't run my trucks in wet or muddy conditions either. why the 4 pc of tape on the diff housing?

RC Champion
    1). Even though aluminum speed tape is very, very thin; you still have to compansate for it being added to the diff's bearings width.

2). I would just R/R bearings to, but they just don't last. I've had very good luck with packing them before I put them in. In the over four...well, it's been five years now. I haven't had any diff problems, and have only had to replace two bearings. The only problem I have had over the years (besides the two bearings) is two broken front bulk heads (big, big crashes), a rear shock tower (also, a big, big crash), and this year I had to replace my 5 year old Mamba (you guys helped me with that). I don't think that's to bad seeing how much I play with it, and how rough I am with it.

Anyway, you guys always help me out, and being this year I decided to go though everything all at once, I figured I would take pictures of some of the things I do to get better playing time and less wrench time from my truck.