Kershaw designs 150amp + leopard 2150kv motor!!!

Yea I just got this bad boy last week and installed it today and.... the traxxas plug is soldered on backwards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea you read it right. For a reality check, I even compared it with my traxxas esc's and it's backwards. When I plugged it in to the 3s lipo to test, it sparked like the 4th of July and after I looked everything over, I realized it was on backwards. Pos and Neg are reversed.

Kershaw is closed until the 16th for vacation but I sent them an email anyway.

First pic is of the Kershaw connection, second pic is of my velineon esc connector, both Traxxas plugs.

My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

DO'H....................
    use a small flat screw driver & push the conector out of the holder. Unsolder & resolder.
    ESC & battery dead?
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

I've just ordered a DeWalt motor from Kershaw Designs ...thanks for this post. I'll need to give the motor connections a once over.
    Rock n Rolla !

that connector OG doesnt look like a genuine traxxas connector they used. atleast not like the stock esc you have and whats on mine. I always check connectors on all my stuff i get either from traxxas or any where.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    I've just ordered a DeWalt motor from Kershaw Designs ...thanks for this post. I'll need to give the motor connections a once over.
    Yeah your motor might run backwards. oh no....yawn

Quote Originally Posted by BL-Bob View Post
    Yeah your motor might run backwards. oh no....yawn
    That is not the motor connector, it's the POWER connector and has NOTHING to do with a motor direction. Plugging a battery into an ESC with the polarity reversed is a great way to fry both the ESC and battery, as I'm sure you are aware.

Almost as troubling as that major goof on the part of KD is the fact that it seems they use an unlicensed copy of the THCC. I'll be mentioning this to Traxxas corporate.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-22-2012 at 12:47 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    that connector OG doesnt look like a genuine traxxas connector they used. atleast not like the stock esc you have and whats on mine. I always check connectors on all my stuff i get either from traxxas or any where.
    When I connected the esc to my battery it sparked like heck and I thought the end of the world was here!!!

But it turned out ok. I'll take a look at that connector when I get home to see if its a traxxas brand.

Sent from my old phone

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    When I connected the esc to my battery it sparked like heck and I thought the end of the world was here!!!

But it turned out ok. I'll take a look at that connector when I get home to see if its a traxxas brand.

Sent from my old phone
    If they don't look exactly like this, they are considered knockoffs:
    http://traxxas.com/products/parts/accessories/highcurrentconnector

Notice the "TRX" on the female housing and the double bump with the "+" and "-" on the male housing.

tattletale!!

Kidding. Bottom line, I wouldnt expect this from a well name distributor. I bet its the new guys fault
    "RED"

Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    When I took the blades out to switch sides, the soldering job was the worst I've ever seen. I'm surprised it hadn't fallen off already. (I had to re-solder)

Sent from my old phone

RC Qualifier
    Hey O.G....can we get a pic of ur overall car...i kinda want to see what a kershaw design looks like...thanks.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    That is not the motor connector, it's the POWER connector and has NOTHING to do with a motor direction. Plugging a battery into an ESC with the polarity reversed is a great way to fry both the ESC and battery, as I'm sure you are aware.
    LOL Yes, you would be correct if you thought I was responding to the original ESC post. Instead you are obliviously unaware I was responding to the post I had quoted about a BRUSHED MOTOR wiring concern. That would be simply corrected by reversing the two BRUSHED MOTOR wires, as I'm sure you are aware.(yawn)

Here's a back atcha. You are CORRECT. I thought you simply read the OP wrong. Instead it was me who missed the point of your post. I'll claim that I was too concerned with members possibly destroying their property. Either way, I apologize if you felt insulted. Perhaps you can explain why the yawns are necessary or appropriate.

Continuing with the motor wire issue : KD, in my experience, packages thin wire and substandard connectors with their Dewalts. Yes they will work, but you'll get more efficiency and performance by going with 12AWG wires and decent gold-plated 4mm bullet connectors (minimum.)

Almost as troubling as that major goof on the part of KD is the fact that it seems they use an unlicensed copy of the THCC. I'll be mentioning this to Traxxas corporate.
    What is the THCC?

Sent from my old phone
    I had this happen with a deans connector i did some time back but i was hooking up a old nicd pack so it didnt spark much but i was concerned for sure with the sparks flying around. dont they charge you like 10 for soldering and they did a cheap job of soldering the connector and did it wrong. i would ask for a new system and battery just in case and a refund back on the soldering job if you paid for it because you never know what damage could be done to your lipo or nimh what ever battery you used to connect to it and them pay shipping back to them also. have you gotton a response back from them on that issue?

Notice the "TRX" on the female housing and the double bump with the "+" and "-" on the male housing.
    I could tell from the cheap looking plastic it looks like compared to my true trx connectors i have since i took them off traxxas esc's and batteries from traxxas directly.

Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    What is the THCC?
    Traxxas
    High
    Current
    Connector

Sent from my old phone

Traxxas
    High
    Current
    Connector
    thanks ksb5rl, i just checked their site on the connectors and now i know what you mean total difference for sure on the way they look.

I like some of the combos they have put together but price wise is a little more than other places but i guess i say that because i got mine 50 cheaper shipped LOL.

Your assessment of their pricing vs others' is correct.

RC Champion
    My fault quotes should only be used on full pages of pictures one post up. The yawns was my attempt to show my boredom about a motor that might run in reverse. When OG's OP was about a much more serious problem.(black to red = smoke and he still uses THCC)

I compared the THCC connector on the KD with a factory velineon esc and they appear to be identical. But according to the Traxxas pic in ksb's link, the male connectors don't come with TRX on them. I've never seen a knock-off so I don't know what to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by IvVaum View Post
    Hey O.G....can we get a pic of ur overall car...i kinda want to see what a kershaw design looks like...thanks.
    My eRevo is broken down and I put it in my 1/8 buggy so I won't post any pics. I will tell you the esc is ginormous. It's footprint equals 3 of my MMP and I'm not kidding... It looks like a sandwich in there.

The motor looks like the same dimensions as my CC 1800kv.

Quote Originally Posted by BL-Bob View Post
    My fault quotes should only be used on full pages of pictures one post up. The yawns was my attempt to show my boredom about a motor that might run in reverse. When OG's OP was about a much more serious problem.(black to red = smoke and he still uses THCC)
    OR... certain people could read more carefully, lol. (Referring to myself.)
    Some of my Genuine THCCs:

Almost definitely a knockoff:

Notice the bad plastic molding (circles on the corners of the housing) and the centered detents on the contacts.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-23-2012 at 08:18 PM.

i was looking at pics of the other side of the traxxas connector the side that has the humps on there, if you look at the traxxas connectors it has more of the hump compared to the knock off's that are more flat. http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/10...xxasFemale.jpg
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/10...raxxasMale.jpg
    or this page they dont look like traxxas connectors to me not sure if they will look different when you actually recieve product but those are the ones i see on the other site

Almost definitely a knockoff:

Notice the bad plastic molding (circles on the corners of the housing) and the centered detents on the contacts.
    Does this put KD on the "bad" list? I can take and send more pics.

I wouldnt put KD on the bad list i just would watch the connector being put on and check it to make sure its a true connector and that its soldered on right and good. atleast i would do that.

Due to personal preferences, I have enough reasons to avoid KD. Don't you now too?
    If you were referring to blocking them on the forums, I hope it won't come to that.

You can send pic(s) to me via PM if you wish.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-23-2012 at 10:43 PM.