Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyKidd View Post
    awsome project love what ur doing keep it up and hope you win a race or 2 in the end!
    Heh thanks

I've sort of reset my goals from the start, the fast guys and buggies on a dry track are REALLY fast. I really don't know if the Bandit (or me) could ever beat them. But if I am within a second of their fastest times, and I don't get lapped over the 5 minute race then I would consider that mission accomplished

I've also changed my mind in the order of things... Originally I had said tranny upgrades before more speed, now I think more speed first. I am not diffing out much, nor do I feel like I need more anti-squat, nor is my motor running too hot... So the stock plastic tranny is doing its job.

What I need right now is acceleration and top speed, pure and simple

PS: I got a new front shock tower

Last edited by cunawarit; 08-04-2012 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
    Heh thanks

I've sort of reset my goals from the start, the fast guys and buggies on a dry track are REALLY fast. I really don't know if the Bandit (or me) could ever beat them. But if I am within a second of their fastest times, and I don't get lapped over the 5 minute race then I would consider that mission accomplished

Sounds like a very realistic goal. Back when I first got my T4 for racing mod truck, I was running in 2nd week after week. The guy in first was lapping me pretty much every time and I was lapping up to third place every time. It was obvious that I wasn't gonna beat him any time soon. So, my goal was to stay on his lap and eventually it happened. Sometimes first place just isn't an option, but setting a realistic goal(like staying on the lead lap or keeping a consistent close lap time to the leader) can really help you to improve instead of getting discouraged.

Oh, and a year later I won the mod truck championship.

What I need right now is acceleration and top speed, pure and simple
    Have you given any more thought to the aluminum/ delrin gear set with ball diff? I know you're already running the old stock plastic gears, so the weight savings may not be much, but the ball diff will probably reduce rotating mass slightly over the planetary diff and will also give you full adjustability so you can carve inside of those other buggies without diffing out.

PS: I got a new front shock tower
    Is that a fiberglass SRT tower that you modded? Almost looks like a Blue Eagle tower:

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Sounds like a very realistic goal. Back when I first got my T4 for racing mod truck, I was running in 2nd week after week. The guy in first was lapping me pretty much every time and I was lapping up to third place every time. It was obvious that I wasn't gonna beat him any time soon. So, my goal was to stay on his lap and eventually it happened. Sometimes first place just isn't an option, but setting a realistic goal(like staying on the lead lap or keeping a consistent close lap time to the leader) can really help you to improve instead of getting discouraged.

Oh, and a year later I won the mod truck championship.
    Thanks for the reassurance, you had a serious weapon there though I find it encouraging that the fastest guy last time I went to the track had exactly the same buggy as the slowest whom I beat. I've realized now that winning a gunfight with a slingshot will take some time an patience And I am not putting down the Bandit here, I am also talking about myself, as keeping up with drivers who have been racing for years is no mean feat! Not even with exactly the same car they have.

Right now my buggy is slower for sure, but having said that I can control it relatively well. I am not really sure that I could control one of those super quick buggies that always win the races.

Have you given any more thought to the aluminum/ delrin gear set with ball diff? I know you're already running the old stock plastic gears, so the weight savings may not be much, but the ball diff will probably reduce rotating mass slightly over the planetary diff and will also give you full adjustability so you can carve inside of those other buggies without diffing out.

I have given thought to the aluminium gear set and ball diff. It is something that I will definitely try out in the future. I fully appreciate the benefits it would bring (particularly the diff) But right now I'm trying to watch my spending so I am picking and choosing what to do next carefully.

I may be entirely wrong about this, but it seems to me that it used to be the case that power was kinda always hard to attain in RC. But now things have changed, huge power is relatively cheap so the gains to be made from lightening transmision components is not quite as large as they would have been in the past. So a large part of me thinks that the lipo battery wouldn't be a bad buy at all.

Is that a fiberglass SRT tower that you modded? Almost looks like a Blue Eagle tower:

And yeah, it is a modded SRT tower Thanks for the tip, even after the cutting it is SO much stiffer than stock.

RC Qualifier
    So, racing again this evening and I've done some work to try and get more speed and grip roll less. Here it is:

Speed:

Increased motor timing a tad, but not overdoing it. Tested it, and it runs hotter but not incredibly hot

Also got me a couple of these:

It is HUGE, so there goes my plan for a shorty Lipo I couldn't get a cheap shorty as club rules dictate that Lipos have to be BRCA approved. And I wasn't too bothered any more since the car seems to be very nicely balanced now.

Anyway, I did say huge, right... So I have to do this to make it fit:

A thick washer under here:

And under here:

I'm a little concerned about what it does to CG, but nothing that cannot be fixed easily with some stick on weights.

Length wise it didn't quite fit either without a hammer (not a good thing with a Lipo!), so I had to cut here:

Grip rolling:

I wanted to reduce edge bite on the tyres, so I clipped spikes off the tyres.:

From testing yesterday, the front seems to have helped a fair bit.

Then I did the rears too... I hope it works

RC Champion
    what kind of track do you run on?

RC Qualifier
    Grass, very grippy.

To cut a long story short I was second from last today on the B final (only and A and a B final). People whom I was close to the first time I went racing gave me a resounding beating today.

Now I feel that people whom I beat before are SO SO SO far ahead of me that they seem nearly unbeatable. For the first time I felt frustrated, which didn't help... Back to the drawing board when it comes to setup... And expectations, I need to go out and be clean even if it seems slow to me, it is better than rolling over on every corner

Overall not a happy Bandit racer today.
    Last edited by cunawarit; 08-10-2012 at 06:16 PM.

RC Qualifier
    OK think think, it grip rolls. What to do?.... First things, that come to mind:

* Go back to the softer red and pink springs, the roll will be taken by the suspension and not flip the car over. When I was running red and pink springs the car leaned over more, but it didn't roll so easy.

* Limit droop up front, I used to run less drop up front, I added some more in an attempt to get more front grip. Sounds like I should go back to what I had.

It seems like going back, but really I found this outing so frustrating I do want to go back

Advice from any seasoned racers?

Is anybody running ribbed front tires? Where I race they are the norm, but then again, all the tracks I've raced on are dirt. Ribs will surely cut down on front end bite, but maybe too much for a grass track.

Don't get frustrated. Perhaps it just wasn't your day. Trust me, it happens. The whole first month or so of the 2011 season I was driving like a noob. Took me that long to figure out that I was getting excited and over driving. New season and I wanted to make a statement. Unfortunately the statement I was making is "Don't worry about him anymore. He forgot how to drive." Once I figured out what I was doing wrong, I started getting my patience back and before you know it, was battling for TQ and a-main wins. Sometimes slow is fast.

Keep the faith!

RC Qualifier
    Most of them are running staggered ribs, or cut staggered ribs, this sort of thing:

I already ordered some

Oh, and I know I am over driving, I'd never take the lines that I was taking on a 1:1 car, I was running wide too often, barrelling into turns too quickly, over jumping the jamps, etc.... I need to be calm and collected, much like the first time out, the first time out I expected to be last. And I was the slowest, but simply didn't crash as I never lost my cool and ended up not doing badly at all. Now that I know the car is much better, I expect to do better and lose my composure.