Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    been working most of day on getting body ready for paint. only thing left to do now is drill holes for body post quick, wipe it all down and lay down some color. got a nasty cut while trimming up wheel wells though. razor blade when right through the entire first layer of skin down to the point where i could see tendons or muscle. not good when you can look into your hand and see muscle tissue. luckily i missed everything important like tendons and whatnot.

probably should have went and got stiches but i just super glued it back together. they use it at the hospital why cant i just do the same at home? lol

anyways........... ill have pics up in a while. going to go run the slash a little without the body
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

rough cut done here

a little fitment testing

and heres where i sliced myself up good

window masks on

Drag It!

installing some masks over the parts that will be florecent green

"cage bars"

more of the cage/framing

so what you guys think so far?

this took me hours to do by the way lol

Drag It!

looking pretty snazzy i must say

decided to do the very tips of the wheel wells in green as well

the rest of the body will be black

this is where the body is at right now.
    Drag It!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    impressive graves, great job.
    humay has left the building, peace.

whats impressive? lol mostly just time consuming lol
    Drag It!

whats stock gearing for the xl-5 2wd slash?

whats stock gearing for vxl 2wd slash?
    Drag It!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i dont think i have the patients anymore on doing that to the body. i use to before, i just want to run them with or without the body on, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    whats impressive? lol mostly just time consuming lol

yeah i bought the body so i figured i may as well make it look good. i dont like the idea of the wires just flopping around to get all messed up if i flip along with the body posts and what not.
    Drag It!

well..................................

fail on my part.............................

got a light first coat of paint on and then ran out of metalic black paint.......................

new i should have bought more paint

well looks like im going to be waiting till monday to finish that up because i need more black, probably more green, and im going to get more white to be safe.

ill get a pic up of the little bit of painting that did get done after it dries some.
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    whats stock gearing for the xl-5 2wd slash? R/ 19/90

whats stock gearing for vxl 2wd slash? I think is 23/86, but i am not sure
    Nice job with the body
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

ok, that sounds right for gearing from what ive heard i believe. so i could step up my gearing to get a little more top end and still be safe then. because my "optional" high speed gearing is 23/86 and im running the 19/90 on the vxl system.

so my gear ratio is 4.74:1 (90/19)

stock is 3.74:1 (86/23)

my options are

ones above

4.53:1 (86/19)

3.91:1 (90/23)

so both lower combinations are still not as much as stock as far as top end. being that im running mostly in grass im thinking the 4.53 gearing would be better for me.

thoughts?
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    ok, that sounds right for gearing from what ive heard i believe. so i could step up my gearing to get a little more top end and still be safe then. because my "optional" high speed gearing is 23/86 and im running the 19/90 on the vxl system.

so my gear ratio is 4.74:1 (90/19)

stock is 3.74:1 (86/23)

my options are

ones above

4.53:1 (86/19)

3.91:1 (90/23)

so both lower combinations are still not as much as stock as far as top end. being that im running mostly in grass im thinking the 4.53 gearing would be better for me.

thoughts?
    I think maybe you can start with 19/90 and see what is the motor/ESC/battery temp, if the temps are ok, i go with 23/90 or 19/86 and see what happen, if the temps are ok again, i go with 23/86 and see what happen.
    I think is ok with 23/90 or 19/86 but i am not sure. You can test all those gearings and see the results.

Just my suggestion
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

what should my temps be below to be completely safe? because im not looking to be cruising down the road at 70mph or anything. i mean the 4.74:1 gearing is fast enough for what i do, but i mean hey if i can safely go faster why not? right? lol

i did see another guy was running the stock 23/86 gearing on his 2wd vxl slash and cooked his stock 7 cell 3000mah battery and got the esc really hot as well. not trying to do that lol.

but my battery is 4500mah. but doesnt that just mean i would have longer run times?
    Last edited by 08kgraves; 08-04-2012 at 10:00 PM.
    Drag It!

anyone have imput on the spring situation i posted?

i bought 4 progressive t-maxx springs on recomendation of the hobby shop i was at. but front seems a little to bouncy since the end parts are already completely compressed. i was thinking of putting the stock rear springs on the front and leaving the maxx springs on the rear. does anyone know the spring ratio's for stock springs front and rear of a 2wd slash? anyone know the spring ratio of the white t-maxx progressive rate springs?
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    what should my temps be below to be completely safe? because im not looking to be cruising down the road at 70mph or anything. i mean the 4.74:1 gearing is fast enough for what i do, but i mean hey if i can safely go faster why not? right? lol

i did see another guy was running the stock 23/86 gearing on his 2wd vxl slash and cooked his stock 7 cell 3000mah battery and got the esc really hot as well. not trying to do that lol.

but my battery is 4500mah. but doesnt that just mean i would have longer run times?
    Max temp for motor 200F but in that point can damage the magnets. Maybe 150F max or less
    The VXL ESC have thermal-protection but is ok check the temps.
    Battery: I dont know but below 150F or less is ok
    yes, more mah is more run time.
    Maybe you can check the temps every 10 to 15 or maybe 20 minutes. if the motor or the battery are hot (150F or more) stop the car and cool down.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

alright, ill take my temp gun out and give her a little check up every once in a while and see where its at temp wise.
    Drag It!

ok.....................

paint pics

can you see the metalic? its through the clear film still

think the roll cage/frameing will come out nice.

and the inside. like i said needs more paint cus i ran out of black but doesnt look half bad now.

time for some heavier shock oil (in rear shocks to just no pic of those shocks off)

took her out for a run after the rain stopped. fun slashing through puddles with now worries the new oil seemed to work pretty good. and i also took the stock rear springs and put them on the front. its not super bouncy now the spring swap. might have to move the rear shock lower mounts in one notch. there all the way out by the wheels right now.

Drag It!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    did you just paint it right now? is'nt it early morning there? man you dont sleep, do you? LOL
    i get like that too, if i started something and did'nt finished it, i go out there and finish it, lol.
    heres what i did in less than 2 weeks.

e-revo conversion? looks good, i wanted to turn the slayer pro i had into an e-slayer. but i was going to use the revo suspenson so it was all wide stanced. but thats just because i was tired of it flipping over all the time lol.

so far havent had a problem with flipping my slash really though, which is awesome.

but yeah its 2:30 am here lol. i painted the one coat that is on around 10:00pm though. but pretty much been working on the car since 10:30 this morning. lol
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    It is coming together very nicely though. The time you put in is worth it, and you should get a lot of fun out of that truck.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

fun the few times ive drove it so far even though it doesnt have a body on it yet. once i get the conector on the other battery and maybe some more batteries as well it will be funner with the longer run times. plus setting up jumps will always make things better
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    fun the few times ive drove it so far even though it doesnt have a body on it yet. once i get the conector on the other battery and maybe some more batteries as well it will be funner with the longer run times. plus setting up jumps will always make things better
    Watch out with jumping the slash because the parachuting effect is known to plague it. You may want to try and vent the body for better jumping results.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

yeah........... ive heard about that, thought about getting a flowtech body for that reason to but ended up not. i mostly just run around on the ground. wouldnt be big jumps probably either.
    Drag It!

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The parachuting will come into play at high speeds over bigger jumps. I would not hack up your body until the problem raises its head.
    My advice on the ft springs would be to use shorter springs made for ft shocks. Shock springs should not preloaded so much that there is no droop avail when using no spacers(except in on road setups) Losi has many options, and it is really easy to pick and choose due to their rating system:
    http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17347
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

yeah that was my concern. there was zero droop the way i had it with the long t-maxx springs up front. it would actually spring up with quickness lol. with the stock rear springs up front now and no preload spacers you can see the front end just barely drop a hair. thought about maybe cutting 1 coil off to see where that put it at. but it handles decent now so im not going to bother for the moment. the rear i think is pretty good. decent amount of droop with no spacers at all and even with one large spacer on each shock it still droops. right now the lower shock mounts are all the way out by the wheels all around. was thinking about moving the rears in one notch and seeing how that works because it squats a little much for my likings at this setting.

are the ones at the top that are listed for buggy the ones everyone says to use for slash?
    Drag It!

ok, made some adjustments and went for another test drive

change: moved rear lower shock mount to the center selection vs the full outside. took the one x-large preload spacer out of the rear shocks and installed a large and a medium spacer in its place.

result: fixed the rear bottoming out so easy and seemed to give me more control with the slightly higher spring rate due to not as much leverage on the wheels.

concerns:

front end which still pretty much has no droop at all seems to bounce around even over small little gravel.

front end also lifts a wheel when going fast around corners.

fix attempt:

im going to cut one coil off of each spring up front (stock rear spring moved to front) until i get some droop back in the spring. (trying to just work with what i have)

other concerns:

ok every time i do a power slide to the left (by nailing the brakes and spinning it around) it then pulls to the right when trying to drive in a strait line.

vise versa, if i do a power slide to the right (same way) it then pulls to the left when trying to drive in a strait line.

question:

what causes this wondering type effect after powerslides?

other things:

I also noticed that when im trying to corner (fast) the inside tire (which tries to lift) gets all the power and just spins until i let off the throttle and straiten out. now i know that these have an open differential with some gear lube in it. what wait do you recomend i try swapping out to when im ready? guy at the hobby shop i went to was talking about this and he said he uses either 60,000 or 600,000? i think he said 60,000 though. he said that allows slip still but takes it to the point where its almost like having a spool in the rear end. i will state that i do not want a spool no matter what! they are only good for going strait and brake things otherwise. so suggestions there?

question:

it also seemed like my slipper may be a little loose. its all the way in then 1 full turn out. is this good or do you guys recomend a different adjustment? im currently running traxxas vxl brushless setup with 7 cell 8.4V 4500mah battery, and my gearing is 19/90 which is a gear ratio of 4.74:1 but im about to switch to 19/86 which is a gear ratio of 4.53:1

adjustments i will make right now:

switching the spur gear from 90T down to 86T so that i get a little bit more top speed.

edit: guess i should say do tomorrow after i get some input on the slipper tightness and some sleep lol

edit again: will be going to local hobby shop tomorrow to get the pait i need to finish my body and hopefully get my other batteries connector soldered back on. i can solder but dont have a good gun or iron to do so sadly. mine sucks horribly and im not trying to mess something like that up using what i have lol
    Last edited by 08kgraves; 08-06-2012 at 01:36 AM.
    Drag It!

went to my local hobby shop today.

got my other batteries connector soldered back on

and...........

got some more black paint

along with some white backing paint.

they didnt have the green that i have/want to use so hope i still have enough.
    Drag It!

just layed down some more metalic black. one more coat then its onto the next color
    Drag It!

Last coat of metalic black is in place. Flourecent green is next

Which means I have to wait for black to dry completely so I can safely peel off all the tape in green spots
    Drag It!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    man thats going to turn out nice, cant wait for the result.

RC Champion
    If you feel like the front end is to bouncy, try a heavier wieght shock oil. What are you running in it now? BTW, Looks like this build is going great.

Edit: The new spur will give you more top end, but start watching your temps.

I usually run my slipper 1/4 turn to 1/2 a turn out, so yours definetly seems overly loose
    Last edited by MotorStuff; 08-06-2012 at 11:55 PM.
    Land of the free?

I think the front end is bouncy because the spring is way to long. the car doesnt sag at all really when i set it on the table. right now im running 45W oil in it.

yeah ill keep an eye on the temps for sure, but its actually still going to be undergeared quite a bit compared to stock so it shouldnt be a problem i would think. as now i can run it till it wont move and the motor/esc are barely even look warm to the touch.
    Drag It!

paint update:

ok so heres the pics i snapped after i let it dry enough to peal all the masking off. so here it is.

still need to clean body for prints and tape residue then lay down some green.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Looks really clean man!
    Land of the free?

RC Qualifier
    Nice!!!!!!
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

Grrrr......... Layed down some florecent green but ran out they didnt have any at lhs so i gotta wait till they do to finish my body
    Drag It!

ran out of paint before i even got any on the hood area sadly. and i still need more on the rest of the cage and door frames as well.

and the green still needs the white backing to shine properly.

ended up cutting 2 coils off the front springs to get it a little softer since the springs were basically just to long since there supposed to be for the rear. need to test drive it again to see how much it helped.

but the other battery that needed the connector soldered back on may be shot but may be savable. the initial charge was enough to spin the tires in there air for maybe 10 seconds but wouldnt even move once on the ground. so i started to cycle the battery with my charger. the first cycle it charged up like 500 mah and the second cycle it went up to 770mah. so this tells me my plan is working i think.
    Drag It!

Well, drove an your to hobby shop again today. Bought a 20t pinion, some more paint to finish my body, a 5000mah 25c 2S lipo battery, and im running the track here some. Well right now I'm waiting for batteries to charge lol
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Well, drove an your to hobby shop again today. Bought a 20t pinion, some more paint to finish my body, a 5000mah 25c 2S lipo battery, and im running the track here some. Well right now I'm waiting for batteries to charge lol
    Nice job with the body.
    I really want to see the body finish.

P.S: Thanks for the suggestion about the charger
    Last edited by DBG; 08-08-2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL