Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor Break-In.

RC Enthusiast

Motor Break-In.

Okay so I have finally learned about breaking in motors after burning out my first two. What I have learned is that I hook up my motor and then I let it run with the speed trim up approximately halfway for half an hour. From what I gather that is everything I need to do to break in my motor is there anything else I need to do once I get it or will I be able to go bashing and such after that half hour? Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by dskissel; 07-01-2012 at 07:40 PM.

RC Qualifier
    i broke in my motor that way.....and the motor lasted a week. when i bought new motor...this is how i broke it in
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmURaDC8_Nc this way lasted a loooot bettewr and my motor lasted waay longer . if i were you skip the brushled frustration and step up and go brushless baby!! you get a wa better experience with the motors and if you think about it all the money that you're going to spend on those crappy brushed motors will probally add up to the price of a brushless system.
    Last edited by tyrustler99; 07-01-2012 at 07:56 PM.
    Rustler...the greatest rc truck of them all

RC Qualifier
    +1 on water break in
    Rustler Killing Bandit

RC Enthusiast
    Is there any other preffered way than using the water? I don't think the stinger would work after that unless someone has done this method with the stinger itself. Also I have had bad experiences with water. (two ruined esc's and that might have wrecked one of the motors). Still thank you for your help. And please anyone else reading this, it would be a big help to a lot of new people here if we all knew ways to break in our motors and to know that we have to break them in, so people don't ruin there motors like I did! Thank you!

RC Enthusiast
    Would this work as a water break in?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVk4k...eature=related
    Last edited by dskissel; 07-02-2012 at 06:12 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dskissel View Post
    Is there any other preffered way than using the water? I don't think the stinger would work after that unless someone has done this method with the stinger itself. Also I have had bad experiences with water. (two ruined esc's and that might have wrecked one of the motors). Still thank you for your help. And please anyone else reading this, it would be a big help to a lot of new people here if we all knew ways to break in our motors and to know that we have to break them in, so people don't ruin there motors like I did! Thank you!
    you cannot ruin a brushed or brushless (if sensorless) motor with water. just keep the esc dry and do it. its really the only break in method that works 100% of the time
    Rustler Killing Bandit

RC Enthusiast
    Okay, well is there anyone who suggests the dry break in method? I am a little nervous about sticking my motor into water still (not that I don't believe you six, I am just nervous sticking it in water).

You can break the motor in without using water, in fact I am pretty sure that is what Traxxas recommends in the manual.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    Dad, do you know if it says that in the actual rustler manual or the motor manual?
    Last edited by dskissel; 07-03-2012 at 10:43 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I broke in my Velineon brushless motor in water for about 5 minutes and it broke the motor for some reason, so much for waterproof.
    Rustler Vxl,Slash 2WD,Slash 4X4,SPC Lipos

RC Qualifier
    Lol jk jk hahaha

RC Enthusiast
    ^What just happened?!?!

RC Competitor
    so how wld u break in a brushed motor dry ???

RC Enthusiast
    Well you would do it like the dry version here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVk4k...eature=related But still, is there anyone who would vouch for a dry break in over a wet one?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by falconsare5@yahoo.com View Post
    I broke in my Velineon brushless motor in water for about 5 minutes and it broke the motor for some reason, so much for waterproof.
    that is just wrong in so many ways.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by turok View Post
    that is just wrong in so many ways.
    Yea that was confusing me too, but would that actually happen?

Dad, do you know if it says that in the actual rustler manual or the motor manual?
    Pretty sure it is stated in all XL-5 manuals.

Brushless motors do not need break in, the break in process is to seat the brushes properly and since a brushless motor has no brushes break in is not needed. Brushless motors can run totally submerged but they are not sealed so water gets in and if this happens you MUST do maintenance or your bearings will fail.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Dad, this clears up a ton of confusion for me and some others reading this thread! But still, Any other opinions on a dry or wet break in?
    Last edited by dskissel; 07-03-2012 at 12:47 PM.

i just been reading up on breaking in motors about ten minutes ago.
    I prefer using water but not submerging it. Also low power.
    But this is what the company suggests for there motors.
    Connect motor to voltage source half of what the motor is rated for.
    Run until batteries fade.
    Reverse polarity and using fresh batteries run again until fade.
    Brushes should be smooth.

This is the dry method they use.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post

Brushless motors do not need break in, the break in process is to seat the brushes properly and since a brushless motor has no brushes break in is not needed. Brushless motors can run totally submerged but they are not sealed so water gets in and if this happens you MUST do maintenance or your bearings will fail.
    I was totally kidding lol!!

RC Qualifier

There is a time and place for everything, this was neither for kidding. The O/P was looking for help and advise you just confused he situation.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    There is a time and place for everything, this was neither for kidding. The O/P was looking for help and advise you just confused he situation.
    My apologies then

RC Enthusiast
    It's fine falcon, and Dad, I have the xl-1 and in the manual it says nothing about breaking in the motor so if it's possible could you tell me what the manual says (unless that is what trax said) because i will most likely do that instead of a wet break-in. Also thanks for all the help you guys. It is extremely appreciated!

It really helps us know what motor you have. As for breaking in for closed endbell motors the best way as always been the water break in method where as high performance rebuildable brush motors you would do a no load dry break in method b/c the silver brushes are very soft. I understand that Traxxas in the XL-5 manual states for the Titan break in the motor running on a smooth open surface but this goes against what countless motor builders and tuners have stated over the last 20years or so. You should never break in a brush motor with a load or high voltage.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 07-03-2012 at 03:18 PM.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Enthusiast
    Well I am having a Traxxas Stinger being shipped to me right now if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    i just been reading up on breaking in motors about ten minutes ago.
    I prefer using water but not submerging it. Also low power.
    But this is what the company suggests for there motors.
    Connect motor to voltage source half of what the motor is rated for.
    Run until batteries fade.
    Reverse polarity and using fresh batteries run again until fade.
    Brushes should be smooth.

This is the dry method they use.
    I forgot to add this is with no load on the motor.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    I forgot to add this is with no load on the motor.
    Are you talking about Traxxas here or some other company?

The Traxxas stringer? Very solid and durable motor. Just mount it to your truck but don't attach the pinion to it and run for about 10mins at 1/4 throttle and you'll be set.

RC Champion
    I'll copy what it says in the manual. Just follow that. Give me a second to get it...

If you would rather not do a water break-in, get yourself some motor break-in drops. Trinity makes some good ones and there are a bunch of other companies that do also. Put a drop or two near each brush and run the motor with a 3-4v power source. Apply another drop or two every few minutes for 10-15 minutes. Clean everything with motor cleaner and compressed air, oil the bushings and run it.

Biggest thing is to keep the comm/brushes lubed to keep the arcing down while the brushes seat. The break-in drops will also soften the brushes and help them seat quicker and better.

Are you talking about Traxxas here or some other company?
    From some motor manufacturer, I had downloaded it a while back for some other info that i needed back then, and forgot about it until now.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Dad, this clears up a ton of confusion for me and some others reading this thread! But still, Any other opinions on a dry or wet break in?
    i tried the dry break in twice and both motors lasted about a week...trust me getting wet is well worth it....i would just go brushless....its worth the money...got mine a fw weeks a go and my rusty HAULS
    Rustler...the greatest rc truck of them all

RC Enthusiast
    Ok so another question, if this makes sense, could I possibly just do a wet break in and then just do another break in session but dry? That way I would have both fields covered, and this shouldn't ruin the motor if I am understanding this correctly right? If not, please tell! And also thank you guys for all of your wonderful help!

Ok so another question, if this makes sense, could I possibly just do a wet break in and then just do another break in session but dry? That way I would have both fields covered, and this shouldn't ruin the motor if I am understanding this correctly right? If not, please tell! And also thank you guys for all of your wonderful help!
    All breaking in does it seat the brushes to the comm. After you water break in you do not need to break in the brushes anymore. Water break in will not ruin the motor. Plus when you're running the truck you do wear out the brushes so a dry break in method be pointless after a water break in. All you do is get 2 D size batteries, connect to motor and place motor in the water and run until the batteries die. If water looks dirty completely normal. After breaking in clean out the motor and oil the bushings. You're good to go.

RC Enthusiast
    So I just want to confirm, that after I do a wet break-in I would just be wearing away my brushes and it would be pointless to do a dry break in?

RC Enthusiast
    Okay so I have another question for you guys, I was reading through here and I noticed Trax De Max said that he prefers using water but not submerging the motor. How is that possible? Also how would one go about to do that?

By wetting the brushes and comm area. no need to drop the whole motor in.

And distilled water, not tap water.

RC Enthusiast
    So I would just get those parts wet once and then do the break in process and I'd be fine or hold the brushes and comm areA in the water the entire break in time?