RC Competitor

Motor/Esc Recommendations?

I am looking to upgrade my motor/esc and wanted some suggestions. I know a lot of people go with the Leopard Motor/SeaKing combination that you can get from OSE and Kintec, but I wanted to see what else is out there. I am not necessarily constrained by funding, so want to keep my options open. I am currently running dual 8400 mah traxxas batteries.

Would a 1515 neu/castle creations esc combo make sense?

I have called around to a variety of internet hobby shops and it is evident not a lot of people have experience with upgrading the Spartan. I even called Castle and asked for a motor recommendation for the Hydra Ice ESC and the guy said that they could not make any recommendations for things they do not support. He stated that the only configuration that Castle supports is the stock one.

Thanks for your suggestions.

--Matt

RC Qualifier
    Both my sons boat and mine are powered by Leopard 4082 1600 kv motors and seaking 180amp ESCs. This has proven to be a very reliable combination and my sons boat has hit a top speed of 67.8 m.p.h. With Prather 220 props we are always around the 60 mph area. We are still testing but I believe under the right conditions we could crack the 70mph barrier.

RC Competitor
    Thanks very much for the feedback, SJS. That is impressive speed that you are hitting there! Would be interested to hear what other people are running as well.

RC Qualifier
    Hi Matt, welcome to the forum.

Search around this forum and others like the Spartan forum over on OSE, and on youtube, and you will find there are several Spartan owners familiar with upgrading the Spartan.

As SJS has stated the Seaking/Leopard combination is very popular. I am also running the 4082 1600kv with 180 amp ESC combo in my Daughters Spartan with a prather 220 prop., and I'm running the Castle 1515 2200kv with 180 amp esc in my Spartan with an x442 prop.

I run the 1515 on 5S maximum with a smaller prop because my experience has shown that 2000kv plus motors on 6S are too much for the 180 amp ESC.

IMO the 1515 on 6S is more RPM than necessary on a boat used for sport running, but if you choose to run that motor on 6s, step up to a 240 amp ESC, and be prepared to upgrade your drive line as well.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 06-27-2012 at 09:01 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Both my sons boat and mine are powered by Leopard 4082 1600 kv motors and seaking 180amp ESCs. This has proven to be a very reliable combination and my sons boat has hit a top speed of 67.8 m.p.h. With Prather 220 props we are always around the 60 mph area. We are still testing but I believe under the right conditions we could crack the 70mph barrier.
    You should come over to my lake! Every morning its like GLASS! perfect calm. It measures about 1/4 mile by 200 feet wide and we are 1 of 9 houses currently built around it. I bet you could hit 70 MPH then!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    Hi Matt, welcome to the forum.

Search around this forum and others like the Spartan forum over on OSE, and on youtube, and you will find there are several Spartan owners familiar with upgrading the Spartan.

As SJS has stated the Seaking/Leopard combination is very popular. I am also running the 4082 1600kv with 180 amp ESC combo in my Daughters Spartan with a prather 220 prop., and I'm running the Castle 1515 2200kv with 180 amp esc in my Spartan with an x442 prop.

I run the 1515 on 5S maximum with a smaller prop because my experience has shown that 2000kv plus motors on 6S are too much for the 180 amp ESC.

IMO the 1515 on 6S is more RPM than necessary on a boat used for sport running, but if you choose to run that motor on 6s, step up to a 240 amp ESC, and be prepared to upgrade your drive line as well.

hog
    Hi hog,

Thanks for the warm welcome and all of the experience that you have shared in this post and others. I have an email into OSE (they were closed today) asking about a recommendation as well. It is not that I am opposed to the Jaguar/Seaking combo; I just wanted to see if there is something different out there. Reading your earlier posts with a few guesses on my part put me on the 1515 / Hydra Ice 240 combo. As you mentioned, the 1515 on 6s might be too much, but it sure could be fun for a bit :thumb up: I will post what I find out tomorrow and what I ultimately order.

--Matt

RC Qualifier
    Have fun with the upgrade, whichever combination you eventually go with.

There are others who have done the 1515 on 6S, and it is fast, but other issues like increased torque roll and the dreaded chine walk add to the challenge of running with a hot setup.

I hope the experience and information you find here on the forums helps you achieve a successful upgrade.

hog

RC Racer
    I moved from Leopard 4082 1600Kv, to a Leopard 4092 1730kv, running on a 180amp Seaking V.3. With a Octura X447 prop, I was running 108F on the motor, and 107F on the ESC with 6s. Keep in mind this was in the Atlantic, with a surface temp of 83F, and at that time I was running the 4082 motor w/ the X447 prop. I purchase the 4092 in the hopes I can utilize my Octura X450 prop. Both ESC and Motor are cheap enough in that i won;t mind replacing them, when they go bye bye. In contrast, stock Traxxas/Castle motor and ESC run in the neighborhood of 200.00+ easily. I sold a brand new Traxxas/Castle Brushless system from my Spartan on Ebay for 185.00, it lasted 2 days, and nearly paid for my new motor and esc.

John

RC Qualifier
    could the vxl system fit?
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.

RC Competitor
    Thanks much for everybody's feedback; I really appreciate it. Steven at OSE and I have been trading emails and he suggested a neu 1521 running a m445 prop. I am assuming i would run a 240 A esc. Any thoughts on this combo?

--Matt

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIFTT IX MR View Post
    I moved from Leopard 4082 1600Kv, to a Leopard 4092 1730kv, running on a 180amp Seaking V.3. With a Octura X447 prop, I was running 108F on the motor, and 107F on the ESC with 6s. Keep in mind this was in the Atlantic, with a surface temp of 83F, and at that time I was running the 4082 motor w/ the X447 prop. I purchase the 4092 in the hopes I can utilize my Octura X450 prop. Both ESC and Motor are cheap enough in that i won;t mind replacing them, when they go bye bye. In contrast, stock Traxxas/Castle motor and ESC run in the neighborhood of 200.00+ easily. I sold a brand new Traxxas/Castle Brushless system from my Spartan on Ebay for 185.00, it lasted 2 days, and nearly paid for my new motor and esc.

John
    John,

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you have a very nice setup as well. How do you like the X447 prop?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIFTT IX MR View Post

John
    As it turns out, I am going with a setup similar to your. Steven at OSE is hooking me up. Thanks to you and everybody for your feedback and support.

--Matt

RC Qualifier
    i run the cc1515 in mine with a swordfish 200A esc on 6s with no problems what so ever and the esc only costs 100 bucks
    MINE ARE FASTER THAN GPS!!!

RC Competitor
    Awesome. What type of speed are you getting?