RC Racer

Traxxas Customer Service/Warranty Question

I've had my Spartan for roughly a month and have only taken it out 3 times. After the first time, I found out that the "waterproof" receiver box was not waterproof. My receiver drowned and I had to purchase a new one. Since that time, the addition of marine grease has solved the problem. According to the CS rep it should have come with marine grease around the gasket. It did not.

I took my boat out again on Sunday and the hull and the top are separating. It's pretty obvious that there was insufficient glue. In addition, the hull top is tearing across the beam from this separation. The tear is about an inch long at this point. I called Traxxas CS and they immediately said it was a manufacturing defect. Awesome they admit it without question.

They (Traxxas) then asked me to send them my boat. I'm sorry but I don;t think I should be inconvenienced by absorbing the cost and the time lost returning a $450 item that is less than a month old. I offered to email pictures (which I did) and he said he would contact the powers that be to see if they will send me a new hull without first sending the old hull.

They admited it was a manufacturing defect, I provided proof of such defect and now I'm waiting for them to make it right. BTW, I have a Snap On boat and I told them I am willing to accept a standard hull provided they also include the canopy.

How long should I wait for an answer before kicking it up the ladder?

RC Qualifier
    No idea.

As disappointing as a failure is, it sounds like they are treating you fairly and handling your claim to the best of their ability.

I would recommend a bit of patience.

hog

RC Racer
    I understand the patience part. I was just trying to get a frame of reference for how long i should be patient.. On the other hand, the boat cost the better part of $500 and its obviously a manufacturing defect that manifested itself in the first month. I would think they would make this right immediately. Given the relatively short boating season the sooner the better.

RC Qualifier
    The shipping charges to return a defective hull are a bummer. Traxxas does do a good job other than that. I am surprised you could not dry out the receiver as they are pretty durable. I used to use grease but that still did not keep the water out of the recweiver box. If the boat goes verticle the water pressure still gets in the box. I use a small amount of silicone sealant on the cover where the wires go in. This will cure the problem.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    The shipping charges to return a defective hull are a bummer. Traxxas does do a good job other than that. I am surprised you could not dry out the receiver as they are pretty durable. I used to use grease but that still did not keep the water out of the recweiver box. If the boat goes verticle the water pressure still gets in the box. I use a small amount of silicone sealant on the cover where the wires go in. This will cure the problem.
    Thanks for the waterproofing tip. I dont think I should have to pay to return a product that has a manufacturing defect.

RC Qualifier
    Truly amazing with you guys (US CUSTOMERS), there's a lot of hobby shop selling traxxas here in Canada but no customer service, I was trying to contact the toll free number by Traxxas but won't work it said for US Customers Only, so the hull did tear apart and what I did is put a Plastic Glue to join them again and it works, BTW the receiver box is totally not waterproof so I bought anOther receiver $40CAD when I drowned the boat, so now I keep on boating again, but never called with any Traxxas CS.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgemoulic View Post
    Truly amazing with you guys (US CUSTOMERS), there's a lot of hobby shop selling traxxas here in Canada but no customer service, I was trying to contact the toll free number by Traxxas but won't work it said for US Customers Only, so the hull did tear apart and what I did is put a Plastic Glue to join them again and it works, BTW the receiver box is totally not waterproof so I bought anOther receiver $40CAD when I drowned the boat, so now I keep on boating again, but never called with any Traxxas CS.

Sorry u havent reached Traxxas. Like you I replaced my receiver without asking anything of traxxas. I do however think a $500US boat hull should not start falling apart on the 3rd outing.