RC poster

Reverse but no Forward

Hi Guys, my summer project was to rebuild a couple of damaged (near new!) traxxas trucks donated by my brother. The Summit repaired easy with drive shafts and upgrade 2.4 Ghz Tqi transmitter and 6518 receiver. It runs great and me and the son are enjoying it very much.

The Rustler is more of a challenge. Same transmitter used for this truck with a second 6518 receiver.
    Problem is the rustler (not brushless vxl - the older model) switches on and pairs fine, but no forwards action.
    I have steering and reverse. This puzzles me because i have swapped the transmitter/ receiver out and proved that they work in the summit. So what would be the issue with the rustler? Steering is channel 1 and esc is ch 2.

It has an XL5 esc - as far as I can see this looks to be working and will let me program and pair fine.
    Could it be a motor or servo issue? If the motor works fine backwards why not forwards?

I thought it could be a battery issue but no change when I put in another battery.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Cheers,

Southcoaster

RC Qualifier
    have you reset your esc back to factory settings .....first reset the esc and see what that does.
    you can go here:
    https://traxxas.com/products/models/...tler?t=support
    download the manual ,,,,,
    go to pg 18 and read calibrate your esc and transmitter.
    Last edited by MONKEYPIARATE; 01-29-2015 at 09:07 AM.

RC Champion
    The ESC could be in race mode, which has no reverse.
    You can download the whole manual that monkey linked to, or look here for just esc programing and set up. https://traxxas.com/support/Programm...-Speed-Control
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

Quote Originally Posted by dave00bear View Post
    The ESC could be in race mode, which has no reverse.
    You can download the whole manual that monkey linked to, or look here for just esc programing and set up. https://traxxas.com/support/Programm...-Speed-Control
    That is what I was thinking too, the ESC is in Race Mode with the motor leads reversed.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    I read the title again, and I must have read or thought it backwards when I first replied. Thinking you had fwd. And no reverse.

RC poster
    Thanks Guys, some good suggestions but the first thing I did was program the esc and the calibration runs fine.
    Race mode has no reverse but I get reverse in training and normal.

In normal mode when I apply forwards throttle I can see the ESC light react, but no sound from the motor.
    very strange. I might try the reversing the motor wires solution but just wanted to check that will not damage anything?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthCoaster View Post
    Thanks Guys, some good suggestions but the first thing I did was program the esc and the calibration runs fine.
    Race mode has no reverse but I get reverse in training and normal.

In normal mode when I apply forwards throttle I can see the ESC light react, but no sound from the motor.
    very strange. I might try the reversing the motor wires solution but just wanted to check that will not damage anything?
    If it's the older rx/tx just reverse throttle switch on the controler or like you said , change the motor wires around . jmo
    1 Rusty VXL + Slash 4x4 Platinum

RC poster
    Ooops - I reversed the motor cables. It then had forwards but no reverse for 10 mins until the esc overheated and started smoking!!! Its now deceased and I will order a new one - I guess the esc was already faulty as my receiver and transmitter work fine on other cars.

RC poster
    Happy ending - 45 bucks for an esc from eBay and we are fully functional. My son loves the rustler and its been a great project for us both - thanks for the help guys !

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthCoaster View Post
    Happy ending - 45 bucks for an esc from eBay and we are fully functional. My son loves the rustler and its been a great project for us both - thanks for the help guys !
    Glad to hear it! And enjoy!